Confused about my internet speeds

I've had a FiOS Double Play package since 02/09 with the 25/15 tier of internet service.

When Verizon announced FiOS Quantum and that the 25/15 tier would be bumped to 50/25, I assumed we would be getting upgraded. About a month later, we received a letter from Verizon indicating that our rate was going up $10/month, but the letter was vague as to the reasoning (standard stuff about bringing customers faster broadband, more HD channels, etc etc). I had thought at the time that this $10/month increase was specifically for the bump from 25/15 to 50/25.

Anyway, our latest bill shows that we are still on the 25/15 tier, so now my assumption is that you have to specifically request an upgrade to the new 50/25 tier.

However, I just ran some speed tests and got the following results (our router is an older FiOS router with only 10/100 ethernet and 802.11g):

Laptop on wifi - 22/18

iPhone 4 on wifi - 18/16

PC on ethernet - 32/24

The 22 Mbps down on the laptop would seem to be a limitation of the router, as IIRC 802.11g tops out around there. However, the 32/24 on ethernet indicates that we're getting a good bit more than 25/15.

Is 32/24 an average real-world result for 50/25? Does Verizon tend to give out more speed then they sell with FiOS? Could I "accidentally" be getting 50/25 even though I'm paying for 25/15?

Which package do you think I have (regardless of what my bill says)?

I ask because I'm now wondering if actually calling Verizon and upgrading to Quantum 50/25 will actually result in anything other than a higher bill.

nm I see you are plugged directly into the actiontec router. Being that you are renting your unit see if you can get Verizon to swap out your router with something more current being that you aren't getting the correct speeds.

Yes, I was plugged directly into the MI424WR Actiontec for the ethernet test. I've read about the possibility of getting upgraded to the GigE router with 802.11n, but those who have tried have failed, the consensus being that Verizon has no obligation (or desire) to provide a customer with equipment beyond what is necessary to provide the service they are subscribed for.

Ergo, if I am only paying for 25/15, Verizon won't upgrade me to the GigE router, regardless of what actual speeds I'm getting.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking but a deviation of more than 3-5Mb/s is high anything more than that really deserves a call to your ISP.

Here is how a phone call to verizon should go from you:

1. Hello Verizon, can you verify what my current speed is supposed to be on my plan

(if they answer what you are currently getting go to the next question, if answer different go to question 4)

2. I heard that verizon is supposed to do away with this plan and upgrade everyone to 50Mb/s, is that true, if so do I qualify for that, if I do can you make that happen for me?

3. Check your connection speed and verify what they advertise is what you are getting or better.

4. If you are not getting the speed you are paying for, get verizon to troubleshoot. they may replace your modem or have a tech come out.

Your speeds wont change till you call and change to that. It's not an automatic speed change because you might be under contract or just locked into a set speed for X time.

That was one of the things people thought when the announced the speed changes. They dropped one package for another but you don't automatically get bumped up to the faster speeds.

I apologize if my initial post was not clear enough.

1) I am currently paying for 25 Mbps down, 15 Mbps up

2) I am currently getting 32 Mbps down, 24 Mbps up

QUESTION: Is 32/24 possible with a 25/15 connection, or is Verizon inadvertently providing me with a 50/25 connection?

I'm not calling Verizon yet because if this IS a mistake, and I'm getting a faster package than I'm paying for, I don't want Verizon to realize their mistake and "correct" it, thus lowering my speeds, unless of course I upgrade and am forced to pay more to get back what I already had.

If, however, 32/24 is possible with a 25/15 connection (even though it IS quite a bit faster), then calling Verizon to upgrade would result in speeds even above 32/24.

Just to share, I used to get way, way faster speeds on my FIOS connection (I have had them for almost 5 years now) then I was supposed to get, then once they expanded, etc., I now only get the speeds I pay for, which are never indeed as fast as they should supposed to be. So I would say you probably have been upgraded to the 50/25, and you are getting the 32/24 (could be a few factors as to why you are not getting the full 50/25) so if they are still charging you for the old one, keep quite about it.

And I have tried twice in the past 2 years to get a better WiFi router, and no go. Unless it stops working completely, they will not replace it with a newer, better one. If there is a way to sabotage a WiFi router, please share, I would love a new one.

What I am saying is do not advertise what speeds you are currently getting until you verify that it is a mistake on their end. Ask them what your current plan is, and ask them if you can upgrade to the plan you are entitled to if you are not currently on that plan....no where did I mention, until after you have verified what plan are you on, to advertise the speeds you are currently getting.

And I have tried twice in the past 2 years to get a better WiFi router, and no go. Unless it stops working completely, they will not replace it with a newer, better one. If there is a way to sabotage a WiFi router, please share, I would love a new one.

put it in the microwave for a few seconds.

I work at an ISP and what it sounds like to me is that your connection may be provisioned for the 50/25 rate. However the problem is probably more than likely with your modem or router. Most consumer routers produced with a 802.11g chipset (broadcom, atheros, ralink, etc...) are capable of a Wan <-> Lan throughput of about 30mbps. This is to keep costs in line as they are specced to be able to sustain wifi throughput levels.

Suggestion:

You may want to try plugging a gigabit 802.11n router into your modem and testing throughput.

Additional Info:

You are correct on the 802.11g limitation. a 54mps link provides about 22-25mps of throughput half-duplex.

Explanation:

Switching (passing traffic from Lan port to lan port) uses very little CPU power. Routing large amounts of traffic especialy when having to firewall and NAT the traffic incurs a very large computational and memory tracking overhead.

Newer gigabit routers or routers with an 802.11n chipset generally have a faster cpu which is capable of routing more traffic.

Reference:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/74-wan-to-lan

I work at an ISP and what it sounds like to me is that your connection may be provisioned for the 50/25 rate. However the problem is probably more than likely with your modem or router. Most consumer routers produced with a 802.11g chipset (broadcom, atheros, ralink, etc...) are capable of a Wan <-> Lan throughput of about 30mbps. This is to keep costs in line as they are specced to be able to sustain wifi throughput levels.

Suggestion:

You may want to try plugging a gigabit 802.11n router into your modem and testing throughput.

Additional Info:

You are correct on the 802.11g limitation. a 54mps link provides about 22-25mps of throughput half-duplex.

Explanation:

Switching (passing traffic from Lan port to lan port) uses very little CPU power. Routing large amounts of traffic especialy when having to firewall and NAT the traffic incurs a very large computational and memory tracking overhead.

Newer gigabit routers or routers with an 802.11n chipset generally have a faster cpu which is capable of routing more traffic.

Reference:

http://www.smallnetb...r/74-wan-to-lan

His issue is that he is plugging directly into the ISP modem/router....unless bandwidth can increase at that level, putting in another router may have negative effects at worst, same effects at best. it is like having water feed through a straw then attaching a 6 inch diameter hose between the straw and you and expecting a 6 inch hose worth of water to come streaming out when in reality you are only getting that feed that is coming through that straw and it is taking a very long time to reach you because there isn't enough pressure behind what is coming out of that straw to fill up that 6 inch hose.

From what I have read the only way to secure the rev I actiontec routers is by upgrading to the 150 Mbps tier, your other option is to keep an eye on ebay for former Fios customers selling them

the rev i actiontecs have N wireless as well as gigabit ethernet ports