iTunes 11 UI

Well, there's no need to curse. However, on my wife's computer (she's the only one running Apple software because of her iPod Touch), the iPodService is taking 1.5 MB, the iTunesHelper, 2 MB, Bonjour Service (yeah, is that for exactly?) 1.1 MB, and the MobileDeviceService 1.6 MB. You're right, compared to the amount of installed RAM (4 GB, not 16 GB), it's not that much, but this is with no Apple software running. She syncs her iPod maybe once a week, but these services are running all the time. Where are you getting the 80 kilobytes, there Shadrack?

I was exaggerating to make a point... with little tact (is obvious now :p).

Bonjour Services are so that there are no networking issues w/s/e between iOS devices, Apple TV, Macs, and PCs. Its like netbios, but I find it is more reliable because Apple implementation of netbios on Mac doesn't always work right. Might be Apple's fault, might be Microsoft's fault for not having netbios documented well enough...who is to say. But if you have 2 of any of those devices, Bonjour Service makes them discoverable to one another across the network. It also means that Apple doesn't need to implement netbios (a microsoft technology) on iOS devices (which wouldn't make sense).

Anyway, I wonder how many people b&m about lousy iTunes performance and have disabled iTunesHelper from running......

Maybe you could use Cameyo to make an all-enclosed/sandboxed executable file? That way those things only pop up and run if you open iTunes...

regarding Cover Flow, it seems i may have been the only person to use it but i found it to be the best interface in iTunes. using cover flow, i could see the cover art of the album i was listening to plus see the track listing at the same time. i'm sorry, folks, but i found that to be very useful. i realize the album art and track listing can still be viewed by using the "Artist" list but i prefer the cover flow interface. oh well, it seems Apple decided since i was the only person to use cover flow, it was no longer needed. ;) i guess i'll have to adjust to the new "expanded View" of iTunes 11.

iTunes 11 looks ugly on Windows, the font rendering is ugly. Glad I can use the Mac version. Also, what's with the new icon?, it's not even the same base as the App Store Icon. The inner ring on the white border is thicker, and the icon itself has a slight gradient and shadow, whereas the App Store icon plain with a slight shadow. :(

regarding Cover Flow, it seems i may have been the only person to use it but i found it to be the best interface in iTunes. using cover flow, i could see the cover art of the album i was listening to plus see the track listing at the same time. i'm sorry, folks, but i found that to be very useful. i realize the album art and track listing can still be viewed by using the "Artist" list but i prefer the cover flow interface. oh well, it seems Apple decided since i was the only person to use cover flow, it was no longer needed. ;) i guess i'll have to adjust to the new "expanded View" of iTunes 11.

Coverflow actually started as a 3rd party app. I'm not sure if Apple bought them out or just ripped the original off... If you are on Mac, I'm sure there will be a 3rd party Coverflow app (as that is what it was originally). For PC? Maybe... I remember liking the separate app more, because I could always leave it open on my desktop while iTunes could be in another desktop or whatever.

You're clueless. Investors don't give two ****s about how iTunes runs.

Lol. If the new iTunes ran like crap, iPhone and iPod sales would run like crap, too. I've heard countless number of people say "I don't buy Apple products because iTunes sucks".

Scrolling through the app list for my iOS devices is still atrociously slow. Would've liked at least a very faint 1px border around the app as it looks pretty silly on Windows 8 while in the background and with no border. The fonts could be a bit smaller, especially for iOS device management:

2012-11-29%2022_25_26-iTunes.png

Otherwise, not a bad release overall. I would prefer they use a snappier GUI toolkit, but I suppose that's the downside of quick and dirty ports. It's not catastrophically slow by any measure though. And about the lack of automatic folder monitoring - I actually prefer having no monitoring. There are some albums in my Music folder that I would prefer to not show up in my iTunes library, which is directly synced to my iOS devices. Also I do like that there is an option to revert the UI to the older iTunes 10 layout.

