Google Chrome Native Client Apps as Metro Tiles.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Google Chrome's Native Client but basically it let's you run full blown applications and games inside of Chrome I think it would be amazing if it was possible to make shortcuts on the Metro start Menu that launched these apps in fullscreen Metro Chrome as if they were just a regular game or application and have a custom icon for each app show the same as it does inside of Chrome. More than likely Google will have to do something for this to work but it would be awesome if someone figured out how to do it right now. Below are a couple examples of Native Client games.

From Dust

So Many Me

Bastion

AirMecha

Why would you want this over just making native Windows apps?

Chrome NaCl runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Support for android is cooking at google. Windows Runtime and Win32 programs are limited to Windows only.

More on-topic, can't chrome pin bookmarks to the start screen like metro IE can? If so, you can just pin a shortcut to the URL of the chrome NaCl app.

It shouldn't be hard to convert native Google chrome apps to a Windows 8 app because Windows 8 supports HTML5/Javascript apps natively. If a developer already has a chrome app, they are in for a treat because they can get their app to easily port to Windows 8 and get in the Windows Store.

Personally, however, I see web apps as being the future. Nothing really can beat the open web in a Utopian society, can it. But we are not there yet. Web apps need to mature more before it can take on Native apps. But let's give credit where it's due. Internet Explorer team has really pushed it by allowing web apps to tap into hardware, such as GPU, to make the experience "fast and fluid". No browsers have done this before IE9, and since then, we are seeing a move to make web apps as good as native app, so in the future, compatibility and platform shouldn't matter.

This is why Microsoft is no longer prioritizing on its propitiatory development language or making its software exclusive to only its platform. Microsoft sees that in the near future, the platform you are on won't matter in terms of compatibility with apps. That's why Microsoft's apps are now more and more cross platform. Microsoft now is rather pushing it's services and user experience. Pretty soon, unlike in the early 2000s, people won't choose a platform based on compatibility, but they will choose a platform based on the ecosystem and user experience.

There you go, that's my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

It shouldn't be hard to convert native Google chrome apps to a Windows 8 app because Windows 8 supports HTML5/Javascript apps natively. If a developer already has a chrome app, they are in for a treat because they can get their app to easily port to Windows 8 and get in the Windows Store.

Personally, however, I see web apps as being the future. Nothing really can beat the open web in a Utopian society, can it. But we are not there yet. Web apps need to mature more before it can take on Native apps. But let's give credit where it's due. Internet Explorer team has really pushed it by allowing web apps to tap into hardware, such as GPU, to make the experience "fast and fluid". No browsers have done this before IE9, and since then, we are seeing a move to make web apps as good as native app, so in the future, compatibility and platform shouldn't matter.

This is why Microsoft is no longer prioritizing on its propitiatory development language or making its software exclusive to only its platform. Microsoft sees that in the near future, the platform you are on won't matter in terms of compatibility with apps. That's why Microsoft's apps are now more and more cross platform. Microsoft now is rather pushing it's services and user experience. Pretty soon, unlike in the early 2000s, people won't choose a platform based on compatibility, but they will choose a platform based on the ecosystem and user experience.

There you go, that's my two cents.

Natvie Client apps aren't written in HTML5 or Javascript but rather C++ or many other compiled languages the advantage of running them in Chrome is that they aren't Operating system dependant they run on Windows, Linux, and Mac and also in the future on other hardware architectures like ARM in addition to x86/64.

Obviously they can make them run natively on Windows and most will but just another opportunity to make apps more cross platform. More info can be found here https://developers.g.../native-client/

On the pinning you can pin websites but I just mean basically instead of opening it like a Metro Chrome Window open it in a full screen frameless window and also have a proper metro style icon possibly with live tile animation to go with that. I wouldn't imagine that would be too hard to do.

On the pinning you can pin websites but I just mean basically instead of opening it like a Metro Chrome Window open it in a full screen frameless window and also have a proper metro style icon possibly with live tile animation to go with that. I wouldn't imagine that would be too hard to do.

No.

No.

What do you mean No? I know it's not possible for an end user to do (unless there is a way to make a shortcut with command line options to do this) But I'm sure that it would be simple for the Google Chrome developers to do it.

What do you mean No? I know it's not possible for an end user to do (unless there is a way to make a shortcut with command line options to do this) But I'm sure that it would be simple for the Google Chrome developers to do it.

