Why must error messages be so complicated?

Question

Today I was running Malwarebytes on my moms computer. I was going to do a quickscan to see how fast the scan would go on the new ssd I just installed on the laptop. When I opened Malwarebytes up it wanted to do an update. But I forgot I wasn't connected to my wifi yet, so of course Malwarebytes gave me an error.

While i'm looking at the error, I'm thinking 'Why can't they make that error message more user friendly. You can still have all that gibberish via a "Show more details button, but first and foremost give the user a much cleaner error message. So to give you an example I have a before and after of what the error message said before, and a mockup of what I think a better one would look like. (of course they would make the box look a lot nicer than my ugly box)

Before

captureajc.jpg

Modified

scaled.php?server=268&filename=malwarebytesi.jpg&res=landing

While Malwarebytes was preforming the quickscan I noticed windows 7 had 1 update to install. So I clicked the install button, but of course it must have already been installing the update in the background so I got this message.

scaled.php?server=43&filename=errorscopy.jpg&res=landing

First off, do we really need a BIG red X in the top left? That just freaks people out and in this case it wasn't big of deal, another update was just installing. But then we see the words "FAILED!" another thing that freaks people out. Of course it failed, but they really have to see the word. Looking down towards the bottom we see the words "errors" and a nice log error code. Once again, yes you can still have all that information available via a "More details" Button but why not simplify the entire thing. Here is one I put together.

scaled.php?server=703&filename=errorupdting.jpg&res=landing

Straight and to the point, the option of seeing more details if you need them, and far less scary for the average user.

Just my 2 cents.

14 answers to this question

Yeah when updating some things I always end up getting "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THERE WAS AN APPLICATION MODIFICATION ARE YOU AWARE OF THIS AND WOULD YOU LIKE TO CONTINUE??????!?!?!" and even after watching the installer complete it still freaks me out.

I dunno, I like how 7 presents errors as you've shown above. Easy to spot that something didn't work right (no accidentally missing it and think it finished successfully), has a clear textual message, gives an option to re-try it, and where to look for more help. The MalwareBytes one needs work yea.

Could be worse though..

HFM-An-unknown-error-has-occured.png

I think applications should take not from IMGburn. They have some of the best error messages i've ever seen!

Read the book 'The Inmates are Running the Asylum' by Alan Cooper to understand why software publishers seem to think this is acceptable.

Read the book 'The Inmates are Running the Asylum' by Alan Cooper to understand why software publishers seem to think this is acceptable.

Thanks for the recommendation. I recommend everyone read the first part of Chapter 1 i the sample amazon gives. it pretty much sums it up

http://www.amazon.co...ader_B000OZ0N62

Why can't they be more complicated/have more detail.

I am sorry but something's need to have a bit more info other than "I am sorry, try again later".

Why can't they be more complicated/have more detail.

I am sorry but something's need to have a bit more info other than "I am sorry, try again later".

Then drop down details.

If all that is happening that is preventing the update from installing, is that another update is currently being installed, then why in gods name does the user have to see red X's, the word ERROR and FAIL! Plain English works just as well. There are other instances where more info would be nice and maybe telling you what other updates is installing could work, but for this it could be really simplified.

If a user see's the word FAIL and ERROR and a red X regardless of the explanation below, they being frightened for no good reason. Something else is just currently installing, that's all!

"If a user see's the word FAIL and ERROR and a red X regardless of the explanation below, they being frightened for no good reason. Something else is just currently installing, that's all!"

You forget that code would have to be written to classify each and every possible error code, to choose which error flags should be given. What should it say, it was a failure, so that is correct. it was an Error, so that is correct. Should be be a warning triangle vs a red X? Ok should be be warning vs fail? Ok, there was an error then it tried to do what it was told.

How many possible codes, how many possible scenarios? Do you spend the time coding all the possible outcomes and then setup rules to what sort of warning to the user should be given. Or do you just report what happened? The operation Failed, because there was an ERROR -- to grab your attention to that information - here is a BIG red X for you to know there was a failure and an error.

Do with it what you will, it is just doing what its told!

I don't have a problem with either of your examples. The malwarebytes clearly told you what was wrong - error was updating, host not found. Your jumping to conclusions that it has anything to do with the internet connection. Quite possible the host name did not resolve, or that the host is actually down, or maybe there is a routing problem on the internet currently for you to be able to get to that host or you dns? Maybe there is dns issue that points it to wrong IP, that clearly has nothing to do with your internet connection.

Telling the user to check his internet connection is not factual.. What is factual is the host could not be found. How is the program suppose determine the reason why that was the case?

As to the windows update error, what is wrong with the X label -- this grabs your attention to the issue. Read the details and there you go, you know what is going on. What your asking for is a whole lot of coding, what wording does it use for the other 1000 possible reasons there was an error? Who is going to code in all those possible combo's and matrix for what to display when, etc. Users complain that new versions don't come out fast enough - what your asking for is going to add lots more man hours to release of application X or OS Y, etc.

"If a user see's the word FAIL and ERROR and a red X regardless of the explanation below, they being frightened for no good reason. Something else is just currently installing, that's all!"

You forget that code would have to be written to classify each and every possible error code, to choose which error flags should be given. What should it say, it was a failure, so that is correct. it was an Error, so that is correct. Should be be a warning triangle vs a red X? Ok should be be warning vs fail? Ok, there was an error then it tried to do what it was told.

