iTunes 11 UI

How do you know ? just because it's faster doesn't mean it's a rewrite, it just means they remade their ****ty UI layer i.e. interface.

How do you know it isn't a full rewrite? Did you look through every line of code? Touch?.

I guess Apple feels iTunes isn't broken... Why rewrite it? Although it's always seemed to be the odd app out, always the one where new UI experiments show up first before they make their way to other parts of OS X.

Yup, that pretty much confirms iTunes 11 is simply iTunes 10 with an update interface. Nice one Apple!

Everything I've seen so far seems to indicate it's the same core with a different UI.

and still no folder monitoring.

How do you know it isn't a full rewrite? Did you look through every line of code? Touch?.

because everything works the same in the back end and even most of the UI is the same. just a new coat of paint, there's no great rewrite here.

Also you where the one who magically declared it was a rewrite, the burden of proof is on you.

You can get these extra options by going "View>View Options". Though they are dependent on the layout, for example: in the "Artist" option you can make the album art smaller.

viewoptions.jpg

Another thing, you can click on the album art in the "LCD" thing to get a the artwork player, also works on the mini player.

Also the new taskbar player got a re-skin for the first time in years.

You can get these extra options by going "View>View Options". Though they are dependent on the layout, for example: in the "Artist" option you can make the album art smaller.

viewoptions.jpg

Another thing, you can click on the album art in the "LCD" thing to get a the artwork player, also works on the mini player.

Also the new taskbar player got a re-skin for the first time in years.

How are you getting to the Artwork Size? I don't get the slider:

279846402.PNG

Shuffle is broken, "By Groupings" and "By Albums" now behave the same as "By Tracks"

Dude seriously, if you're trying to look smart here let me be the first one to break the news: You don't.

Everything points to iTunes 11 being iTunes 10 with an updated interface. From the Preferences window still being non-standard to all the resources being packed in iTunes.rsrc.

Why would Apple need to re-write a piece of software that has tons of devices depending on it? It is not like it was slow or anything drastic. It only had to be improved. And that's what Apple tried to do.

Didn't really think anyone ever used it.

I know! I find coverflow extremely irritating on my iPhone...

Why would Apple need to re-write a piece of software that has tons of devices depending on it? It is not like it was slow or anything drastic. It only had to be improved. And that's what Apple tried to do.

A lot of folks think it would be really awesome if Apple would separate out the "ton of devices that depend on it" into a separate syncing/device management app. It made sense to sync your iPod with iTunes when the iPod was just a music playing device. But does it really make sense to sync and manage a phone with a music playing app? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

A lot of new stuff like the new scroll bars, animations and services have to be hacked into iTunes. Performance really isn't on par with most other apps, animations in general aren't as smooth. When Apple rewrote QuickTime back in 2004-05 you immediately noticed the difference. iTunes, although improved, still feels much like QuickTime did on Mac OS X Panther. On top of that it really doesn't make much sense you have to manage a tablet or a phone with a music player these days. Things changed a lot since the iPod was released.

iTunes 11 is a nice update, but I really don't get why the company refuses to go the extra mile like they did with QuickTime and Final Cut Studio. Apple's really slacking around with many of their software products.

Scrolling down through my apps is definitely faster. It doesn't lag as much loading the icons when I scroll down through the list. I like the redesigned apps section for devices. The install/remove buttons are an improvement over the checkboxes. And again, scrolling down through the list is noticeably smoother than 10.7 and earlier.

I had a problem with the storefront not rendering properly (like it downloaded incompletely). Refreshing it and going to the music section and then back to home hasn't fixed it. Closing iTunes and relaunching it did.

The new store layout isn't bad, though the panel on the right side with the quick links charts, etc is a bit wide. I have to run iTunes maximised on my MacBook now because it's a cluttered mess otherwise. Not a fan of the new UI. It looks a total mess on Snow Leopard. But overall I'll get used to it. The redesigned sections for the most part are an improvement.

Does it still install loads of extra software and services on Windows ?

I was hoping for it to be a lot leaner and compact this time around.

Oh bro, you KNOW that's never gonna happen. Enjoy the new looking bloatware. Same Apple crap.

Oh bro, you KNOW that's never gonna happen. Enjoy the new looking bloatware. Same Apple crap.

Yeah, god damn it. How dare this iTunesHelper service and iPodServices service take 80k of my 16GB of memory. Shiesh Apple.

I laugh when I think back to that time you said you always try to approach Apple with an open mind in a comment on some front page story. Now that was crap.

Is this freezing for anybody else? I get about 2 seconds of use before it freezes on me. It does this on BOTH Windows 8 and OS X on my Mac Pro.

Activity Monitor has the CPU ranging between 0.1 and 0.5%

Yeah, god damn it. How dare this iTunesHelper service and iPodServices service take 80k of my 16GB of memory. Shiesh Apple.

Well, there's no need to curse. However, on my wife's computer (she's the only one running Apple software because of her iPod Touch), the iPodService is taking 1.5 MB, the iTunesHelper, 2 MB, Bonjour Service (yeah, is that for exactly?) 1.1 MB, and the MobileDeviceService 1.6 MB. You're right, compared to the amount of installed RAM (4 GB, not 16 GB), it's not that much, but this is with no Apple software running. She syncs her iPod maybe once a week, but these services are running all the time. Where are you getting the 80 kilobytes, there Shadrack?