data centres? office? garage?

I was just wondering what I should do ... I need to host 1 beast of a machine possibly 2 behind a solid internet connection with high upload ...

I was wondering if anyone knew of any UK companies that would hold on to my server and allow me to use their internet ? like a data center but I bring my own gear...

OR

if anyone knew the prices of any good company's business internet ? (they seem to withhold them)

OR

finally should I just try and rent a small office within offices and just put my server in the middle of the room -___-

From my past experience I would highly recommend giving Opal Telecom a call. They're part of TalkTalk and have several datacentres that allow co-location. Don't listen to the scaremongering stories on Google, the service I had from them is top-notch. I had 2 x 1U plus switch co-located at a datacentre in Newbury, Berkshire for a reasonable sum. Up-time was 99.99% over a 2 year period, connection to 2 power grids and 3 different lines in of which all were gig speeds. I can't name the clients but a large credit referencing company had their entire outfit hosted in the same datacentre.

From my past experience I would highly recommend giving Opal Telecom a call. They're part of TalkTalk and have several datacentres that allow co-location. Don't listen to the scaremongering stories on Google, the service I had from them is top-notch. I had 2 x 1U plus switch co-located at a datacentre in Newbury, Berkshire for a reasonable sum. Up-time was 99.99% over a 2 year period, connection to 2 power grids and 3 different lines in of which all were gig speeds. I can't name the clients but a large credit referencing company had their entire outfit hosted in the same datacentre.

do you know any prices ? the most difficult thing about setting something like this up is everyone withholds prices I need some kind of idea I just want a round about price so I know whether or not to pursue this :)

do you know any prices ? the most difficult thing about setting something like this up is everyone withholds prices I need some kind of idea I just want a round about price so I know whether or not to pursue this :)

http://www.real-hosts.co.uk/

used to use them, couldn't fault them. Where abouts are you based? I used them for their Manchester racks. it was about ?40 for a 1u server iirc. however more u's will start to cost more.

You have fairly good upload with your ISP in your sig, maybe a few more of those lines if Co-Location is out of your budget.

with this internet comes restrictions :p im not allowed to host a server (terms and cons)

used to use them, couldn't fault them. Where abouts are you based? I used them for their Manchester racks. it was about ?40 for a 1u server iirc. however more u's will start to cost more.

im up north about to move just above manchester soo possibly just need to find competitive prices

please tell me more? 40 quid a week ? month? what speeds did you get lol :p

btw thank you everyone im looking through all the links and suggestions

ISPs block port 80 for servers... they don't want you doing that.....

I can hook yah up with a good enterprise level one ;-)

ISPs block port 80 for servers... they don't want you doing that.....

I can hook yah up with a good enterprise level one ;-)

I live at a uni :p although that internet is mine I have to follow their housing rules :p it was just easier to say it the way i did :p

If you're in newcastle then there's a few places there that offer online backup and stuff so they're bound to have data-centres, try contacting them and ask? (We had one do a talk at uni, forgot the company he owned, but he said his servers were in newcastle).

I looked at co-lo years ago and decided against it, 1U in red house or something in london with 100Mbps was something like ?100/month!

As you are in the UK...

If you go the colo route try to find somewhere within an hours drive if at all possible.

Don't pay attention to any uptime institute tiers salespeople throw at you, generally they just don't work with co-location data centres.

I've worked in and around colo for about 5 years. In that time I've seen some shockingly bad facilities and some blow your mind amazing ones. Most fall somewhere in between and have their positives and negatives. The amount of connectivity options is usually a good indicator of quality, the more third party carriers the better imo.

Oh, **** gets expensive quickly, unless you will be making money co-lo is a bad idea.

please tell me more? 40 quid a week ? month? what speeds did you get lol :p

btw thank you everyone im looking through all the links and suggestions

that was a month, I cannot for the life of me remember the transfer ammount, it was 100mb/s connection however.

Just drop them an email, he's very friendly.

• 2 months later...

What you want is a colocation.

http://www.c4l.co.uk/colocation

pricing isn't going to be inexpensive for a single server for an individual, I believe it is around 2500 usd pre month for a 48u rack and a 10mb pipe (a set of static IP's included). For a business it isn't that bad for space, monitored temperature and power.