Can't access internet through router with Homeplug

homeplug virgin media netgear vmdg280

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 100
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:59

Well connected directly to the router you get an ip via dhcp, via wireless you get an IP.

But using homeplugs - do not.

What does that tell you?

As to your sisters PC, what is the output of her ipconfig /all -- for all we know she is setup static?

Maybe it not your homeplugs, maybe its the wiring in the house? Maybe your doing it wrong for how you set them up? But if dhcp works wired direct to router, and wireless to router - then router is fine. And it something between that and your device if your saying you can not get an ip via dhcp when connected that way. Because you just proved that the router is doing what it is suppose to do.

#17 OP Iamit2900

Iamit2900

Love lost and city bound

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:32

Maybe try assigning static 192.168.. addresses to the wired connections, and use googleDNS or Open DNS.
I've had this setup at home that works fine.
But your right, it does look like a wonky DHCP service.

It sounds like an idea, I don't think I can change the router though, I may have to change the settings on my network card.

Well connected directly to the router you get an ip via dhcp, via wireless you get an IP.

But using homeplugs - do not.

What does that tell you?

As to your sisters PC, what is the output of her ipconfig /all -- for all we know she is setup static?

Maybe it not your homeplugs, maybe its the wiring in the house? Maybe your doing it wrong for how you set them up? But if dhcp works wired direct to router, and wireless to router - then router is fine. And it something between that and your device if your saying you can not get an ip via dhcp when connected that way. Because you just proved that the router is doing what it is supposed to do.

That might be right, she is always plugged in so that might be configured as static (I didn't set up the system so wouldn't know) Here is her ipConfig /all

C:\********>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
   Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Baby-Goose
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-B2-77-92
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e0f2:50bf:ada4:e49b%10(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 August 2012 08:25:24
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 August 2012 14:25:34
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167779980
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0F-7D-8E-16-00-1D-09-76-07-03
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connecti
on
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-76-07-03
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::404c:1b31:a020:7058%9(Preferred)
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.112.88(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201334025
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0F-7D-8E-16-00-1D-09-76-07-03
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
									   fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
									   fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15:
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{02ACD387-9914-44A2-9709-CB86ACC6C
428}
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 16:
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{F7692C34-E980-4979-93E2-374D4AF57
42A}
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

It could be cabling but I'll be damned if I know how to check that.
Alternatively: any recommendations for cheap Wi-fi boosters?

#18 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 August 2012 - 14:44

she is dhcp, but odd that here dhcp lease is not 1 hour like you were seeing on yours - that makes no sense at all, unless she got lease from something else???

Your other machines leases were for like 2 minutes over 1 hour, while her's is 6 hours???

BTW you made a comment before about dhcp lease time being isp - NO lease time is what you have set on your router (192.168.0.1) is your dhcp server, not your isp.

BTW - her wire did not get a lease, its 169.254 APIPA - she is using wireless as well. You sure she is connected to your wireless? Different lease time would point to different dhcp server.

#19 OP Iamit2900

Iamit2900

Love lost and city bound

Posted 09 August 2012 - 16:15

she is dhcp, but odd that here dhcp lease is not 1 hour like you were seeing on yours - that makes no sense at all, unless she got lease from something else???

Your other machines leases were for like 2 minutes over 1 hour, while her's is 6 hours???

BTW you made a comment before about dhcp lease time being isp - NO lease time is what you have set on your router (192.168.0.1) is your dhcp server, not your isp.

BTW - her wire did not get a lease, its 169.254 APIPA - she is using wireless as well. You sure she is connected to your wireless? Different lease time would point to different dhcp server.

Ah, my bad I didn't explain. The router was provided by the ISP and comes with their configured installation so the lease timings are set by the ISP. Yes, she is connected to the same wireless and she had been connected for a few hours when I got the ip config...

I just realised that her homeplug is not working either......... :angry: I guess this means I need to start looking for a wi-fi booster... Any recommendations?

#20 OP Iamit2900

Iamit2900

Love lost and city bound

Posted 09 August 2012 - 17:07

Tried changing a couple of Home Plugs around and suddenly, it is all working again...

I think it must of been EM interference.... Can't think of any other explanation

#21 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 August 2012 - 18:17

So you have not access to this router?? Thought you checked that dhcp server was enabled and running, etc.?

Does not matter how long she was on, does not make sense why you would of only gotten a 1 hour lease, why she got a 6 hour lease??

guess its possible her dhcp client requested a specific lease time, that is possible.

So your homeplugs were the problems then. Never been a fan of them - is there no way you can run a real wire?

#22 OP Iamit2900

Iamit2900

Love lost and city bound

Posted 09 August 2012 - 21:30

So you have not access to this router?? Thought you checked that dhcp server was enabled and running, etc.?

Does not matter how long she was on, does not make sense why you would of only gotten a 1 hour lease, why she got a 6 hour lease??

guess its possible her dhcp client requested a specific lease time, that is possible.

So your homeplugs were the problems then. Never been a fan of them - is there no way you can run a real wire?

I have access to the router, it is given for free by the ISP so it comes pre-configured by them. Yes I did check i.e. log onto the router and DHCP was enabled.

In short it wasn't the home plugs. I have used them for at least 3 years with 0 problems in two different properties. I maintain it must of been some sort of EM interference on the power socket cables. It could be down to the Olympics (loads of cell phones) we're near a power substation, electrostatic from rain and clouds etc etc.

At the moment I neither have the money nor time to actually run a real wire through the property but, along with a wireless signal booster is certainly something I would consider deploying in another property....

#23 neotrin2000

neotrin2000

Neowinian

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:25

*Deleted all my content as I see this is resolved*