official project cars slightly mad studios galileo pc ps4 wii u xbox one

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#16 Cereal Bawks

Cereal Bawks

Neowinian

• 240 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 23:41

Same models, same textures, same shaders. Why would PCARS look better in DX11 than in DX9?!

#17 OP LeviathanPT

LeviathanPT

Neowinian

• 104 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III

Posted 04 September 2012 - 23:56

No need to fight over this guys :p i understand what you mean.

Cereal Bawks is explaining that in Project Cars currently you see barely no difference at all between DX9 and DX11, the reason why is that the DX11 version isnt fully implement. The developers need to finish the tracks first (since they are the heavier content) to see what margin of fps they have to use dx11 effects like tesselation and so on. Doesnt mean the final content will be lacking quality in DX11 or some amazing visual effects.

That game looks pretty sick. DX11 really unleashes the graphic possibilities.

So is there a playable version of the game out there? And is there a release date they are shooting for? Their website doesn't seem to spread much insight on either of these things. Or maybe I just missed it.

There is a playable version currently available and it works like i explained in the main post, if you wish to help them raise funds by supporting them you get a chance of playing the current pre-alpha version of the game .
These are the Tool & Perks
Posted Image

Getting involved with Project CARS :You should then be able to log in to the game with your forum details.

Got some feedback? Head over to the Project CARS forums to talk directly with the team!

Monthly/Weekly/Daily Builds, for those that dont know, are versions of the game, they usually release in a weekly basis for the Team Member+ a new version of the game with improvements and new content so you can play and give them feedback if you are enjoying or not, the Junior members will get these builds in a monthly basis.

#18 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,505 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 05 September 2012 - 00:40

I have been waiting for a racing game! I'm becoming a member :D Now to choose what level of membership...Question, is there anywhere that shows you when/where the track days are. I'm kinda interested...

#19 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,505 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:19

Yeah, I bought in :) The world could use more racing games, rather than all these stupid ass multiplayer FPS'.

#20 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,022 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:29

Same models, same textures, same shaders. Why would PCARS look better in DX11 than in DX9?!

The same reason why they chose DX11 over DX9. And you still haven't answered my previous question...

On topic: Count me in for the 25 Euro membership. This game looks like it has huge potential, so I'm all in to support it. :)

#21 Cereal Bawks

Cereal Bawks

Neowinian

• 240 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:34

If I draw a red polygon on the screen, it doesn't automagically become better looking because I'm using DX11 over DX9. There's a DX11 renderer in PCARS, which uses exactly the same assets as the DX9 one, as such it looks exactly the same, ignoring FXAA and SMAA.

#22 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,022 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:51

No need to ignore FXAA and SMAA.
Add to the list:
Tessellation, multi-threading, directcompute, etc, the list goes on.
Fact is that DX11 utilizes the power of modern hardware whereas DX9 can not. 9 is the thing of the past hence why more and more games are moving away from it.

Yes a polygon is a polygon, but if you can draw and refresh millions of them in unison whereas dx9 can't keep up, then the true quality shows through.
Do a simple google search for DX11 vs DX9 and you'll find hundreds of examples that prove exactly what I've said. It's all about performance, and a performance bottleneck limits quality.

#23 Cereal Bawks

Cereal Bawks

Neowinian

• 240 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:59

Who gives a crap about other games. We're talking PCARS here, and it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary with DX11. It looks the same as in DX9 because it does exactly the same. Play the game first before you keep telling me the contrary.

#24 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,022 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:08

Who gives a crap about other games. We're talking PCARS here, and it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary with DX11. It looks the same as in DX9 because it does exactly the same. Play the game first before you keep telling me the contrary.

Well if you don't want to learn the proper facts, then that's your issue.
And I have 3+ GB left on the rather slow download. I'll let you know my thoughts when it's done.

#25 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,348 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:16

The potential for DX11 is great but it's up to the developer to use features like tesselation and compute shaders. Let's discuss the game and end this DX11 vs. DX9 debate.

I've been following Project CARS for many months and I'm always amazed by the quality of the screenshots. Back when Gran Turismo 5 was released for the PS3, I imagined what a racing simulator would look like if it was developed for PCs instead of consoles. As a PC gamer, my enjoyment of games like GT5 and Forza Motorsport 3 was tainted by low quality graphics. The games were fun but the graphics were not as good as I had hoped for.

I plan on buying it when it's released. For now, enjoying the fan-made screenshots and trailers is enough.

#26 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,311 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:18

No one has pointed out the obvious for DX11. Games can see a pretty decent performance boost by just switching all the calls to DX11. Star Trek Online did that and saw a pretty sizable gain.

#27 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,505 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:21

And I have 3+ GB left on the rather slow download. I'll let you know my thoughts when it's done.

There's a thread with a link to a torrent (build 249, I believe). The torrent will download fast, and once you install that build, you can run the game, and it will update to the latest build, which is a less painful 552 MB download.

#28 Cereal Bawks

Cereal Bawks

Neowinian

• 240 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:31

PCARS' DX11 renderer doesn't use any of the features it has access to over DX9. So again, what makes you so goddamn sure that the game looks better? You haven't even played it, unlike the 200+ builds I've had installed. But apparently I don't have my facts straight.

#29 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,022 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:57

There's a thread with a link to a torrent (build 249, I believe). The torrent will download fast, and once you install that build, you can run the game, and it will update to the latest build, which is a less painful 552 MB download.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, that's much better. :)

#30 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,505 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:13

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, that's much better. :)

No problem. Still downloading here. Downloaded 66 MB file, now 86 MB, all this after the 552MB file. Still better than the 3.4GB...I will play this game before I goto bed dammit :D

Argh, now downloading another 229MB file.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!