windows 8 start menu

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#91 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:48

I don't think MS will "modify the code" for it not to work.

MS does not do that. People just misunderstood the company. MS was talking about not bringing the Start Menu with a reg hack, so this shall work for RTM.(Or mostly...)

#92 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 23 July 2012 - 19:57

Well I have just looked on my Windows 7 netbook,in Windows System folder and in Windows System 32. But I could not find any of those shell file names the OP told us about.

It could be because my Windows Explorer settings are set to hide hidden drives and folders. Andrea Borman.

#93 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 23 July 2012 - 21:25

Evidently you're not reading his instructions properly then because it says, quite clearly that you get them from /windows, not from System or System32

#94 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 23 July 2012 - 21:44

Evidently you're not reading his instructions properly then because it says, quite clearly that you get them from /windows, not from System or System32

Well I have looked in my Windows folder as well and I never saw those file names. And the folder Explorer in Windows is just a short cut to Windows Explorer. And when I click on it it opens Windows Explorer. Andrea Borman.

#95 Josh the Nerd

Josh the Nerd

Neowinian

Posted 23 July 2012 - 21:48

Well I have looked in my Windows folder as well and I never saw those file names. And the folder Explorer in Windows is just a short cut to Windows Explorer. And when I click on it it opens Windows Explorer. Andrea Borman.

You found it. That's not a folder; it's explorer.exe, the file you're looking for.

#96 KRazpopov

KRazpopov

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Omnia 7

Posted 23 July 2012 - 23:20

And the folder Explorer in Windows is just a short cut to Windows Explorer. And when I click on it it opens Windows Explorer. Andrea Borman.

OK, how can you not know the difference between a folder and an application? That is stuff that even beginner computer users should know.
If your details pane is turned on in Windows 7's explorer, then you'd notice that when you select explorer.exe, it lists it as an application, not a directory. So there's another visual differentiation, if you're not able to tell what it is by the icon.

Also, if you haven't noticed, the way the file structure works in Explorer, it first lists the folders in alphabetical order, and then other files will be sorted again alphabetically, only they'll be under the folders. So there's another hint on how to tell a difference between an application and a directory.

#97 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 24 July 2012 - 00:00

I can assure you they are there

Attached Images

• explorer.png

#98 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:06

Well here is my Windows folder on Windows 7. First the EN file and then the second images is of the files(batch files I presume inside the EN folder.) And the third image is of the Windows Explorer icon which is just a shortcut to Windows Explorer. It does not give you the shell files.

I am using print Screen and Paint,so it would not capture the whole of my Windows folder. That's why I have got 3 images.

So what do we do now with those folders? And which folders are you supposed to copy into the patch?
I still say he should provide the files for us like they do with every other software. Andrea Borman.

Windows 7 Explorer 1..JPG

Windows 7 Explorer-EN exe files..JPG

Windows 7 Explorer 3..JPG

#99 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:45

Can a mod rename this thread to "AndreaBorman Support" so we can all help her out with tasks because this constant derailing of threads is becoming annoying.

#100 Auroka

Auroka

Neowinian

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:47

Well here is my Windows folder on Windows 7. First the EN file and then the second images is of the files(batch files I presume inside the EN folder.) And the third image is of the Windows Explorer icon which is just a shortcut to Windows Explorer. It does not give you the shell files.

I am using print Screen and Paint,so it would not capture the whole of my Windows folder. That's why I have got 3 images.

So what do we do now with those folders? And which folders are you supposed to copy into the patch?
I still say he should provide the files for us like they do with every other software. Andrea Borman.

Posted Image

That's not a shortcut, that is explorer.exe.

The files needed are stated in the first post:
c:\windows\explorer.exe
c:\windows\en-us\explorer.exe.mui

Also, it's been said a million times - the files are not included because they're owned by Microsoft. Get it?

#101 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 July 2012 - 15:19

I've refrained from making these posts in the past that directly relate to Mrs. Borman, but for the love of everything, holy and righteous in this world, PLEASE get rid of that desktop, if you want to emulate Windows XP on Windows 7, I can help you with that! Here, look!

Posted Image

I'll give you the link to the theme, and would fit a LOT better with your customizations than using a butchered Windows Classic theme with a butchered XP start button.. D:

http://welovexp.devi...basic-207270167

Now to remain on topic, thanks for posting this tool, although I'm going to steer clear of it despite all the effort put into it, it's still a hack-job, and according to that MSDN thread has some bugs in it still. Besides, I'm really beginning to like that metro start screen..

#102 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 24 July 2012 - 15:31

I've refrained from making these posts in the past that directly relate to Mrs. Borman, but for the love of everything, holy and righteous in this world, PLEASE get rid of that desktop, if you want to emulate Windows XP on Windows 7, I can help you with that! Here, look!

I'll give you the link to the theme, and would fit a LOT better with your customizations than using a butchered Windows Classic theme with a butchered XP start button.. D:

http://welovexp.devi...basic-207270167

Now to remain on topic, thanks for posting this tool, although I'm going to steer clear of it despite all the effort put into it, it's still a hack-job, and according to that MSDN thread has some bugs in it still. Besides, I'm really beginning to like that metro start screen..

That does not look anything like the real Windows XP. The Classic Shell start menu does. Andrea Borman.

#103 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 July 2012 - 15:37

That does not look anything like the real Windows XP. The Classic Shell start menu does. Andrea Borman.

Right, but you can add classic shell to that, I don't use that theme, so I had no reason to use classic shell to emulate the Windows XP start menu.

#104 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 24 July 2012 - 15:43

Have you installed the best version of windows yet Andrea Borman ?

Microsoft combined 3 of its best operating systems, Windows CE, Windows ME and Windows NT, they named it Windows CEMENT, you should try it

#105 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:46

Have you installed the best version of windows yet Andrea Borman ?

Microsoft combined 3 of its best operating systems, Windows CE, Windows ME and Windows NT, they named it Windows CEMENT, you should try it

There is no such thing as Windows CEMENT. There is no such Windows. Andrea Borman.