Photo

Exchange and DDNS? Possible?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 metro2012

metro2012

Neowinian

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:56

im wondering if i can have exchange emails with ddns. such as have my own exchange server and my own ddns fqdn such as test.no-ip.org and then have

email1@test.no-ip.org
email2@test.no-ip.org

etc etc. tahnk u

#2 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:22

I'm sure all you get is a DNS address resolved to an IP with any Dynamic DNS service.

The only way I can think is to have an alias such as mx0.example.com which is a CNAME of test.no-ip.org. mx0.example.com will then need to be a record itself. I guess you could also just have test.no-ip.org as your only MX record.

My first thought though would be to test the possibility of receiving and sending on port 25. I would have thought most domestic ISP's will block this communication.

#3 OP metro2012

metro2012

Neowinian

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:25

I'm sure all you get is a DNS address resolved to an IP with any Dynamic DNS service.

The only way I can think is to have an alias such as mx0.example.com which is a CNAME of test.no-ip.org.

My first thought though would be to test the possibility of receiving on port 25 and sending. I would have thought most domestic ISP's will block this communication.

well i think there was also a way around this for using a ddns fqdn as a web server from your home rite? i imagine there is something also like this for stmp (port 25, like you comment)

#4 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:31

Can't think of a way as every other SMTP server in the world will be expecting to speak to your server on port 25. If your ISP block it then your pretty much stuffed. DynDNS offer some sort of mail feature though.

As I said test the connectivity first before implementing a solution that won't work. I host my three sites on my home network with the same Dynamic IP being used as an alias. It works fine. I know though that port 25 is blocked outbound as there is no mail functionality working. Kinda annoying as I run forums. Still, they are dead ones these days and are only really used for reference.

#5 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:32

The only way I can think is to have an alias such as mx0.example.com which is a CNAME of test.no-ip.org. mx0.example.com will then need to be a record itself. I guess you could also just have test.no-ip.org as your only MX record.

My first thought though would be to test the possibility of receiving and sending on port 25. I would have thought most domestic ISP's will block this communication.

Not all do. Time Warner for example leaves the port open but adds its residential IP blocks to one or more DNS Block lists, so that all mail that comes from them gets marked as spam by receivers who check against said lists.

I'd imagine using something like DDNS probably would cause a similar issue. Though idk.

#6 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:33

Not all do.

Which is why I said test.

#7 OP metro2012

metro2012

Neowinian

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:00

i mentioned that with noip i can host a web server on port 80 even if my isp blocks port 80. so i imagine there is something similar for port 25 rite?

#8 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:04

if they can do that then sure. A quick browse of no-ip shows also...

Alternate-port SMTP

Can't send out email? Alternate-Port SMTP is for administrators that have an ISP that blocks outbound port 25 or road warriors that don't want to change their smtp settings every place they go.

#9 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 28

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:25

possible yes, but you will be black listed before you even say go. DHCP'd isp addresses are already blacklisted in spam databases.

#10 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 79

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:33

possible yes, but you will be black listed before you even say go. DHCP'd isp addresses are already blacklisted in spam databases.

I wish I was blacklisted from spam bots :(

#11 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 28

Posted 31 July 2012 - 13:06

I know...it is a battle that IT has been fighting for a long time. And it is getting worse.

#12 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 13:24

If what you want to do is accept incoming mail, yeah not too many issues there - get a MX record pointed to where you want to accept mail. That is about it.

Where the problem comes in is sending, as mentioned already -- most of the major players will block you from sending them email from a dynamic IP. Even if not using a block list, do you have a valid PTR for this IP - not going to accept mail from you.

So if what you want to do is send mail to your friend billy on his HOME smtp server, then sure go for it. If what you want to do is send actual production email that your sure is going to get there. Not so much, not to any of the major player domains, or any companies doing any sort of decent filtering.

#13 umaki

umaki

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:32

I run my own exchange server. Receiving emails are OK but sending gives an error. Tested via Exchange Connectivity and its says that no PTR Record available for the IP. Any solution to this?

by the way, I use Zerigo as my Dynamic DNS.

#14 betax

betax

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:43

You can use a smart host for outbound smtp "http://dyn.com/email...standard-smtp/"

#15 umaki

umaki

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:07

You can use a smart host for outbound smtp "http://dyn.com/email...standard-smtp/"

I saw it already. Probably, my last option would be that. Isn't there any free option available?