Photo

LastPass vs KeePass vs 1Password

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: LastPass vs KeePass vs 1Password

Which one do YOU use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:33

In short, I typically use my main Desktop, do not have a laptop and little reason to log onto my account on other systems (though the occasion may arise when I need to get to my email from other computers). I do have an android phone that also accesses my email (though I'm not opposed to manually typing the password once into my phone).

Vote for what YOU use in the poll, if you want list reasons along with what you use in your post, or suggest which one I should use in your post (or both).

I would prefer one of the free options, but I have no problem with buying one of them for features if I need it (though I don't like the idea of subscription like lastpass premium).

I think I'm leaning towards lastpass, simply because it is cloud-based, and while I like the idea of keeping the passwords on my system instead of in the cloud....I definitely like the benefit that if something is stolen I can change the master password and they can't use the other passwords.

#2 Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2012 - 22:34

Other
My head [x]

#3 OP Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:47

Well I started using LastPass last night and I've changed most important passwords (paypal, banking, forums I use often, some game-related websites, etc), but I have not yet changed my email password because I do not want to pay the subscription just to get the android app.....though my email pass is pretty secure, it's similar to a pass I use often, but it is unique on it's own so unless google gets hacked and the passwords get decrypted, the password will not be known to anyone but me.

One thing that worries me is game logins, I have more I would like to secure but it is also tied directly to the login info for the game itself, and I don't want to have to copy it every time I want to log in.....I'd much prefer two-factor authentication so I can keep my password a bit less secure since anyone who did get the pass would still need the other half to get into the account, unfortunately only 1 game I have installed uses this.

I do have the passwords all backed up in encrypted form in 3 places, with plaintext in two places inside an encrypted file container.

#4 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:52

I think 1Password is the best but I don't think it is worth paying £35 per computer and with the only guarantee of software updates being minor releases.

So for me I have a Mac and a PC. I want the same passwords on both it would cost me about £60 using their Two-OS license. And then as soon as 1Password v4 is released I'd have to pay £60 again. That is just ridiculous for such a simple piece of software.

Compare that to Lastpass which is completely free and does basically the same thing and syncs my passwords between my PC and Mac. So although I prefer 1Passes UI I've decided to use Lastpass for the simple reason that 1Pass are a total rip off with their licenses. If it was £35 for a Windows + OS X license I'd get it. But not £60 and certainly not £60 every time I need to upgrade either.

#5 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:54

I use RoboForm Pro.

#6 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 August 2012 - 13:05

I use KeePass at work, RoboForm at home and just started using LastPass (the paid one) to share with my wife. Honestly, LastPass is better for me as she can get passwords on the iPAD, Android, and PC. But all of them are good, with KeePass being the most cost effective as it's free.

#7 Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu

moo

Posted 02 August 2012 - 13:10

Using Lastpass, it's great to have something in the cloud and not have to transfer newer passwords between devices all the time. Using it on PC, HTPC, Netbook, Android phone, and Android tablet. Not sure how I would have managed if I had stayed with firefox's password manager!

I used Keepass briefly but it's more effort to login, Lastpass can autofill username/passwords fields.

#8 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2012 - 13:11

I've been using Lastpass for about a year and it works great for the most part. I tried Roboform pro but I didn't like it and got a refund after only a few days.

#9 OP Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2012 - 13:32

I used Keepass briefly but it's more effort to login, Lastpass can autofill username/passwords fields.

According to the ChromeIPass (KeePass extension for Chrome):

* Automated password form fill

Maybe it's just the browser/extension you are using, but for Chrome (and I assume most other browsers currently) at least, it should have the same functionality (in terms of autofilling usernames/passwords).

Really considering KeePass now though, Looking at the respective apps (keepass vs lastpass), keepass has 3 times the votes on the android market, and a slightly higher rating. More people have given an unofficial keepass android app 5 stars, than the number of people who have rated lastpass overall. Plus it would let me change my email password to a random more secure one. Sure it would be more of a pain to keep them synced, but I use dropbox already for small things, should be hard to install the dropbox program that lets you sync a folder and sync my passwords that way.

#10 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

Posted 02 August 2012 - 13:46

I've been a Keepass user for years, using it on iPad, Android, Windows and Ubuntu.

#11 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:00

Roboform FTW, though the new yearly sub is a bit lame :(

#12 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:11

Roboform.

#13 AStaley

AStaley

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64, OSX Mavericks, Elementary OS, Server 2008 R2/2012 R2, CentOS.
  • Phone: iPhone 4 (IOS7.1.1)

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:53

I use 1Password, sync it between my 2 PC's, my work PC, my iMac and iPhone/iPad. I don't really have a problem paying £30+ for a good piece of software, and the Windows/OSX licence are per person and covers them for each machine they use, which seems a good deal to me.

#14 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 14:58

I've been using Roboform for years. I've tried most of those others, but I've never found better for my taste than Roboform. Currently using the "Everywhere" version of it.

#15 jagowar

jagowar

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Focus

Posted 02 August 2012 - 15:01

Lastpass free with 2 factor authentication.... might go to the premium one soon if their win8 integration is good.