• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:46

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to keep a quote of this. It is one of the best, most succinct responses I've seen on the DRM topic yet.

Oh wow thanks ;)

#32 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,295 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:50

Always On DRM was one of the things that would be an instant no-purchase for me. Ever.

I don't care how good the game, if I can't play it when the net is out, while travelling, etc, then I have no need for it.

I dislike DRM in general, but if it must be there, I want it out of my face.. One of the reasons I love Steam, it's there, but you never really see it.

#33 Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

• 3,802 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:56

I wrote an essay to the CEO on why DRM is bloody frustrating only for those who buy it. I guess our voices were finally heard.

To Ubisoft:
Posted Image

#34 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

• 4,933 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:07

I wonder if any people buy the console version of a game and feel entitled to the PC version, since it's the same game and they certainly aren't going to buy it twice.

#35 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,762 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:13

I wonder if Ubi trully understands just how much they've alienated so many of their customers. And just how many will never have anything to do with them ever again. :glare:

I've already vowed to never buy another game from them.

#36 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

• 4,933 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:28

I think they should show us some data. Also the main reason people stay away from DRM is they are worried about security and system stability. some DRM like Origin, etc, introduces back-doors into your system and they run at ring0, thus having super-permission sets that take over your system. Hackers can easily gain access and have full control over your system. DRM mechanisms like that should never be used.

Origin is not DRM. There is no DRM included. No drivers or services are installed by it.

#37 Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

• 3,802 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:41

Origin is not DRM. There is no DRM included. No drivers or services are installed by it.

You're right, Origin is definitely not used as copy protection. You can launch all of its games completely segregate from the client. 100%.

#38 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

• 3,127 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:46

I think they should show us some data. Also the main reason people stay away from DRM is they are worried about security and system stability. some DRM like Origin, etc, introduces back-doors into your system and they run at ring0, thus having super-permission sets that take over your system. Hackers can easily gain access and have full control over your system. DRM mechanisms like that should never be used.

Do you do the writing for CSI? because this sounds like the kind of technobabble nonsense they would use.

"Ok, let's install the Origin back-door, make sure to run it at ring0 to get the super-permission to take over the system. While you're doing that I'll create a GUI in Visual Basic to track the IP."

#39 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

• 4,933 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:04

You're right, Origin is definitely not used as copy protection. You can launch all of its games completely segregate from the client. 100%.

I assume sarcasm in there.

Having common functionality that said games require does not make it copy protection.

Should we call Windows copy protection since many games require Windows to launch? Or would that just be silly? ;)

#40 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

• 4,933 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:16

Do you do the writing for CSI? because this sounds like the kind of technobabble nonsense they would use.

"Ok, let's install the Origin back-door, make sure to run it at ring0 to get the super-permission to take over the system. While you're doing that I'll create a GUI in Visual Basic to track the IP."

It used to be a far more common belief. Starforce gained a lot of distrust over the whole thing. Myself I don't know how accurate the claims were, I didn't like Starforce for a lot of other reasons. (Game stability and x64 issues and such.)

#41 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:36

Another thing bad about EA DRM and thier policies.... let's say you get banned on their forums.... you get banned from all your 'offline' single player games... they may have thrown it out, however it was still bad... and if it still goes on than that's still wrong.

#42 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,214 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:33

My question is: Do you think piracy cost them a measurable amount of sales?

My follow-up would be, do you think their anti-piracy methods cost them more sales than they gained through converting would be pirates.

And my last question is, is the goal of copy protection about increasing sales or keeping non-payers from playing?

In the Witcher case, yes. While a lot of people would'nt hav bought the game, I think we can safely assume 2 out of those 4.5 million would have bought it, at the very least 1, which would have doubled or tripled their sales.

As for the follow up. Since the Witcher didn't come with any DRM I'd say none at all. One of their distributors put drm on their release, and the dev released patch that removed it.

As for the goal of DRM, it's not really about either, yet both. The primary purpose of the game is to make it through the first 1-2 weeks without piracy. Experience from the past and from DRMs that have survived the first few weeks have shown that if you can prevent piracy in the first couple of weeks you will have significantly higher sales.

People can claim they pirate just to "demo" all they want, and while some do(they should just use the demo or just boycott instead) at least half the pirates pirate because they just don't want to pay, even cheap games. As you hit the younger generation this percentage goes a lot higher.

#43 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,214 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:41

It used to be a far more common belief. Starforce gained a lot of distrust over the whole thing. Myself I don't know how accurate the claims were, I didn't like Starforce for a lot of other reasons. (Game stability and x64 issues and such.)

Starforce gained a lot of hate for one reason. It actually worked. It was really hard to crack games, cracks usually didn't get released untill long after the game was released, and/or required you to unplug you DVD drives.

All the claims that starforce broke drives came exclusively from pirates who where annoyed it worked. When starforce asked for proof and asked people to send in their broken drives for compensation, for some reason no one did...

That said, no I didn't like starforce, both for their deep integration not the OS thugh it didn't have any effect outside of preventing pirated games, and because I was young at the time ;)

Another thing bad about EA DRM and thier policies.... let's say you get banned on their forums.... you get banned from all your 'offline' single player games... they may have thrown it out, however it was still bad... and if it still goes on than that's still wrong.

Don't be an ass ;)

Though I agree it shouldn't affect offline games, though as far as I remember this isn't 100% true. It affected BF3, which didn't really have an offline mode, which is why it affected it since it was always online even when you played alone.

#44 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:45

reddit and other sites were totally lit up with that mess.... just about any gaming forum was as well... I couldn't visit a tech site without seeing it for months....

#45 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,214 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:29

yes, of course, gamers are a self entitled bunch of brats, so if one guy claims he was banned for being a a-hole. then 20 more while claim they where to and 5000 while go to a forum and post how unfair it is.

it's quite funny to watch when it happens. it's like a cascade explosion of 14 year old whines across the Internet :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!