That ugly dotted selection line is still there in Wondows 8 huh? Wow.

Microsoft can't let go of their early 90s style focus rectangles.

Microsoft can't let go of their early 90s style focus rectangles.

It's more a case of not letting go of legacy code and design. Which seems to be the case with iTunes, as well.

That ugly dotted selection line is still there in Wondows 8 huh? Wow.

Yeah it's annoying. It's not necessary for buttons which have had a specific 'highlighted' style since Windows 95, but you still need those marching ants for checkboxes and things which don't have a separate highlighted state.

There's a tool lying around Neowin to disable those marching ants, but then good luck trying to tab through controls.

Oh and if you thought this was gone in Metro - think again.

Anyways, enough offtopicness :p

I am having problems with it Freezing in Windows 8 when I try to Turn on the ITunes Match Service and Import my Music Library from Apple's ICloud Servers! Is anyone else having the same Problem?

Yeah, god damn it. How dare this iTunesHelper service and iPodServices service take 80k of my 16GB of memory. Shiesh Apple.

They are completely unnecessary and does cause latency in other apps by using a few CPU cycles and being in the queue when they don't need to. Windows vista, 7 and 8 all have the device central that will detect ANY device that's connected and perform the default action, in this case launch iTunes.

t also means that Apple doesn't need to implement netbios (a microsoft technology) on iOS devices (which wouldn't make sense).

Yeah, of course all device makes should make their own network handshaking protocols instead of just using the standard one, that'll be awesome, especially if they're all as chatty as bonjour.

Yes it would make sense. It's called standardization, and if they must have bonjour, implement it as a network service in the network stack, not as a process.

It's more a case of not letting go of legacy code and design. Which seems to be the case with iTunes, as well.

At least it doesn't have Mac OS 9 selection frames. :p

Dude seriously, if you're trying to look smart here let me be the first one to break the news: You don't.

Everything points to iTunes 11 being iTunes 10 with an updated interface. From the Preferences window still being non-standard to all the resources being packed in iTunes.rsrc.

Not everything point's to a re-skin and i'm a person that has made 3 skins and updated them for each version for iTunes for the past 2 years. The .rsrc file is used for mostly all of the OS X applications, Photoshop, Final cut and even Finder itself, this is standard coding procedure for OS X apps and allows the UX designer to easily modify the files for the interface of the program. The preference window is standard looking like should be, it matches system wide for all of the OS X apps, so i don't understand your complaint here. The binary execuatable file has been rewritten somewhat and is what caused the delay to begin with which is included in this WSJ report.

The new iTunes has been delayed a month by engineering issues that required parts to be rebuilt

So you should just leave it alone and enjoy this free piece of software that the people @ Apple worked very hard on to deliver to you.

The preference window isn't standard looking, though. Nowhere else in OS X do you have to press "Okay" to commit the changes, only in iTunes.

Not everything point's to a re-skin and i'm a person that has made 3 skins and updated them for each version for iTunes for the past 2 years. The .rsrc file is used for mostly all of the OS X applications, Photoshop, Final cut and even Finder itself, this is standard coding procedure for OS X apps and allows the UX designer to easily modify the files for the interface of the program. The preference window is standard looking like should be, it matches system wide for all of the OS X apps, so i don't understand your complaint here. The binary execuatable file has been rewritten somewhat and is what caused the delay to begin with which is included in this WSJ report.

So you should just leave it alone and enjoy this free piece of software that the people @ Apple worked very hard on to deliver to you.

We're talking a little deeper "re-skin" than just skinning he app here. Which is why where saying re-wrote the ui, or rather partially re-wrote the ui

We're talking a little deeper "re-skin" than just skinning he app here. Which is why where saying re-wrote the ui, or rather partially re-wrote the ui

Well my experience with 10.7 was fine, it played music, it didn't crash on me ever, and RAM usage wasn't a issue due to having 8 Gb's of it so for those screaming for a complete rewrite from the ground up for a media player is odd when it performs it's core functionality fine.