No as in that the limitations my MS make this impossible. Have a nice day.

No as in that the limitations my MS make this impossible. Have a nice day.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Google's Chome browser can pin "secondary tiles" to Start just like IE (and other apps like People, Weather, Stocks, etc). When you click on the tile it can launch their browser to that specific web page/app.

So Google is trying to push their apps on Windows 8. Interesting. Guess what IE9 does that on Win7.
Umm did you even read this thread? Google has said nothing about Chrome apps and Windows 8 specifically this is just a thread with a simple question about making shortcuts to native client apps that has a cool metro icon and launches straight to Metro Chrome full screen.

Anyways I still have yet to hear an explanation from the guy that said it's not possible. I know that you can make shortcuts with custom icons and that Chrome accepts command line options in shortcuts so maybe their are some command line options that would force a shortcut to an app to open up in metro chrome full screen. Anyone know more about this?

Why would you want this over just making native Windows apps?

Because it's better than supporting Microsoft's attempt to monopolise the Windows software ecosystem market with WinRT apps. Even Android allows you to use alternative app stores, yet Microsoft has complete control over the WinRT market and takes a cut of all apps sold. It seems that Microsoft has learnt nothing from the previous antitrust investigations against them.

The Windows Store is stifling innovation, whereas the Chrome Store is not. If Microsoft wanted to do make a closed ecosystem for a separate tablet OS then that's one thing; trying to force it upon existing Windows users is another (force being a relative term, as although they can't force you to upgrade it becomes difficult to buy a system without it).

Honestly I think the ARM version of Win8 will fail epically but this thread doesn't have anything to do with that as much as just wanting an easy way to use Native Client apps more easily.

Because it's better than supporting Microsoft's attempt to monopolise the Windows software ecosystem market with WinRT apps. Even Android allows you to use alternative app stores, yet Microsoft has complete control over the WinRT market and takes a cut of all apps sold. It seems that Microsoft has learnt nothing from the previous antitrust investigations against them.

The Windows Store is stifling innovation, whereas the Chrome Store is not. If Microsoft wanted to do make a closed ecosystem for a separate tablet OS then that's one thing; trying to force it upon existing Windows users is another (force being a relative term, as although they can't force you to upgrade it becomes difficult to buy a system without it).

You can install desktop apps from anywhere you like. Developers and enterprises can side-load Windows 8 apps. Nobody makes money on app stores, the 20-30% cut keeps the store operating and covers credit card fees. Are you really arguing that developers were better off before app stores came around? That they'd make more money without it? I don't think you've been following the software industry :-)

The Store is a boon for developers and users. For developers it lets them easily get their apps into the hands of users (with just one click), manages transactions, and simplifies the update process. For users it gives them an easy way to discover tons of great apps, while hugely increasing their confidence that they won't/can't hose their system (and thus their willingness to install things to try them out).

As far as competition, the Android devices I've used only allowed app installations from one place (unless rooted/jail broken/dev unlocked). The same is certainly true for all iOS devices. Yet on Windows 8 you still have complete access to the same desktop environment and installation sources/mechanisms you did in Windows 7. I really don't understand the complaint.

You can install desktop apps from anywhere you like. Developers and enterprises can side-load Windows 8 apps. Nobody makes money on app stores, the 20-30% cut keeps the store operating and covers credit card fees. Are you really arguing that developers were better off before app stores came around? That they'd make more money without it? I don't think you've been following the software industry :-)

The Store is a boon for developers and users. For developers it lets them easily get their apps into the hands of users (with just one click), manages transactions, and simplifies the update process. For users it gives them an easy way to discover tons of great apps, while hugely increasing their confidence that they won't/can't hose their system (and thus their willingness to install things to try them out).

As far as competition, the Android devices I've used only allowed app installations from one place (unless rooted/jail broken/dev unlocked). The same is certainly true for all iOS devices. Yet on Windows 8 you still have complete access to the same desktop environment and installation sources/mechanisms you did in Windows 7. I really don't understand the complaint.

Not to disagree but unless you had a kindle or a nook 99% of Android devices out of box you can just check the little box that says allow installing applications from unknown sources and install an apk from any place you like. There are certain applications that require root access in order to work properly but that's because most of the things you need root for an average consumer wouldn't need or want to do. That being said you can install the Amazon App store and what used to be the GetJar app store as well as several others to your device without being rooted.