Any alternatives to the BT homehub ?

So I'm switching to BT and now have the BT homehub... Connected to the wireless via an ipod and can see it's basically a pile of utter crap compared to the last BT device I used (a 2wire bt business modem). This homehub doesn't allow selecting of a mode or anything, such as to router bridge mode etc.

So I was wondering does anyone know of a way to enable much more options for it, or heck, something I can replace this rubbish with? I don't want wireless, all I want is a single IP via ethernet to go into a server where it can be firewalled and NAT'd to my liking - not BTs.

Any ideas?

So if you can not put it into bridge mode.. And you don't like its controls, etc. And you can not change it out for your own device? Change ISP ;)

In this case, you would have to use a double nat. Not the best option, but if your locked into the hardware. And you can not put it into bridge mode?? This is all you can do.

Put IP of your 2nd router into the DMZ of the homehub -- it has a dmz mode, and turn off its wireless? And then you can do your port forwards and wireless and such on this 2nd router. Or add AP behind your send router for wireless, etc.

I'm not sure if I'm locked to the hardware, never really used ADSL modems before BUT on the ones I've seen years ago, they only had an ADSL port, this has an ADSL port AND a ethernet port that goes to another device that they come and fit.

It doesn't have DMZ, it's got a 'game forwarding' thing and honestly, looks like it was made in 1999. Disable wireless? As soon as it's installed, I'm breaking the case and desoldering the wireless out of it and binning it.

I don't know if a different device can be used instead of not though?

Are you on infinity? If so, what device do I need to get to have as a switch or router with full forwarding and no wifi?

Are you on infinity? If so, what device do I need to get to have as a switch or router with full forwarding and no wifi?

Yep Infinity, you only need to keep the white Openreach modem then you can use any router with a WAN port to connect it to

Connection type: PPPoE

username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

password: your password

Job done

• 2 weeks later...

Yep Infinity, you only need to keep the white Openreach modem then you can use any router with a WAN port to connect it to

Connection type: PPPoE

username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

password: your password

Job done

Cool - very useful info. Any idea where I find my password? My HH3 is driving me nuts and am considering going the Tomato route!

Cool - very useful info. Any idea where I find my password? My HH3 is driving me nuts and am considering going the Tomato route!

Its the one you log into MyBT with on BT's website, where you can check out your account and billing etc

Its the one you log into MyBT with on BT's website, where you can check out your account and billing etc

Really? How comes I can change my MyBT password online and don't have to change the HH3?

Really? How comes I can change my MyBT password online and don't have to change the HH3?

HH3 doesn't need a password, 3rd party routers do, you have to set them to PPPoE

can you put it modem only mode? I know here in the US they normally just give you a modem and you gotta supply the router. Or you can add "home networking" for 5 bucks extra/mo and they supply a router.

HH3 doesn't need a password, 3rd party routers do, you have to set them to PPPoE

Ok. Did more research. You can use a blank password, but some routers don't like that so a space will be fine. However, some routers won't accept that either so most sites recommend putting BT in.

You don't need your MyBT password (or any password) at all because the connection authenticates you via the CLID.

Ok. Did more research. You can use a blank password, but some routers don't like that so a space will be fine. However, some routers won't accept that either so most sites recommend putting BT in.

You don't need your MyBT password (or any password) at all because the connection authenticates you via the CLID.

Hmm strange, I couldn't connect originally using the password originally set up with MyBT so I changed my password on their site and used that, and it conected.

Good to know anyway

can you put it modem only mode? I know here in the US they normally just give you a modem and you gotta supply the router. Or you can add "home networking" for 5 bucks extra/mo and they supply a router.

We get a modem and a router, the modem has an ADSL type connection to the phone line, I believe you can completely cut out the router and use just the openreach modem with a couple of tweaks after unlocking the firmware (Which btw gives a nice 1meg boost on the upload speed once you disable QoS)