Help With Budget Build For Friend

Build Or Buy For Friend  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should I help my friend Build or Buy their new computer?

• Help BUILD
    • Help BUY
  2. 2. If you answered Help BUY above, what brand would you get from the ones below (would be purchasing from Best Buy)

• Dell
    • HP
    • Sony
    • Asus, Or Other
    • I chose to BUILD

I come to this section of the forums knowing there are people on this site who are much more informed then myself about the latest and greatest components being offered these days. So any help that can be offered is much appreciated.

I have built a decent amount of comps over the years (I actually joined Neowin when I put together my very first computer) so I have already begun the process of putting together some components myself. So I post here as I am more interested in seeing what the hardware experts here in the community would put together when I supply the specifications/parameters of the build I am looking for.

Bear in mind this computer is for my friend. Not for myself. Unfortunately this person is also currently between jobs, so their budget is pretty tight.

Their Dell OptiPlex 320 computer is just shot. Will not even post to the BIOS. I am going to try and recover the hard drive for them, but they are now in need of a new computer.

So I have two choices. I can help this person pick out a DELL, HP, Asus, Sony, whatever the case may be, from Best Buy and be done with it all.

or

I can help this person build a computer, and hopefully get more bang for his buck.

That is the first thing I cannot help but wonder though, is it really all that big of a cost savings these days?

The main reason I am hesitant in helping this person build their computer is they are not very tech savvy whatsoever. I will be his tech support for this computer. And he will probably utilize me often.

Thing is though, he is in a bind, so if I can help him out, I am definitely willing to.

So if you think I should build the computer for him, can you please recommend what you would build based on the following specs/conditions.

Usage

• Managing music for Zune
  • Managing photo library
  • Surfing the web, email, etc.
  • Media Server (I am going to set this up on his PS3 for him)
  • Possibly light video gaming

Specs For Computer

• I am pretty much set on getting an i5 for this comp.
  • Because they are what I have used in the past, would prefer either Asus or EVGA for the motherboard. But open to other brands.
  • Figure 6 GB ram, possibly more if it does not add that much more to the overall cost
  • Probably a low to mid end GPU
  • Storage is more important then speed, so SSD is probably not needed
  • Windows 7 License
  • Decent sound (can be onboard)
  • Optical DVDRW drive (my friend is old school, so is going to want to import CD's, burn DVD's, etc.)
  • Need everything, so that means case, PSU, HDD,

Budget (Including Windows License, Case, Etc.)

• Between $500 - $800 USD

So there you have it fellow members.

Should I help him BUILD, or should I help hum BUY?

if you think I should help him BUILD, what do you suggest for the components given the specifications of his needs and budget?

Truly thanks to anyone who helps out in advanced. It is beyond appreciated.

I tried:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-660 3.33Ghz Dual-Core Processor ($183.99 @ eCost)

Motherboard: Asus P7P55 LX ATX LGA1156 Motherboard ($98.79 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)

Hard Drive: Western Digital RE4 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($225.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6450 512MB Video Card ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)

Case: Diablotek CPA-0390 ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Microcenter)

Power Supply: Antec 650W ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)

Monitor: AOC 2036S 20.0" Monitor ($104.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($130.21 @ Amazon)

Total: $958.89

(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)