#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:13

Nemo: The Linux Mint Team Forks Nautilus

Posted Image

After Cinnamon, Muffin and MDM, the Linux Mint team works on yet another fork: Nemo, a file manager forked from Nautilus 3.4.x.

Nautilus 3.5.x, which will become Nautilus 3.6 stable and will be a part of GNOME 3.6, has got a new toolbar and menubar, but there were also some features that were removed, like the dual pane feature, sidebar tree view and others. And this, it seems, wasn't what the Linux Mint developers want for their users, so they've decided to fork Nautilus 3.4.x, which still has these features.

Posted Image

For now, there are only a couple of visible changes between Nautilus 3.4.2 and Nemo:
  • the location entry is visible by default, but it doesn't replace the breadcrumbs - it's displayed under the breadcrumb, and the user can easily show/hide it from the View menu or by using the CTRL + L keyboard shortcut.
  • some minor changes have been made to the look and feel - for instance, the sidebar uses a white background
On the Nemo todo list are various fixes, make it easier for the user to define mime actions, improved look and feel and it's also possible for the view buttons to be re-added.

Since it seems the Mint team wants to make Nautilus more usable and prettier, I wonder why they haven't tried to port some, if not all the Nautilus elementary patches to Nautilus 3.4.x, since the goals are basically the same. But since the work on Nemo has started only two weeks ago, there's still a lot of work to be done so we'll see if the Nautilus elementary concepts will be integrated or if the Linux Mint team wants to go its own way.

The Nemo file manager source can be downloaded via GitHub.

Source: Web Upd8

#2 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:30

More forks. just what linux needs.

#3 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:47

I was actually expecting Ubuntu team to do it first. Good for them.

#4 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:57

I know right? Who wants more choices, ah that's right everyone that's not an iSheep

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 August 2012 - 18:13

I'm an iSheep. Get that troll out of your ass and grow up.

As for wanting choice. Sure, but with all these forks, Linux is going nowhere. People keep saying they want Linux to grow and have the year of Linux, well that not happening if there isn't soon a general agreement about on main definitive distro/branch that set as the standard Linux distro that all the other ones branch from, but at least keep complete compatibility with.

#6 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:17

huh? Don't think you know all too well what you're on about. As for the fork, good for the Mint guys. I'm guessing the fork under Mint team should be pretty well maintained and polished, can't wait to see what happens with it.

#7 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:38

As for wanting choice. Sure, but with all these forks, Linux is going nowhere. People keep saying they want Linux to grow and have the year of Linux, well that not happening if there isn't soon a general agreement about on main definitive distro/branch that set as the standard Linux distro that all the other ones branch from, but at least keep complete compatibility with.

Agreed all this debate has created too many alternatives for the Linux platform to actually grow into its potential. Let the OS mature first and then people can argue about choice.

#8 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 August 2012 - 20:48

I know right? Who wants more choices, ah that's right everyone that's not an iSheep

You are correct! Choice is good until you have to many of them.

#9 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

Posted 04 August 2012 - 21:04

You're telling one of your jokes again aren't you! Come now, this is not the time for jokes and to boot, it's also the wrong forum! :boo:

#10 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:13

I don't know why people are moaning at the mint team - moan at the GNOME team, they've (quite well I might add) managed to **** up on everything they've done.
GNOME 2 was outstanding, GNOME 3 was a huge downgrade, and slowly, they're dumbing down everything. When I read they're copying metro and having a tablet and desktop OS in one, I think that basically signalled the end of me ever using GNOME again in the future.

#11 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:26

Fork away. Play around, tinker with it. All in true hacker/freedom fighter spirit. (Y)

The paradox of choice doesn't apply to free software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6XEQIsCoM

Link:

#12 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 05 August 2012 - 17:36

Interesting video that.

#13 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 05 August 2012 - 21:55

Problem already solved. For maximum exposure, and application should enusre it works with Ubuntu using widely available dependencies.

#14 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 August 2012 - 22:09

What I don't get is why all those little teams of developers come together and create on kick ass *insert program here*

#15 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 August 2012 - 22:16

Having used both Gnome 3x and KDE 4.8.4 recently, KDE seems like the way forward as a desktop GUI. It's not perfect, but with some cooperation and a little more pollish, it could be all thats needed with the exception of some really light-weight GUI for low-power machines.