itunes interface

• Please log in to reply
519 replies to this topic

#466 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:27

Yes that was a smartass response, however it's certainly very clear Apple made many improvements over iTunes 10. They delayed it because they had to rewrite some parts: http://www.imore.com...ineering-issues

I'm sure we'll see your preferance pane fixed in in iTunes 11.1 or similar.

I never claimed Apple didn't made improvements. I'm just saying iTunes is still a Cocoa-Carbon hybrid like it was before, which clearly shows in certain areas. With the interface supposedly being "rewritten/redesigned" many were hoping the company would finally take things all the way, which hasn't happened.

The Preferences window, basically a relic of iTunes' Mac OS 9 past, hasn't been fixed in 11 years. I don't have much hope we'll see it addressed anytime soon either.

#467 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 November 2012 - 16:40

Yeah, of course all device makes should make their own network handshaking protocols instead of just using the standard one, that'll be awesome, especially if they're all as chatty as bonjour.

Yes it would make sense. It's called standardization, and if they must have bonjour, implement it as a network service in the network stack, not as a process.

You would rather it be somewhere more difficult to turn off? It's a service. Very trivial to keep it from running if it bothers you.

#468 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:29

If it was in the network stack it wouldn't need to be turned off, since it would operate at a or efficient level and wouldn't run all the time like regular service. And it should of course be optional in the advanced install.

Besides, they shouldn't use bonjour in the first place, they should just use net bios like all the devices they connect to.

#469 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:41

i cannot appreciate their design at all. i dont like the font, the always grey, the dominant apple logo, the sooo old style shadows under the covers, the tiny control elements.... i dont know. apple design starts to look a little old. but thats maybe just me.

#470 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:01

^ No, it's not just you. I feel the same way too.

#471 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:55

I don't really get why Apple switched to Helvetica for much of the interface. It clashes like crazy with the rest of the OS. I have no issues with the use of drop shadows here. Personally I think it's insane Microsoft got rid of them in Windows 8, especially underneath windows. It makes the desktop way too flat and windows hard to distinguish.

It's kinda funny though how both companies are on two opposite sides of the spectrum though. Apple went overboard with their skeuomorphic design, Microsoft went overboard with removing much of it.

#472 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 December 2012 - 14:16

I don't really get why Apple switched to Helvetica for much of the interface. It clashes like crazy with the rest of the OS. I have no issues with the use of drop shadows here. Personally I think it's insane Microsoft got rid of them in Windows 8, especially underneath windows. It makes the desktop way too flat and windows hard to distinguish.

I don't think it's Helvetica in Windows or do you mean OS X?

Also there are actually drop shadows in Windows 8, but there are ridiculous minimal. I don't have Windows, but the lack of any really noticable shadow seems like a real step backwards. Though is there no theme mods to fix it yet? I'd imagine it's not that difficult to fix.

#473 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 14:21

There's something that's bugging me with the app store section in 11. It only seems to show the previous version info for an app. Take Angry Birds Seasons for example. It just updated to 3.1.0 but on the app page it shows 3.0.0 (and earlier). Usually when there's an app update I like to know what has changed before committing to it. Now I have to fire it up in a web browser to see the info for the current version.

#474 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 01 December 2012 - 14:38

I don't think it's Helvetica in Windows or do you mean OS X?

OS X.

Also there are actually drop shadows in Windows 8, but there are ridiculous minimal. I don't have Windows, but the lack of any really noticable shadow seems like a real step backwards. Though is there no theme mods to fix it yet? I'd imagine it's not that difficult to fix.

In Windows 8 inactive windows don't appear to have a drop shadow at all. But you're right active ones have a very faint drop shadow.

#475 OP nyolc8

nyolc8

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 01 December 2012 - 15:12

Is apple leaving aqua-glass-bubble-style for window control elements....? (close and maximize button)
gsdgsgsd.png

#476 RatherLargeBear

RatherLargeBear

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 01 December 2012 - 15:23

I actually like the new UI. But there is one song in my entire 5000 song library that is for some reason 'greyed out'. It plays just fine.

Posted Image

#477 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 01 December 2012 - 15:35

Is apple leaving aqua-glass-bubble-style for window control elements....? (close and maximize button)
gsdgsgsd.png

I hope not. Those traffic lights are such a cool concept! I don't mind them getting rid of the border around toolbar buttons though.

#478 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 December 2012 - 17:31

i cannot appreciate their design at all. i dont like the font, the always grey, the dominant apple logo, the sooo old style shadows under the covers, the tiny control elements.... i dont know. apple design starts to look a little old. but thats maybe just me.

Trackpads and mice don't require large control elements. I'm sure if Microsoft wasn't trying to make Windows 8 a one-stop shop for both touch and mice, it'd still have smaller control elements as well.

#479 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 December 2012 - 17:50

I actually like the new UI. But there is one song in my entire 5000 song library that is for some reason 'greyed out'. It plays just fine.

Posted Image

I believe that just means it's "unticked". You can check this in song view.

#480 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 December 2012 - 17:56

Is there any way to resize icon size in album section?