Formatting drive in Windows 8

I window 8 installed and I want to reinstall it again, but I want to format the harddrive first, now I remember when installing with windows 7 you had the choice to do thatbefore you installed it...I don't see that when installing windows 8. How would I format now?

You can format the drive if you click on 'Drive options (advanced)' during this part of the installation process:

<snip>

Talk about inconsistency, where is the Metro on the Installer???

You can format the drive if you click on 'Drive options (advanced)' during this part of the installation process:

SsDkm.jpg

Ok I'm installing it within Windows 8, i'm just double clicking the setup exe and I'm not getting that screen, am I assuming that , that pic is after you reboot into the dvd and start it from there?

Talk about inconsistency, where is the Metro on the Installer???

Microsoft were too lazy to update the installer. Aero Glass still lives! :shifty:

Ok I'm installing it within Windows 8, i'm just double clicking the setup exe and I'm not getting that screen, am I assuming that , that pic is after you reboot into the dvd and start it from there?

As Detection has said, you should boot from DVD/USB to do a clean install.

Installing inside windows is for upgrade, boot from DVD to format and clean install

Ok thanks

I have a bit of a two fold problem now 1. I had a distro of linux installed in a partition I deleted that partition and now I can't boot into windows 2. The copy of windows 8 pro that I have is a leaked one and I thought I had the key for it to install but it seems that I don't...so now at this moment my laptop is useless...and I'm wondering if I do get a key to install and I format my drive will that grub still be there?? And if need be how do I get rid of it from present situation?

I have a bit of a two fold problem now 1. I had a distro of linux installed in a partition I deleted that partition and now I can't boot into windows 2. The copy of windows 8 pro that I have is a leaked one and I thought I had the key for it to install but it seems that I don't...so now at this moment my laptop is useless...and I'm wondering if I do get a key to install and I format my drive will that grub still be there?? And if need be how do I get rid of it from present situation?

Assuming you've installed grub in the MBR of the drive it is still there. The Windows 8 installer will overwrite it though.

Formatting your drive will remove that grub for sure as well as your windows too. Just take backup before formatting.

Ok thanks, I guess this is not the place where I can get a key to install it? Wasn't there like a generic key that could be used to install, not activate?

Ok thanks, I guess this is not the place where I can get a key to install it? Wasn't there like a generic key that could be used to install, not activate?

That is not a question you will get answers for on here. Your best bet is to purchase a TechNet or MSDN account - or wait until the general availability of Windows 8 on October 26th.

That is not a question you will get answers for on here. Your best bet is to purchase a TechNet or MSDN account - or wait until the general availability of Windows 8 on October 26th.

or if anything he could download an install the trial copy of windows 8 just to get the laptop up and running for now

Ic, I get it, well thanks anyway

I can't, I only have the laptop and I can't boot into it,I replying to these post on my blackberry, oh well I guess I'll just reinstall 7 then, and figure it out fro there

One quick thing now, I reinstalled windows 7, now I couldn't tell what I was install since i didn't label the dvd and I install a 64 bit version on my 32 bit laptop, I didn't know you could do that? I'm not going to keep it on here since i don't think its tto good for my machine, is it?

One quick thing now, I reinstalled windows 7, now I couldn't tell what I was install since i didn't label the dvd and I install a 64 bit version on my 32 bit laptop, I didn't know you could do that? I'm not going to keep it on here since i don't think its tto good for my machine, is it?

if your machine wasn't able to do 64bit it would have shot an error telling you so when you booted up the dvd and it wouldn't have allowed you to install

so your machine was 64bit capable (i'm guessing it had vista on it originally)

if your machine wasn't able to do 64bit it would have shot an error telling you so when you booted up the dvd and it wouldn't have allowed you to install

so your machine was 64bit capable (i'm guessing it had vista on it originally)

Oh wow I didn't know that, yea it did have vista when I bought it. Ok I'm going to take it off, cus the machine is too old , not enuff memory or processor power to handle it, but thanks for the info.

Oh wow I didn't know that, yea it did have vista when I bought it. Ok I'm going to take it off, cus the machine is too old , not enuff memory or processor power to handle it, but thanks for the info.

yeah, the OEMs were bad about putting 32bit vista on machines that could handle 64bit just fine

they were also bad (especially when vista just came out) about putting vista on machines that vista had no right being on because they were still at XP level hardware wise (which is one of the other main reasons vista had such a bad rep)