iTunes 11 UI

itunes interface

• Please log in to reply
519 replies to this topic

#406 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2012 - 21:01

You can get these extra options by going "View>View Options". Though they are dependent on the layout, for example: in the "Artist" option you can make the album art smaller.

Posted Image

Another thing, you can click on the album art in the "LCD" thing to get a the artwork player, also works on the mini player.

Also the new taskbar player got a re-skin for the first time in years.

#407 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 29 November 2012 - 21:10

You can get these extra options by going "View>View Options". Though they are dependent on the layout, for example: in the "Artist" option you can make the album art smaller.

Posted Image

Another thing, you can click on the album art in the "LCD" thing to get a the artwork player, also works on the mini player.

Also the new taskbar player got a re-skin for the first time in years.

How are you getting to the Artwork Size? I don't get the slider:

Posted Image

#408 hobsgrg

hobsgrg

Neowinian Elite

Posted 29 November 2012 - 21:19

How are you getting to the Artwork Size? I don't get the slider:

Posted Image

You can't change the artwork size in album view, but you can in artist view

#409 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 21:22

On the plus side, at least the sidebar icons are in colour again.

#410 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:16

Shuffle is broken, "By Groupings" and "By Albums" now behave the same as "By Tracks"

#411 Pas

Pas

Middle Aged Dude

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:42

bring back Cover Flow!! i can see myself going back to 10.7 soon. :(

#412 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:48

How do you know it isn't a full rewrite? Did you look through every line of code? Touché.

Dude seriously, if you're trying to look smart here let me be the first one to break the news: You don't.

Everything points to iTunes 11 being iTunes 10 with an updated interface. From the Preferences window still being non-standard to all the resources being packed in iTunes.rsrc.

#413 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:49

bring back Cover Flow!! i can see myself going back to 10.7 soon. :(

Didn't really think anyone ever used it.

#414 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:16

Why would Apple need to re-write a piece of software that has tons of devices depending on it? It is not like it was slow or anything drastic. It only had to be improved. And that's what Apple tried to do.

#415 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:18

Didn't really think anyone ever used it.

I know! I find coverflow extremely irritating on my iPhone...

Why would Apple need to re-write a piece of software that has tons of devices depending on it? It is not like it was slow or anything drastic. It only had to be improved. And that's what Apple tried to do.

A lot of folks think it would be really awesome if Apple would separate out the "ton of devices that depend on it" into a separate syncing/device management app. It made sense to sync your iPod with iTunes when the iPod was just a music playing device. But does it really make sense to sync and manage a phone with a music playing app? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

#416 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:51

A lot of new stuff like the new scroll bars, animations and services have to be hacked into iTunes. Performance really isn't on par with most other apps, animations in general aren't as smooth. When Apple rewrote QuickTime back in 2004-05 you immediately noticed the difference. iTunes, although improved, still feels much like QuickTime did on Mac OS X Panther. On top of that it really doesn't make much sense you have to manage a tablet or a phone with a music player these days. Things changed a lot since the iPod was released.

iTunes 11 is a nice update, but I really don't get why the company refuses to go the extra mile like they did with QuickTime and Final Cut Studio. Apple's really slacking around with many of their software products.

#417 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:57

Scrolling down through my apps is definitely faster. It doesn't lag as much loading the icons when I scroll down through the list. I like the redesigned apps section for devices. The install/remove buttons are an improvement over the checkboxes. And again, scrolling down through the list is noticeably smoother than 10.7 and earlier.

I had a problem with the storefront not rendering properly (like it downloaded incompletely). Refreshing it and going to the music section and then back to home hasn't fixed it. Closing iTunes and relaunching it did.

The new store layout isn't bad, though the panel on the right side with the quick links charts, etc is a bit wide. I have to run iTunes maximised on my MacBook now because it's a cluttered mess otherwise. Not a fan of the new UI. It looks a total mess on Snow Leopard. But overall I'll get used to it. The redesigned sections for the most part are an improvement.

#418 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:05

Does it still install loads of extra software and services on Windows ?

I was hoping for it to be a lot leaner and compact this time around.

Oh bro, you KNOW that's never gonna happen. Enjoy the new looking bloatware. Same Apple crap.

#419 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:24

Oh bro, you KNOW that's never gonna happen. Enjoy the new looking bloatware. Same Apple crap.

Yeah, god damn it. How dare this iTunesHelper service and iPodServices service take 80k of my 16GB of memory. Shiesh Apple.

#420 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:30

I laugh when I think back to that time you said you always try to approach Apple with an open mind in a comment on some front page story. Now that was crap.