How many possible codes, how many possible scenarios? Do you spend the time coding all the possible outcomes and then setup rules to what sort of warning to the user should be given. Or do you just report what happened? The operation Failed, because there was an ERROR -- to grab your attention to that information - here is a BIG red X for you to know there was a failure and an error.

Do with it what you will, it is just doing what its told!

I don't have a problem with either of your examples. The malwarebytes clearly told you what was wrong - error was updating, host not found. Your jumping to conclusions that it has anything to do with the internet connection. Quite possible the host name did not resolve, or that the host is actually down, or maybe there is a routing problem on the internet currently for you to be able to get to that host or you dns? Maybe there is dns issue that points it to wrong IP, that clearly has nothing to do with your internet connection.

Telling the user to check his internet connection is not factual.. What is factual is the host could not be found. How is the program suppose determine the reason why that was the case?

As to the windows update error, what is wrong with the X label -- this grabs your attention to the issue. Read the details and there you go, you know what is going on. What your asking for is a whole lot of coding, what wording does it use for the other 1000 possible reasons there was an error? Who is going to code in all those possible combo's and matrix for what to display when, etc. Users complain that new versions don't come out fast enough - what your asking for is going to add lots more man hours to release of application X or OS Y, etc.

I sent the 1st malwarebytes error message to an Average user. Then I removed the words "Check your internet connection and try again" and sent her the second error message (the one I created)

capturevi.jpg

So you sent it to idiot?

That is what that conversation tells me. Maybe not a true idiot, but someone that reads at the level of like a 4th grader.. Says right there program_error_updating host not found.

Where in that error does it say anything about a virus????

See the part that "says report this to your support team" That is what the error should say, this way they have someone that reads at we hope a at least a 8th grade level.

What it should do is not present anything to the user other then Call Someone that works with computers ;) Kind of like the idiot light on your car, you know the flashing symbol of an engine with words check engine. This is what computer errors should be, just flashing lights to get the attention of the user, FILLS the SCREEN!! With BIG RED FLASHING LIGHTS, maybe we can get some HORNS to go off as well. Because they sure and the F don't look in the tray about the little blinking virus shield blinking at them, or the blinking tray item that windows updates are ready, etc..

You just do not get my point do you?? Someone has to program the common language wording, someone has to determine and then how to write when that common wording is presented. Do you want your software to cost 3x what it does now, are you willing to pay that? Then maybe you can get it worded like that.

Even if you word it like that, So what is your "user" going to do with that error? Ask your idiot friend that... Because NO again that is NOT what your error says now is it.. Not contacting the update server does not mean there is no internet connection, does not mean that at all!

So you sent it to idiot?

That is what that conversation tells me. Maybe not a true idiot, but someone that reads at the level of like a 4th grader.. Says right there program_error_updating host not found.

Where in that error does it say anything about a virus????

See the part that "says report this to your support team" That is what the error should say, this way they have someone that reads at we hope a at least a 8th grade level.

What it should do is not present anything to the user other then Call Someone that works with computers ;) Kind of like the idiot light on your car, you know the flashing symbol of an engine with words check engine. This is what computer errors should be, just flashing lights to get the attention of the user, FILLS the SCREEN!! With BIG RED FLASHING LIGHTS, maybe we can get some HORNS to go off as well. Because they sure and the F don't look in the tray about the little blinking virus shield blinking at them, or the blinking tray item that windows updates are ready, etc..

You just do not get my point do you?? Someone has to program the common language wording, someone has to determine and then how to write when that common wording is presented. Do you want your software to cost 3x what it does now, are you willing to pay that? Then maybe you can get it worded like that.

Even if you word it like that, So what is your "user" going to do with that error? Ask your idiot friend that... Because NO again that is NOT what your error says now is it.. Not contacting the update server does not mean there is no internet connection, does not mean that at all!

2 things

1) I understand that it would be hard to code common english for all error messages. Though it wouldn't hurt to simply the most common one. Sure malware could block the program from downloading the updates, but from all the machines I've repaired using malwarebytes, the only time I really see that message is when the Ethernet wiggled loose (clips aways break off on me). Plus while malware very well could be blocking the communication to the update server, checking your internet connection is always a good first step.

2) I really don't think you understand the average user. it may be that you spend most of our time around smart, expert computer users. If I wasn't doing computer repair for the average user I would be the same way. But I do deal with the average computer user and let me tell you, most would not know what "Program_ERROR_UPDATING 0,0, Host not found)" means. To you and me and a good portion of the Neowin community it's as close to common sense as it gets. But for the normal person it's not, far from it.

Just tonight I got a call from a user who couldn't check their email. She was using mozilla thunderbird and she couldn't receive email. She said 'it told her the password was bad". Upon logging into her computer i clicked on the check mail button. what I got was a password error.... BUT the error message continued. it said

YOU MUST log into this website ______________(Her ISP's web based email website ... it had the URL in the dialog box)________________________ and accept the new terms of service. Yep... it couldn't have been any clearer. But all she saw was "Password error".

So I found 6 more people to quiz on what that error message meant. You will be happy to know the 1st 2 people, 1 of which I know to be really good on the computer (so not the best person to ask). Got it right the 1st time. The 3rd 4th 5th and 6th person said.

scaled.php?server=839&filename=captureos.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=40&filename=capturesbk.jpg&res=landing

capturec.JPG

The 5th person finally saw the word host in the 1st error box.

scaled.php?server=545&filename=captureqyrr.jpg&res=landing

I should totally quiz my dad, he would be the perfect test subject. My mom on the other hand would NOT be the perfect test subject.