official fps crysis crytek ea pc xbox 360 ps3

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#91 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,731 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:25

I maintain that if you're buying a card, today, and you want to keep it for more than a year, a 7770 would be a silly choice.

Posted Image

And look at all the cards at the top of the chart.

The one consistent feature they all have is gobs of GPU bandwidth.

The HD77xx (and HD57xx, for that matter) have some of the lowest bandwidth numbers in the entire chart.

Further, the chart-toppers also have high price tags - not one of the Top Ten is priced under $200USD.

Even most of the middle of the chart has consistently remained at or near that $200USD price.

Basically, Crysis 3 (in MP Alpha form) is a GPU bandwidth pig.

However, the bottom of the chart does show a surprise - the GTX550Ti loses (albeit barely) to the HD7750 - which makes no sense for two reasons; the GTX550Ti has more bandwidth, and the HD7750 relies only on the PCIe bus for power (and costs less besides). Care to explain that? (Or even the HD7770 beating both the HD6790 and HD6850 - two GPUs that trump the HD7770 in bandwidth; that is also rather difficult to explain.)

And games change from Alpha to beta - Crysis 2 was plenty of evidence for that.

Seriously, we will need a re-testing with closer-to-release code to see if the chart holds up.

#92 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,166 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:29

snip

Would you stop with your bandwidth hard-on, there's a lot more to a GPU that defines performance.

#93 Vvo

Vvo

nom! nom! nom! Hug a fluffy dolphin!

• 305 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Vibrant (android 4.4.4 KK L-Droid 3.0.1)

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:44

this is sad, how does a hd6990 perform so poorly under such gfx settings?

#94 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,316 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:54

this is sad, how does a hd6990 perform so poorly under such gfx settings?

I got into the Crysis 3 MP alpha and it didn't support GTX680 SLI, so performance was considerably behind that of Crysis 2. I imagine it's the same situation for Crossfire support, as a dual-GPU card shouldn't be outperformed by its single GPU counterpart. Performance will be much better for launch.

#95 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,731 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:10

I'd like what you're smoking, the 650Ti is not anywhere near the 7850. Nvidia has some competitively priced GPUs, 650Ti ain't one of them.

You are comparing 1 GB vs. 1 GB - and at that configuration point, you're right; however, 1 GB GTX650Ti costs less - not more - than HD7850.

Was a 2 GB GTX650Ti even tested?

A 2 GB GTX660Ti *was* tested - where does GTX660 trump GTX650Ti, all else being equal?

Would you stop with your bandwidth hard-on, there's a lot more to a GPU that defines performance.

The top of the chart that was posted says otherwise - however, the bottom of the SAME chart agrees with your statement.

#96 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,166 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:17

You are comparing 1 GB vs. 1 GB - and at that configuration point, you're right; however, 1 GB GTX650Ti costs less - not more - than HD7850.

Was a 2 GB GTX650Ti even tested?

A 2 GB GTX660Ti *was* tested - where does GTX660 trump GTX650Ti, all else being equal?

*sigh* Here's a review. You need to understand that more memory DOES NOT increase GPU performance, it just prevents a bottleneck at higher resolutions and texture qualities. For example, the difference of ~10% you see between the two 650Ti cards in that review is thanks to the higher frequencies, not memory.

#97 Vvo

Vvo

nom! nom! nom! Hug a fluffy dolphin!

• 305 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Vibrant (android 4.4.4 KK L-Droid 3.0.1)

Posted 13 January 2013 - 20:36

I got into the Crysis 3 MP alpha and it didn't support GTX680 SLI, so performance was considerably behind that of Crysis 2. I imagine it's the same situation for Crossfire support, as a dual-GPU card shouldn't be outperformed by its single GPU counterpart. Performance will be much better for launch.

hopefully, however crytek seems to make the games more optimized for nvidia graphics card than amd

#98 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 22:17

Basically, Crysis 3 (in MP Alpha form) is a GPU bandwidth pig.

As will all games from here on out be. We can expect a new line of consoles soon, and graphics improvements to go right along with them.

#99 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,731 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:19

*sigh* Here's a review. You need to understand that more memory DOES NOT increase GPU performance, it just prevents a bottleneck at higher resolutions and texture qualities. For example, the difference of ~10% you see between the two 650Ti cards in that review is thanks to the higher frequencies, not memory.

And did you notice that only the GTX560Ti and GTX580 had better framerates among the GPUs with less RAM? (Both also had greater bandwidth across the memory bus - which Fermi required more so than Kepler.)

Every other GPU that outran the ZOTAC had either the same amount of RAM or higher - so all that extra RAM has another purpose in a single-GPU rig.

I'm NOT saying that large amounts of RAM is a be-all/end-all - otherwise it would make a difference with the 2 GB DDR3 GPUs (and it typically makes zero difference whatever there).

However, in the case of GPUs with memory buses of greater than 128-bit (including those odd-size 192-bit or 384-bit buses that nVidia has been known to use in their Ti and other higher-end cards), they benefit from those larger RAM loadouts, where the 128-bit bus of midrange cards generally don't.

And while a large number of games are indeed becoming GPU pigs (I mentioned Civ V before as an RTS that trods that turf), you can't live there as a developer unless you plan on ignoring consoles - therefore, expect Crysis 3 - a multiplatform title - to chop down some of that piggishness (and doubtless hork off a LOT of high-end PC gamers yet again).

#100 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,351 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 17 January 2013 - 16:18

#101 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,679 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 18 January 2013 - 20:15

Whatever the case there's no way I can hope to play this looking as good as it can on my old 5770. I'm hoping amd has a 8000 series out but I don't see that happening yet which means I just get something like a 7850 or higher.

#102 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,362 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DB5CgTcX1U

People on other forums are upset that it's "just a gun that shoots bullets".

Crysis 2 was a big change from Crysis 1/Warhead, but I get the feeling that people are just trying to get themselves upset at this game.

#103 Guest_xiphi_*

Guest_xiphi_*

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:06

Indeed, they also think just because they see a linear segment, walking down a hall, that the whole game is that way. Can't please 'em all, I guess. Me? I can't wait to pop this in my 360!

#104 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,362 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:16

One of the complaints I saw about Crysis 2 was that the yellow tactical things "told you what to do". I just ignored them personally, yet some people apparently thought they were the only way the game would let you do something.

Crysis 1 wasn't this huge free roam game, the "hallways" were just more open and had plants in them.

#105 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,351 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:35

People on other forums are upset that it's "just a gun that shoots bullets".

Crysis 2 was a big change from Crysis 1/Warhead, but I get the feeling that people are just trying to get themselves upset at this game.

They shouldn't be upset. It's a human weapon so the assumption that it should fire plasma instead of bullets or electrostatic pellets is unwarranted.