Apple rolling out updated iWork with iCloud and Retina support

I have no idea what you're talking about here. Except for compatibility updates for new OS X versions, iCloud and hardware iWork '09 hasn't seen any actual new added features. iWork '09 in essence has remained unchanged since its release in January 2009.

Nope, iCloud compatibility is not a big deal, not at all :rolleyes:

Edit: "Please stay on topic, and be nice!" Sorry, my bad, just forgot why he was in my IG list. Sorry again.

PS PyX, I can make the Word 2011 interface appear messy too...

Except you don?t need any of that but the main window. The Ribbon interface alone does 99% of the work.

Guys, is a new license required for the latest iWorks? Or is it just a minor update?

Edit -- just realised it's available through Software Update sorry!

Except you don?t need any of that but the main window. The Ribbon interface alone does 99% of the work.

Guess what? Same story with Pages' Inspector and Formatting Bar.

Nope, iCloud compatibility is not a big deal, not at all :rolleyes:

When it comes to actual word processing and creation of spreadsheets and keynotes no.

Guess what? Same story with Pages' Inspector and Formatting Bar.

Let?s look at this closer together.

With Word, you need :

- the main window with the Ribbon interface

With Pages, you need :

- the main window with the toolbar and sub-toolbar (what you call the formatting bar)

- the styles drawer

- the inspector

- the color picker

- the menus and submenus

The cherry on top, none of these windows in Pages are dockable one next to each other, and none of these windows share a common length.

Obviously Apple isn't going to use Microsoft's format as their standard and become dependent on them. In the end you wouldn't gain much with it either. Advanced formatting would still be all over the place when going from Pages to Word.

It?s not about being dependent, if I?m not mistaken these formats (docx, xlsx, pptx, ?) are XML and are completely open. It?s about making it easy for medium and big companies to do the transition.

Let?s face it : medium and big companies will never do the switch. Never ever ever ever. Not as it is. Mark these words.

The transition would be so painful and deadly, it would make companies step back from their current place on the market. Some of them have 10 000 documents written in different formats (Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Project, Solidworks, CATIA, ?), some of them have millions of documents. I can tell you I?ve worked in 5 companies over the last 4 months (I?m in a consulting firm in engineering, so I visit a bunch of places), 2 of them were small companies, 2 of them were medium, and 1 of them was large. None of them, in their sane mind, have projected to switch to Macs in their pipelines, and I hope they never do so. Converting all those files will be impossible.

What Apple needs to do is hire different teams and impart them at 3DS to build us a version of CATIA and a free viewer, then a version of SolidWorks and a free viewer. Then impart another team at Microsoft to build Project and Access. Then build a fine version of iWork themselves with the main focus on making the transition from PC to Mac easy, and they need to unclutter their interfaces. They have so much money, I can?t believe they haven?t done that yet already.

If they do all these actions, medium and big companies will start buying Macs and Windows? market share will fall drastically over the years.

PyX, you can select colors from the main window, just like Word 2011. For custom ones you need the color picker, just like Word 2011. You practically never need the Menu Bar, just like Word 2011. The Styles drawer is attached to the main window, Word 2011 you have a separate window.

Makes it better by adding things, not re-designing the whole OS and messing things that are already working up. Microsoft likes to change things around too much and screw everything that is working fine by adding and changing things (Windows Vista).

Vista was a very necessary change for Windows, bringing a new kernel, new user model and new security features.

Maybe they'll get rid of it once it no longer works, because right now it still does.

I hope so - it makes my OCD go crazy seeing something that shouldn't be there. Lets hope that it does happen - it's the little things I find that irritate me the most.

Ha! I noticed the same thing today when launching Keynote.

Yeah, it's also present in Pages and Numbers too.

Probably just stupid. Maybe they're releasing a new version with new features soon, and this was just a stopgap.

I really hope so because I use Microsoft Office 2011 right now not because of some love or devotion to Microsoft but because it sucks the least out of all the options out there. The worse part of Pages/Numbers/Keynote is that they have so much potential that is squandered by Apple not getting their act together. ODT/ODS/ODP format support would be great considering that at work we use OpenOffice.org in the individual stores to keep cost down but Microsoft Office at head office.

Numbers is the only iWork app that is seriously crippled. I just found out I can't even have vertically aligned text running down a cell... Seriously?

I have no real issues with Pages or Keynote. For everything I need them to do, the feature set is there. But Numbers is just embarrassing.

Numbers is the only iWork app that is seriously crippled. I just found out I can't even have vertically aligned text running down a cell... Seriously?

I have no real issues with Pages or Keynote. For everything I need them to do, the feature set is there. But Numbers is just embarrassing.

post-43201-0-33436700-1343616267.png

That's for horizontally aligned text, though...

Numbers has the potential to be great, but it just lacks a lot of features. I really hope Apple is working on a major iWork update.

That's for horizontally aligned text, though...

Numbers has the potential to be great, but it just lacks a lot of features. I really hope Apple is working on a major iWork update.

Horizontal alignment is on the left, next to my red rectangle. In my rectangle, you can vertically align text. Or do I misunderstand you ?

Numbers lacks a couple of key features, yes, and it also lacks performance. I swear if it?s not 10x slower, it?s 20x slower than Excel.