Question

Posted

[url="http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/20/rumour-nokia-could-get-one-month-september-exclusive-on-windows-phone-8-debuting-for-everyone-else-in-november/"]MobileSyrup[/url] notes that there seems to be a bit of discrepancy between when Stephen Elop said Windows Phone 8 would arrive (September) and rumors from Mary Jo Foley (October), suggesting to them that Nokia may be given a month jump on other OEMs.

Stephen Elop has not outright said that they would be the first OEM to release Windows Phone handsets, but during their earnings call said:

"
[b]Mark Sue

11 answers to this question

Posted

I think Nokia phones will turn out to be equivalent of Surface on the phone side of the equation. These phones, at least for the time being, will be prime example of what WP can be.
If true, September is a good news for me. I am very eager to replace my 2 year old Focus (mainly for FFC+Skype).

Posted

This could be true if we note that Nokia is talking about September 7th for their retail shop HQ reveal. Though I think any Nokia WP8 devices will first show up in the EU and then in the US.

Posted

As long as they hit all the major carriers in the US during the exclusive this will be good.

Posted

I'm pretty sure that even if Nokia didn't get a 1 month exclusive they'd have the only Windows Phone 8 devices on sale for the first month anyway.

Posted

I'm with Sooner Freak. The only way this would work if they were to open it to all carriers not just an ATT Exclusive. This is make or break for windowsphone. a mass release on all carriers is the only way to go.

Posted

[quote name='Josh_LosAltosHills' timestamp='1342904993' post='595021965']
I'm with Sooner Freak. The only way this would work if they were to open it to all carriers not just an ATT Exclusive. This is make or break for windowsphone. a mass release on all carriers is the only way to go.
[/quote]

Unless the carriers like verizon are just blowing hot air when they talk about WP then they should get new phones as well. I think AT&T got the 900 exclusive because they agreed to put marketing money behind the phones, something the other carriers probably didn't want to do at this point.

Posted

The question is if they come to T-mobile.

Posted

Shut up and take my money!

Posted

[quote name='GP007' timestamp='1342908609' post='595022047']
Unless the carriers like verizon are just blowing hot air when they talk about WP then they should get new phones as well. I think AT&T got the 900 exclusive because they agreed to put marketing money behind the phones, something the other carriers probably didn't want to do at this point.
[/quote]

well I think all carriers will be onboard with windows 8 in the beginning. if the numbers arent there and quickly they will shut down.

Posted

[quote name='Josh_LosAltosHills' timestamp='1342911891' post='595022129']
well I think all carriers will be onboard with windows 8 in the beginning. if the numbers arent there and quickly they will shut down.
[/quote]

They'd better do their part at least. AT&T is marketing and pushing the 900, it's got good displays in the retail shops and so on, if Verizon gets a new WP8 device or two and tosses them in the back corner of the shops to be forgotten then who's to blame really?

Posted

This news, if true, would send Nokia's stocks upwards quite a bit.