I'm changing my insurance over to my new car, so my old car won't be insured from 5pm tomorrow.
The Directgov website (http://www.direct.go...hicle/dg_069727) says:
"You must make a SORN if one of the following applies:
- if you don’t renew your vehicle tax and you are keeping the vehicle off the road
- if you are applying for a refund of vehicle tax and keeping the vehicle off the road
- if you buy an untaxed vehicle and do not tax it
- if the vehicle has no valid insurance in place
- if you are cancelling the insurance and keeping the vehicle off the road
- every 12 months if you continue to keep your vehicle off the road
- in advance if your vehicle is to be kept off the road in the UK when you are abroad"
Clearly the no valid insurance one will apply to my car. But then later it states:
"You can make a SORN from the fifth day of the month in which the current tax disc or SORN is due to expire. SORN cannot be backdated."
My tax disc doesn't expire until November, so does that mean that I can't declare my car off the road until November? Does that mean it's legal to keep my car on a public road with no insurance and without declaring it until 5th November? I'll be scrapping it in a day or two anyway, just don't want to risk being caught and getting points - I'm allowed only six as I've been driving less than two years.