windows 8 start menu

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#136 Auroka

Auroka

Neowinian

Posted 28 July 2012 - 20:05

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times, Stop Exaggerating ! :p

True. I just don't understand why it goes in one ear and out the other.

Maybe I should have made the font size 48 instead. :rofl:

#137 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 28 July 2012 - 20:09

True. I just don't understand why it goes in one ear and out the other. Maybe I should have made the font size 48 instead. :rofl:

It's been known to work :laugh:

#138 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 28 July 2012 - 20:11

Andrea: If the shell files were included in the distribution it would be against the rules to discuss or link to it on Neowin. We do not allow links or discussion of materials that are distributed by those other than their copyright holders.

You have multiple Windows 7 machines. Just get them from one of your other computers.

#139 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 28 July 2012 - 20:12

There is no such thing as Windows CEMENT. There is no such Windows. Andrea Borman.

Yes there is

Posted Image

I suppose you have never heard of Windows RG either ?

http://www.deanliou....inRG/WinRG2.htm

#140 wahoospa

wahoospa

Neowinian

Posted 28 July 2012 - 20:24

Well I tested this so called software out on my other netbook. And when I extracted the zip file to the desktop and ran it. All I got was a command prompt Window saying" cannot find Explorer exe." And nothing happened. It did not disable the Metro theme and the Metro theme is still there and my computer is still working.

But just now when I had a look again at Tihiy's instructions he says-

So that's it. Tihiy did not put the shell files from Windows 7 in his patcher. The software is just a command prompt and you have to find the right shell files in Windows 7 and copy it into the patcher exe.

But tell me who is going to do that? And how many people are going to know exactly what files to copy? And also we are talking about going into shell files on Windows 7, that are most probably hidden files anyway.

The answer is not many people. So I think we should forget about this software. And just stick to Classic Shell,Start Menu 7 or Vi Start. Or another start menu software. True,they don't disable the Metro theme. What they do is give you a start button and Windows 7 start menu on top of the Metro theme.

But as I said before,once you've got one of these software's installed,most of them boot straight to the desktop now. Skipping the Metro start screen. So if you have Classic Shell or another start menu software installed,you don't know that the Metro theme is there.

As the Windows 7 start menu in Classic Shell,Start Menu 7 or other start menu program you installed. It takes over all of the start menu functions and does exactly what the real Windows 7 and Windows XP start menu does.So you don't have to deal with the Metro start menu. Andrea Borman.

You got the command prompt because you did what I did at first. You must make the sub directory named \en-Us\ and put explorer.exe.mui in that folder. If you just put all the files in the C:\explorer7 folder this will happen.

#141 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 28 July 2012 - 21:15

Andrea, you need to leave your system files alone and you don't understand how it works... Because you can NOT read the first post that OP stated. You are not one of the advanced users who can manage the patches, tweaks, etc. If you think you are an advanced user, then you shouldn't have a problem patching/tweaking the files instead of coming to here and complain to the developer/modder about the problem you have.

Lastly, Andrea, if you bought a computer for internet surfing/chatting, then you don't need to tweak/patch your system files since you can NOT understand how it works. Go back to chatting/surfing which you are normally doing. Leave this topic alone and let the users download and try it out.

--
Anyway, OP, good job. Looking forward to the new updates...
--
This thread is hilarious... Seems that Andera doesn't get it.

#142 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:22

Oh this software is a joke. The OP should write on the introduction of the software-

"This software disables the Metro theme. But sorry folks.
You have to provide your own files."

So who is going to take it seriously? Andrea Borman.

Windows 7 explorer.exe for Windows 8
Long story short, i made a wrapper to Windows 7 explorer.exe to run on Windows 8. You can try it now in order to have native Windows 7 desktop experience.

You need to have Windows 8 Release Preview 32-bit installed. Most likely won't work for other builds.

Installation: grab c:\windows\explorer.exe and c:\windows\en-us\explorer.exe.mui from windows 7 system or installation CD (with 7-zip). It must be 32-bit version (if it's 64-bit, grab files from SysWOW64 dir). You can use Windows 7 files from same language build or en-US build.

How could it possibly be any clearer than that? Please don't keep derailing this thread. And no there isn't a chance in hell it will work with XP's files.

#143 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 July 2012 - 23:59

Thread (somewhat) cleaned

Please remember that no matter how frustrated you may feel during a discussion, personal attacks are against our rules; likewise, accusing people of trolling is against our rules.

Thank you.

#144 substrance

substrance

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:03

Wow, Tihiy this is beyond awesome, please continue your work on this.
I really, really hate Metro but i love some under-the-hood changes in Win8, so this really made me happy!

Looks like i joined here two years ago but this is the first thing that made me post a comment.

#145 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 August 2012 - 23:13

Tihiti, RTM is out, and this is your time to shine!

#146 jonny8

jonny8

Neowinian

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:15

Tihiy, please, PLEASE! create another patch for the RTM, i cant stand it, but i really want the restore features of win 8
thank you in advance!

#147 jonny8

jonny8

Neowinian

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:44

http://www.msfn.org/...-for-windows-8/
ok obviously it works with RTM
THANK YOU Tihiy!!!

#148 syncore

syncore

Neowinian

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:50

Funny how so many people always have to chime in with their two cents about this "defeating the purpose of Win8, blah blah" rather than just appreciating the technical skill and utility of this workaround. As with everything else I see online, so many people criticize, yet so few people actually produce anything of value. Great work, OP.

#149 Panda X

Panda X

Neowinian

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:10

I guess that's a plus to leaving 7's start menu and taskbar in the msstyles. Otherwise they would have dropped to that broken classic effect.

#150 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 August 2012 - 21:23

Windows CEMeNT: