KDE 4.9 released

KDE Release 4.9 ? in memory of Claire Lotion

klogo-official-oxygen-128x128.pngKDE is delighted to announce its latest set of releases, providing major updates to KDE Plasma Workspaces, KDE Applications, and the KDE Platform. Version 4.9 provides many new features, along with improved stability and performance.

This release is dedicated to the memory of KDE contributor Claire Lotion. Claire's vibrant personality and enthusiasm were an inspiration to many in our community, and her pioneering work on the format, scope and frequency of our developer meetings changed the way we go about implementing our mission today. Through these and other activities she left a notable mark on the software we are able to release to you today, and we are grateful for and humbled by her efforts.

kde49-desktop-thumb.png

The KDE Quality Team was set up earlier this year with a goal to improve the general levels of quality and stability in KDE software. Special attention was given to identifying and fixing regressions from previous releases. This was a top priority because it ensures improvement with each release.

The Team also set up a more rigorous testing process for releases starting with beta versions. New testing volunteers received training; and several testing intensive days were held. Rather than traditional exploratory testing, testers were assigned to focus on specific areas that had changed since previous releases. For several critical components, full testing checklists were developed and used. The team found many important issues early and worked with developers to make sure they were fixed. The Team itself reported over 160 bugs with the beta and RC releases, many of which have now been fixed. Other beta and RC users added considerably to the number of bugs reported. These efforts are important because they allow developers to concentrate on fixing issues.

As a result of the efforts of the KDE Quality Team, the 4.9 Releases are the best ever.

One particular bugfix deserves special attention. An Okular bug reported in 2007 had gotten nearly 1100 votes; it was important to many users. They complained about making annotations and not being able to save or print them. With the assistance of many commenters and people on the Okular IRC channel, Fabio D?Urso implemented a solution that allows Okular PDF document annotations to be saved and printed. The fix required some work on KDE libraries and attention to overall design to ensure that non-PDF documents worked right. This was Fabio?s first KDE dev experience, which came about when he encountered the problem and decided to do something about it.

plasma.png Plasma Workspaces 4.9 ? Core Improvements

Highlights for Plasma Workspaces include substantial improvements to the Dolphin File Manager, Konsole X Terminal Emulator, Activities, and the KWin Window Manager. Read the complete 'Plasma Workspaces Announcement'.

applications.pngNew and Improved KDE Applications 4.9

New and improved KDE Applications released today include Okular, Kopete, KDE PIM, educational applications and games. Read the complete 'KDE Applications Announcement'

platform.png KDE Platform 4.9

Today?s KDE Platform release includes bugfixes, other quality improvements, networking, and preparation for Frameworks 5

Source: KDE.org

Would you like it to scream "DOS"?

I mean just look at that screen shot....ewwww

That bottom bar just looks so clunky!

I am in no way involved in the OSS community, so I can't say for sure, but from what I gather when speaking to OSS developers is that there are generally a lot of people with great ideas and programming backgrounds but very few designers, especially UX designers, involved at any stage. It seems that designers aren't particularly interested in Linux and OSS.

I do, however, agree that it looks terrible. We need a free software design crusader!

I am in no way involved in the OSS community, so I can't say for sure, but from what I gather when speaking to OSS developers is that there are generally a lot of people with great ideas and programming backgrounds but very few designers, especially UX designers, involved at any stage. It seems that designers aren't particularly interested in Linux and OSS.

I do, however, agree that it looks terrible. We need a free software design crusader!

Having used a hackintosh for about a month, I noticed that OSX is the prime example of the perfect Mix of developers and Designers. It just shows that a Beautiful UI can be designed. it doesn't have to look clunky.

The problem with KDE and Gnome is that the UI always screams LINUX!

That's probably a good thing since they are Linux? But a command line screams Linux more to me. KDE screams "Designed by a child" to me. Gnome... eh, 3 needs work still, but it looks decent.

At this point the only next-gen operating system that truly looks like a lot of attention, thought and effort has been put into the interface is OS X Mountain Lion. Regardless whether you actually like Aqua or not, it's impossible to deny a lot of time has been spent on developing it. In comparison both Linux and Windows 8 make my skin crawl. I honestly don't know if it has to do with amateurism, indifference or something else. It remains mind-boggling all the same.

At this point the only next-gen operating system that truly looks like a lot of attention, thought and effort has been put into the interface is OS X Mountain Lion. Both Linux and Windows 8 make my skin crawl. On both the level of amateurism and indifference is just mind-boggling.

Yep I don't know how Apple pulls it off. But their desktop just looks so nice. I mean, in Windows 7 I could move my bar to the top of the screen and it just feels clunky. What is it about OSX which does the exact same thing but gives you this feeling of wow.

Yep I don't know how Apple pulls it off. But their desktop just looks so nice. I mean, in Windows 7 I could move my bar to the top of the screen and it just feels clunky. What is it about OSX which does the exact same thing but gives you this feeling of wow.

I've read once that Apple is the only one to have true dedicated interface designers on their OS X team.

I've read once that Apple is the only one to have to true dedicated interface designers on their OS X team.

Which just seems like common sense.

I actually have a nice tower at home that I built originally as a HTPC before I went with smaller enclosures. Maybe I should make it a Linux box. I haven't seen Linux, Gnome, or KDE in years.

I agree with everyone on the kde looks. I use cinnamon and I think it looks really clean and slim which is what I like in a ui

Ugh, I'm sorry but it looks like Fisher Price designed this... I'll stick to more lightweight better looking window managers.

Also on a side note why is every popular desktop window manager adding stupid transitional effects now? Most look atrocious and are sluggish..

I think KDE is the best-looking DE, but also way overblown when it comes to customization. Yeah, it's a good thing and all, but the menus have menus for menus, so it's kind of annoying. I have high hopes for it to take off, however, because I really don't like the way GNOME is going and XFCE looks and feels ancient.

Maybe you people who complain about how KDE looks, write about it to KDE itself? Go to freenode IRC, #kde-art room, and tell how it should be. Or fill a bug at bugzilla.kde.org. Or try to fix it yourself (this is open-source, baby!) and show us the progress and release a patch.

So many options, and you choose to complain.

Maybe you people who complain about how KDE looks, write about it to KDE itself? Go to freenode IRC, #kde-art room, and tell how it should be. Or fill a bug at bugzilla.kde.org. Or try to fix it yourself (this is open-source, baby!) and show us the progress and release a patch.

Cute. I remember a few years back people suggesting very specific things to make the window manager look better to the people involved. They were met with great hostility and found themselves in a never ending debate. End result being, nothing changed. If that's still common practice I understand people for not putting in the effort again. The exact same thing happened with Camino, an OS X browser based on Gecko. Huge fights while the only thing people dared to suggest was to incorporate a lavender/blue sidebar in the bookmarks manager and a borderless window design, as is the norm on OS X.

And before you start: Not everyone has coding skills but do have a very keen eye when it comes to interface design.

• Like 1

I actually have a nice tower at home that I built originally as a HTPC before I went with smaller enclosures. Maybe I should make it a Linux box. I haven't seen Linux, Gnome, or KDE in years.

To be honest, you'd probably be better off using XBMC distro for an HTPC, though you can install the program itself on top of something else, Windows included.

That's what Linux needs more of, right there: Instead of agreeing to disagree, why not dig up the trusty ol' "fine, do it yourself" stick (that has beaten the dead horse to death so many times it's barely a horse)? The Linux community is always in dire need of unwarranted hostility, right?