Its been accepted into Greenlight already, but its not available and the fastest mirror I have found is an incredible 75KB a sec, meaning an 10+ hour download, not bad for a 100Mb connection ... Not ....

Surely they could have handled this better than they have? I mean it's been waited for for 8years so they should have known it was going to be popular when released :(

I was Dling Shack And Torrent, Both were the Same. Decided i play my part though and Dl torrent, sharing while im downloading. Two hours isnt that long to wait.

Any Dl tips for torrent ?

I'm getting speeds ranging from 150 KB/sec to ~400 KB/sec with the Shacknews link. It's much better than the torrent linked here. Don't rule out the torrent though. You might get a fast download with it.

Why am I using torrent ? Because I get over 1mb/s easily, thats why. And if the download fails on a normal download, you have to start over.

I clearly asked because I thought it was on Steam. I know why people use torrents. Nice attitude though.

EDIT - I see it has hit newsgroups, 9 minutes left for me.

Well my torrent jumped to 1.6MB which is my connection max. Now it is complete, so i'll seed it for a few days now.

My advice is use the torrent for now, as InsaneNutter said, it will get quicker. I think this will be the best source for a while as this is a mod that is eagerly anticipated. So i don't think they have the budget for a big hosting plan.

Well my torrent jumped to 1.6MB which is my connection max. Now it is complete, so i'll seed it for a few days now.

My advice is use the torrent for now, as InsaneNutter said, it will get quicker. I think this will be the best source for a while as this is a mod that is eagerly anticipated. So i don't think they have the budget for a big hosting plan.

If I might ask, How large is the file? How long did it take for you to download? I have the same connection speed as you, I just want to know what I'm in for when i get home. :)

If I might ask, How large is the file? How long did it take for you to download? I have the same connection speed as you, I just want to know what I'm in for when i get home. :)

It is 3.8GB and off the top of my head it probably took about an hour and a half. That is because it started off really slowly, although i think it has been out for a few hours there will be more seeds and the speeds should be much quicker.

It is 3.8GB and off the top of my head it probably took about an hour and a half. That is because it started off really slowly, although i think it has been out for a few hours there will be more seeds and the speeds should be much quicker.

Guess I got lucky with timing when I started mine; was over 4000 seeders and took me maybe 20 minutes or so to download.

To anyone having trouble with the torrent, if you use uTorrent this list of trackers may help speed things along:

This is exactly the sort of thing torrents were designed for, if you configure your client correctly you should easily be able to max your connection out once the download gets going.

Some tips that might help you get better speeds on the torrent.

Limit your upload speed to about 75% of what you can upload at, if your uploading as fast as you can it will kill your download speeds.

• Protocol Encryption: Forced
  • Allow incoming legacy connections: No
  • Enable UPNP port mapping (presuming you have not opened a port for your client on your router)
  • Choose a random port
  • Enable DHT
  • Enable UDP Tracker Support

I had no problems downloading it personally, probably took around 20-30 mins in total.

The torrent has 6000+ seeds now, seeding as fast as can :)

ofpllk.png

Ya, its a 3.8gb download, and when it installed, it takes up just a little over 8gb of space on your HDD.

you need steam yes , you will also need to download the free source sdk base 2007

Steam, and the Tool SDK 2007 is required. With out both of those, it will not play

To get the SDK 2007, go to the Tool section in Library and download it. Installed it. Then you can run Black Messa.

Thanks guys.

I'm over an hour in and I'm very much enjoying it so far. Generally it's very well done and performance is excellent, though I had a few parts when my framerate dropped from 200-300fps to 40fps - that's pretty poor considering my specs.

Overall? Very impressed.

I'm over an hour in and I'm very much enjoying it so far. Generally it's very well done and performance is excellent, though I had a few parts when my framerate dropped from 200-300fps to 40fps - that's pretty poor considering my specs.

Overall? Very impressed.

The frame-rate drops you experienced are a bit disconcerting. My gaming PC is nowhere near as powerful as yours. I always enable vertical sync which limits my frame-rate to 60 FPS. Hopefully, it won't drop like yours did. I'm glad you're impressed though. I held myself back from completing Half-Life 1 in the hopes that I would enjoy it on a better engine.

I always enable vertical sync which limits my frame-rate to 60 FPS.

I usually use an external framerate limiter, as v-sync often interferes with mouse responsiveness. In this case I had v-sync enabled but thought it might be interfering with performance, so I disabled it and used the console to bring up the framerate for diagnostic purposes. As you can imagine, I'm not used to framerate drops in Source engine games.

I'm glad you're impressed though. I held myself back from completing Half-Life 1 in the hopes that I would enjoy it on a better engine.

I've completed Half-Life several times over the years and I've also watched all the Freeman's Mind episodes on YouTube, so I'm very familiar with the game. Already I've noticed some relatively significant - but well done - changes.

Here are a few screenshots I took earlier:

6EB5B252546BCEE5657EABE41A948B608C42E58C

58F6C1FBDC8952D11A3A8CF6F0A5BE51228C9F85

B4B55B2626381CCF6EEEBA0FD63E5C07D580A484

What are your impressions after playing Black Mesa? I happen to absolutely love the details. Right after starting the game, I was able to read text on posters and interact with many of the characters in a witty way! The attention to detail is amazing because there are simple thins you can do that just make the whole thing more fun. An example of that is giving a guy in the stall toilet papers, or pressing the alarm button and freaking everyone out, or even throwing a keyboard at a guard and have him complain.

The graphics are stunning, especially after the disaster happens. The entire facility is dark and on fire. It absolutely looks awesome!