chevy munro & associates volt gm

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 23:41

General Motors is taking a $49,000 bath on each Chevy Volt it sells, according to a report.

Citing data provided by consulting firm Munro & Associates, Reuters estimates that each one of the ballyhooed pug-in hybrid vehicles is currently costing upward of $89,000 to produce. With a sticker price of just less than $40,000, that makes for a sticker price disaster.

GM denied the estimate, calling it “grossly wrong, in part because the reporters allocated product development costs across the number of Volts sold instead of allocating across the lifetime volume of the program.”

But Sandy Munro told FoxNews.com that he stands behind the number, though he added that it was calculated based on industry standards without any specific inside information about the Volt program.

GM has never released exact numbers on development and production costs for the Volt, in part because many of the components used to make it are shared with other vehicles, including its platform and internal combustion engine. Nevertheless, even before it went into production the automaker admitted that the first generation of the car was not likely to turn a profit.

GM's response to the Reuters article further states that “every investment in technology that GM makes is designed to have a payoff for our customers, to meet future regulatory requirements and add to the bottom line. The Volt is no different, even if it takes longer to become profitable.”

full story

#2 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

• 911 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 23:42

Bailout money hard at work :(

#3 nominak

nominak

Neowinian Senior

• 3,159 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:43

They're not losing $49,000 on each volt.

http://jalopnik.com/...-with-each-volt

#4 hamslammer

hamslammer

Neowinian

• 241 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:24

General Motors is taking a $49,000 bath on each Chevy Volt it sells, according to a report.

Citing data provided by consulting firm Munro & Associates, Reuters estimates that each one of the ballyhooed pug-in hybrid vehicles is currently costing upward of $89,000 to produce. With a sticker price of just less than $40,000, that makes for a sticker price disaster.

GM denied the estimate, calling it “grossly wrong, in part because the reporters allocated product development costs across the number of Volts sold instead of allocating across the lifetime volume of the program.”

But Sandy Munro told FoxNews.com that he stands behind the number, though he added that it was calculated based on industry standards without any specific inside information about the Volt program.

GM has never released exact numbers on development and production costs for the Volt, in part because many of the components used to make it are shared with other vehicles, including its platform and internal combustion engine. Nevertheless, even before it went into production the automaker admitted that the first generation of the car was not likely to turn a profit.

GM's response to the Reuters article further states that “every investment in technology that GM makes is designed to have a payoff for our customers, to meet future regulatory requirements and add to the bottom line. The Volt is no different, even if it takes longer to become profitable.”

full story

The sad part is that the American taxpayer is paying for this disaster caused by the Obama regime. I'll be elated to see him go this November.

#5 jamieakers

jamieakers

Neowinian

• 510 posts
  • Phone: Dell Venue Pro

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:25

The sad part is that the American taxpayer is paying for this disaster caused by the Obama regime. I'll be elated to see him go this November.

With people like you voting it's no wonder the USA is in the trouble that they are.

#6 Beyond Godlike

Beyond Godlike

Neowinian

• 1,141 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:36

Actually, unlike the Bush debt, OBama didn't give money to these companies, he gave them loans, which are almost paid back. The government is MAKING money off the loans. You fail.

Hahha, and theyll say "according to the liberal media only"..cause we know Fox denies facts and gets away with it.

#7 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:40

They're not losing $49,000 on each volt.

http://jalopnik.com/...-with-each-volt

LOL. What ****ty site. They even have a typo in the URL. I wouldn't believe anything that those jackasses say.

#8 rhianntp

rhianntp

Neowinian

• 216 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:41

of course they can afford to make products they lose money on..you and I paid for it....this fraud is going down in a landslide.. MOST Americans understand our ecomomic system better than those in power right now...

#9 streetw0lf

streetw0lf

Neowinian

• 480 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:42

Remember, Bush gave Free grants to the banks with no strings attached, 800 billion or so. They're the folks that then used part of it to pay outrageous bonuses for running the business in the ground. They could do anything they want with it and never give a penny back.

The auto bailout as mentioned was a loan that is almost paid back with interest. Ford was the only major car manufacturer that didn't accept any money from the Feds.

I realize Republicans and Obama haters don't believe in 'fact checking' but here you have the facts.

#10 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:53

Maths! Never trust a journalist with them. :laugh:

#11 Big b0b

Big b0b

Neowinian

• 170 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 16:17

lots of obama lovers in here I see...

#12 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 23:58

I can't believe GM is losing that much money per car. Not unless they are getting a huge kickback from the government.

#13 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,711 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:29

I hope this is not true. I mean I have not seen many on the road either. This is sad.

#14 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 18:46

Why The Government needs to stay out of the auto business.

#15 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 18:51

Nice try pushing your agenda.

"It's the latest in a series of publicity challenges for the Volt, which conservatives has criticized as the Obama-mobile, despite the fact that it was in the works years before Barack Obama considered running for the White House. The car was first introduced as a concept vehicle in January 2007, two years before Obama took office, and was first sold in fall 2010.

Read more: http://www.canada.co...l#ixzz26NRv9goQ"