ama

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 recoveryrocks

recoveryrocks

Neowinian

• 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 19:55

Not sure how much interest this thread will generate, but I figured I'd at least put it out there :)

I'm a recovering drug addict. I'm a member of Narcotics Anonymous.

Ask me anything!

Note: I do not represent NA in any way.

#2 Emon

Emon

/dev/null

• 2,080 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 20:18

Are you confusing Neowin with Reddit?

#3 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

• 2,278 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 20:21

Not sure how much interest this thread will generate, but I figured I'd at least put it out there :)

I'm a recovering drug addict. I'm a member of Narcotics Anonymous.

Ask me anything!

Note: I do not represent NA in any way.

which substance(s)?

#4 OP recoveryrocks

recoveryrocks

Neowinian

• 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 20:25

Are you confusing Neowin with Reddit?

Not at all. I just figured the people of Neowin might be interested.

which substance(s)?

At one point, my drug of choice was Oxy's. Once OxyNeo came out, I switched to coke

#5 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 21:57

Congratulations on your recovery. :)

#6 Jimmy0

Jimmy0

Neowinian Senior

• 5,022 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 13:43

At the peak of your habit, how much were you using per day?

#7 OP recoveryrocks

recoveryrocks

Neowinian

• 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:32

At the peak of your habit, how much were you using per day?

About $500

#8 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

• 1,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:35

About $500

Where do you get $500 a day? (no offense, assuming you don't have a job since you're at your peak)
What made you decide to go u-turn?

#9 OP recoveryrocks

recoveryrocks

Neowinian

• 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:40

Where do you get $500 a day? (no offense, assuming you don't have a job since you're at your peak)
What made you decide to go u-turn?

Anywhere I could :blush: . I won't go into specifics to avoid incriminating myself (just to be 'safe'), but pretty much the only things I refused to do was 1) sell my body and 2) steal from my drug-using friends (if I ripped them off, well... no more drugs, right?)

Edit: btw... I did have a full-time job, even at the peak of my using. So that helped with about, oh, $100 of the habit

#10 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,749 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:44

how long have you been sober?

#11 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian

• 25,394 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:44

Not got anything to ask but just wanted to say congrats on recovering (Y)

#12 OP recoveryrocks

recoveryrocks

Neowinian

• 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:46

My clean date is September 28, 2011. So, just under a year.

Congratulations on your recovery. :)

Not got anything to ask but just wanted to say congrats on recovering (Y)

Thank you :)

#13 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• 2,749 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 12 September 2012 - 14:48

yep that was my only question to

I will wish you your 1 yr on the 28th :D

#14 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,814 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 15:15

I've got one for you: Why did you quit? Obviously I commend you on doing so, but what made you stop? Did people say something to you? Did they throw you in to rehab? Did you just wake up one day and think, "I want to change who I am"?

I ask partly for myself. I can be a heavy drinker, and then two friends in the past 2 weeks separately suggested that I take a break (note: neither of these two people know one another, so there was no discussion between them). Sure enough, as of Saturday morning I haven't had a drink, and my plan is to not have a drink for a month, so it will come to an end in October. But if I ask, "am I doing this for myself?" the answer is most definitely "no." I'm doing it because two separate people suggested it, and I want to show them that there is no problem.

Another question just came to mind: How was it, quitting at the beginning? I imagine it got easier over time?

For me, the break in my drinking hasn't affected me too much so far. I get annoyed quicker and I feel like snapping over the simplest of things (this is especially true at work). I've also found it harder to engage with my friends sometimes because my brain doesn't shut down, so while they're talking I'm either still thinking about work, or something else that's happening in my life. Yesterday there were a couple of occasions in the pub where someone started speaking, I zoned out with my own thoughts and then came back to the room just in time for my friend to stop speaking and look at me for some sort of answer.

#15 OP recoveryrocks

recoveryrocks

Neowinian

• 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 15:22

I've got one for you: Why did you quit? Obviously I commend you on doing so, but what made you stop? Did people say something to you? Did they throw you in to rehab? Did you just wake up one day and think, "I want to change who I am"?

I ask partly for myself. I can be a heavy drinker, and then two friends in the past 2 weeks separately suggested that I take a break (note: neither of these two people know one another, so there was no discussion between them). Sure enough, as of Saturday morning I haven't had a drink, and my plan is to not have a drink for a month, so it will come to an end in October. But if I ask, "am I doing this for myself?" the answer is most definitely "no." I'm doing it because two separate people suggested it, and I want to show them that there is no problem.

Another question just came to mind: How was it, quitting at the beginning? I imagine it got easier over time?

For me, the break in my drinking hasn't affected me too much so far. I get annoyed quicker and I feel like snapping over the simplest of things (this is especially true at work). I've also found it harder to engage with my friends sometimes because my brain doesn't shut down, so while they're talking I'm either still thinking about work, or something else that's happening in my life. Yesterday there were a couple of occasions in the pub where someone started speaking, I zoned out with my own thoughts and then came back to the room just in time for my friend to stop speaking and look at me for some sort of answer.

Good luck with the not-drinking :) It can be very challenging at times.

I stopped because I knew I had a problem. I ended up going to the detox centre where I live for 5 days, and once I had a wee bit of clean time I realized even more how much I hated using -- and, yet, while I was using I couldn't just stop. I went to detox because I figured my parents were going to kick me out once they found out about my using, and I needed a safe place to stay for a couple days while I figured out where I was going to live :-/