LastPass vs KeePass vs 1Password

LastPass vs KeePass vs 1Password   66 votes

1. 1. Which one do YOU use?

• LastPass Free
    • LastPass Premium
    • KeePass
    • 1Password
    • Other (list in your post)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 posts in this topic

Posted

In short, I typically use my main Desktop, do not have a laptop and little reason to log onto my account on other systems (though the occasion may arise when I need to get to my email from other computers). I do have an android phone that also accesses my email (though I'm not opposed to manually typing the password once into my phone).

Vote for what YOU use in the poll, if you want list reasons along with what you use in your post, or suggest which one I should use in your post (or both).

I would prefer one of the free options, but I have no problem with buying one of them for features if I need it (though I don't like the idea of subscription like lastpass premium).

I think I'm leaning towards lastpass, simply because it is cloud-based, and while I like the idea of keeping the passwords on my system instead of in the cloud....I definitely like the benefit that if something is stolen I can change the master password and they can't use the other passwords.

Posted

Other

My head [x]

Posted

Well I started using LastPass last night and I've changed most important passwords (paypal, banking, forums I use often, some game-related websites, etc), but I have not yet changed my email password because I do not want to pay the subscription just to get the android app.....though my email pass is pretty secure, it's similar to a pass I use often, but it is unique on it's own so unless google gets hacked and the passwords get decrypted, the password will not be known to anyone but me.

One thing that worries me is game logins, I have more I would like to secure but it is also tied directly to the login info for the game itself, and I don't want to have to copy it every time I want to log in.....I'd much prefer two-factor authentication so I can keep my password a bit less secure since anyone who did get the pass would still need the other half to get into the account, unfortunately only 1 game I have installed uses this.

I do have the passwords all backed up in encrypted form in 3 places, with plaintext in two places inside an encrypted file container.

Posted

I think 1Password is the best but I don't think it is worth paying

Posted

I use RoboForm Pro.

Posted

I use KeePass at work, RoboForm at home and just started using LastPass (the paid one) to share with my wife. Honestly, LastPass is better for me as she can get passwords on the iPAD, Android, and PC. But all of them are good, with KeePass being the most cost effective as it's free.

Posted

Using Lastpass, it's great to have something in the cloud and not have to transfer newer passwords between devices all the time. Using it on PC, HTPC, Netbook, Android phone, and Android tablet. Not sure how I would have managed if I had stayed with firefox's password manager!

I used Keepass briefly but it's more effort to login, Lastpass can autofill username/passwords fields.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've been using Lastpass for about a year and it works great for the most part. I tried Roboform pro but I didn't like it and got a refund after only a few days.

Posted

I used Keepass briefly but it's more effort to login, Lastpass can autofill username/passwords fields.

According to the ChromeIPass (KeePass extension for Chrome):

* Automated password form fill

Maybe it's just the browser/extension you are using, but for Chrome (and I assume most other browsers currently) at least, it should have the same functionality (in terms of autofilling usernames/passwords).

Really considering KeePass now though, Looking at the respective apps (keepass vs lastpass), keepass has 3 times the votes on the android market, and a slightly higher rating. More people have given an unofficial keepass android app 5 stars, than the number of people who have rated lastpass overall. Plus it would let me change my email password to a random more secure one. Sure it would be more of a pain to keep them synced, but I use dropbox already for small things, should be hard to install the dropbox program that lets you sync a folder and sync my passwords that way.

Posted

I've been a Keepass user for years, using it on iPad, Android, Windows and Ubuntu.

Posted

Roboform FTW, though the new yearly sub is a bit lame :(

Posted

Roboform.

Posted

I use 1Password, sync it between my 2 PC's, my work PC, my iMac and iPhone/iPad. I don't really have a problem paying

Posted

I've been using Roboform for years. I've tried most of those others, but I've never found better for my taste than Roboform. Currently using the "Everywhere" version of it.

Posted

Lastpass free with 2 factor authentication.... might go to the premium one soon if their win8 integration is good.

Posted

Mostly my head, but 1Password sometimes.

Posted

KeePass + 7pass + LastPass + Xmarks

KeePass because **** trusting the cloud with my most sensitive stuff, and because it's awesome (for more info than just passwords), especially if you set it up to work across all machines on your local network.

7pass because I need my KeePass database on my phone.

LastPass for speed/ease of use with my most commonly used passwords (though I think KeePass has an auto fill feature, I've just never worked it out)

Xmarks just because.

Posted

Lastpass for websites and online services and KeePass 2 for things like server logins and other details.

Posted

Using LastPass free. Thinking of upgrading to Premium as I have an iPad now. :)

Posted

Trying out KeePass now, and I like having the app for my phone, plus the KeePass desktop program rocks, but the chrome extension is severely lacking compared to lastpass....it has auto-fill, but no auto submit (not really an issue, because it still fills in the info, it's just a bit slower than autosubmitting like lastpass has).....but it also can't manage keepass at all, and it requires keepass to remain open to use it which is pretty annoying. If keepass had lastpass's chrome extension (but managing the local database instead of connecting to the internet) it would be perfect.

I think I'm going to use KeePass on my phone for just my email and use LastPass on my desktop with the same password configured for my email. That way I get the best of both worlds with minimum upkeep (only have to update it if I change my email password).

EDIT: Okay, using KeePass on my phone with both my dropbox and google account passwords saved, and only a keyfile securing it (which is also located on my phone). If I ever lose my phone, all I need to do is change my email and dropbox passwords and I don't lose anything else. But I also don't have to type in a complex password on the phone keyboard (virtual only) and it's in my possession or sight 99% of the time. I have KeePass installed on my computer for management of the database if I need to (with the keyfile in an encrypted file container). Then I have LastPass containing those same passwords (dropbox and google account), along with many others that I use on my computer 99% of the time. I also plan to put a portable browser w/ lastpass on my USB drive for easy access if I ever need to use it on another computer.

Posted

I have been using StickyPassword for a year but evaluating Dashlane for a possible transfer as I am not sure I will upgrade SP once the subscription runs out and Dashlane is free at the moment.