• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 12 September 2012 - 21:01

so with no UDID lock does that mean us normal folks can download and try this GM build then?

#17 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 12 September 2012 - 21:05

so with no UDID lock does that mean us normal folks can download and try this GM build then?

Yes.

#18 OP Garry

Garry

CCNP & CISSP

Posted 12 September 2012 - 22:05

There actually haven't been any UDID locks in any of the iOS 6 betas strangely.

Oh, and I downloaded iTunes 10.7 (mac) btw. Filename is simply iTunes10.7.dmg and it installs... iTunes 10.7.

#19 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 September 2012 - 22:16

There actually haven't been any UDID locks in any of the iOS 6 betas strangely.

Oh, and I downloaded iTunes 10.7 (mac) btw. Filename is simply iTunes10.7.dmg and it installs... iTunes 10.7.

Really? Hmm... then why did I have my developer friend add my iPad to his UDID list :-P? And then there were all those sites popping up advertising to register you UDID for you for $15 or w/e. I guess all of that wasn't necessary?

Admitting, I never tried to install it on a device that did not have UDID registered as a developer device. But that is because all the information at the time said you had to have your device registered in order for Apple to activate.

#20 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 13 September 2012 - 00:26

Just loaded iOS 6 onto my new iPad and there's just nothing of interest there. Apple's new Maps app is a tremendous step backwards compared to Google Maps. There are no public transit directions available whatsoever in Amsterdam and for whatever reason Apple thought it was a good idea to give building blocks the same color as rural land. Turn-by-turn navigation is in English, which just sounds incredibly dumb when it involves Dutch street names. The only thing I like is the new Clock app (took them long enough to add), but STILL no Weather app present.

It just seems like Apple is sitting on its ass doing hardly anything of interest anymore.

#21 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian

Posted 13 September 2012 - 00:30

It just seems like Apple is sitting on their asses doing hardly anything of interest anymore.

Indeed - http://www.collegehu...topher-mcdonald

#22 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:19

It just seems like Apple is sitting on its ass doing hardly anything of interest anymore.

The maps app is a step backwards, but Google Maps on iOS really wasn't that great either. Sadly the only real solution for good maps on iOS may be 3rd party.

iOS 6 just isn't as significant of an update as 4 (multitasking) and 5 (notifications) were. There are subtle refinements but no major new features that I'm terribly interested in.

#23 - jigz -

- jigz -

Neowinian

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:19

Got it running on iPhone 4S. Safari feels a lot more snappier than before.. Siri, finally can find things in Canada. Good thing they removed the YouTube app, because the one from apple store is so much better! Apple maps is okay, I guess. Nothing really new.

#24 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:21

Anyone have the GM MD5 for the iPhone 4S?

I believe it is e145b74b35bf789f82641f987d93e876

#25 Arpit

Arpit

The neowin lurker

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:22

Got it running on iPhone 4S. Safari feels a lot more snappier than before.. Siri, finally can find things in Canada. Good thing they removed the YouTube app, because the one from apple store is so much better! Apple maps is okay, I guess. Nothing really new.

agreed on all of the above except that the live traffic is for a lot fewer reports than was with google maps. hope that is improved with time.

#26 - jigz -

- jigz -

Neowinian

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:47

Anyone have the GM MD5 for the iPhone 4S?

I believe it is e145b74b35bf789f82641f987d93e876

Got this from another site:
4S GM is (confirmed by a dev): e145b74b35bf789f82641f987d93e876

I got mine somewhere else as well. Did a clean restore and it went through with no problem.

#27 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:17

I've been running iOS 6 on my iPhone 4S since they first announced it months ago and I have to echo others statements here there just isn't much in it. It's mostly little refinements obvious changes there is no innovation here.

Steve Jobs liked to trot out this quote that if henry ford had asked people what they wanted they would have asked for a faster horse. Well that is what iOS 6 is. It's a faster horse. All the changes that have been made could easily have been predicted by users and indeed many of them were things we've been asking for. There is no innovation from Apple in this release, only logical evolution.

And maybe I'm being a bit selfish or undervaluing the work they've already put in to iOS, maybe I've been spoiled by Apples past releases that brought us the Application Store, Luke-warm-Multitasking & Notification centre. But if that is true Apple have only themselves to blame with each release they say their operating system is the most advanced, they use words like magical, innovative, the best on the planet. If you continually use marketing words like this when unveiling new products and software updates then your user base is going to expect great leaps with each new generation of product.

I feel like iOS 6 was a missed opportunity, I feel like it should have been a 5.5 update especially when you compare it to Jelly Bean which it too is more of an incremental update that improves performance and brings few new features but Google isn't saying it's Android 5.0, no it's 4.1 a x.1 release and that is exactly how iOS 6 feels, an incremental point release.

Beyond just iOS, I know this thread isn't for it but my sentiments about iOS 6 is pretty much how I feel about the iPhone 5 too. It's a taller iPhone 4S with a new dock connector, three microphones and a bizarre looking back. They sacrificed features like NFC and Inductive charging which I personally think are really cool features, just to have their phone be the thinnest and I think their priorities on that are all wrong. I want a smart phone not an anorexic phone.

A smart phone today means connectivity and sensors. Be that Bluetooth, WiFi, FM/AM Radios, LTE, Magnetometers, Compasses, GPS, Gyroscopes, Accelerometers and more. Phones today need to be as connected and aware of the world around them as possible that is real innovation that is what allows 3rd party developers to take a phone and turn it in to the Star Trek Tricorder we've always envisioned these devices becoming for them to say "It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem" is just total rubbish. You can't know what people will do with a technology until you make it available we never envisioned that augmented reality would exist on these devices until Apple provided enough sensors to make it reliable and accurate.

I'm disappointed not just in the phone they unveiled or the OS it runs but their whole tunnel-vision philosophy it feels wrong and I just can't buy in to this or them at this point, I think I've spent my last dime on an Apple phone and I'm probably gonna buy a Samsung device in the coming months, most likely after Google announce the next Nexus device.

#28 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:21

The iOS GM isn't UDID locked. I installed it after updating iTunes to 10.7. So far, nothing amazing about it. I guess it's one of those things where we have to wait for the developers to fully utilize it to make something awesome.

#29 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:26

I installed the 6.0 GM and forgot that I'd lose my jailbreak! D'oh!

Back to a jailbroken 5.1.1 for me.

#30 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:28

When I installed 6.0 it told me you can't downgrade. But I'm not sure if they are enforcing that some how or if it's just a message.