Photo

Half-Life 3 Rumored to Have RPG, Open World Elements

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:50

It sounds like Half-Life 3 may be more like Rage this time, only more interactive than id Software's latest post-apocalyptic open-world shooter.

Half-Life 3 is back on the rumor mill again, conveniently one day after Valve's hardware division spoke with Engadget about its 2013 plans. An unnamed source has reportedly spilled details regarding the mysterious Half-Life sequel, confirming that the game is indeed in development (duh), but there's a lot that still needs to be done.

Breaking away from the rumor for just a moment, there's a good chance Valve is working on Source 2 in conjunction with Half-Life 3 much like id Software did with Rage and id Tech 5. The original Source engine made its debut back in June 2004 with the launch of Counter-Strike: Source and shortly thereafter Half-Life 2. Thus, it's easy to assume Source 2 and Half-Life 3 will be connected and launched simultaneously.

Building on that, on a business level, it's probably time to update both the engine and Valve's flagship franchise, especially with Epic taking up all the licensing opportunities with its commercial-friendly Unreal Engine.

This Source 2 concept seemingly backs up the remainder of the current rumor which claims Half-Life 3 will be open-world with many RPG elements. The team has reportedly been so inspired by Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series that they want NPCs and "quests". This will likely be similar to Rage, staying true to its FPS roots while dishing out missions in a vast environment.

Now here's something else to think about: the release date. Sources claim that the game won't make an appearance until after 2013. Bummer we know, but we're betting Source 2 / Half-Life 3 will be next-generation console friendly. The 2013 marker also indicates that Valve's hardware ambitions may be tied into the project, as the first beta is expected to launch sometime next year.

Remember, this is all speculation and rumor save for the possible beta of Valve's first hardware attempt next year. But this latest rumor does make sense given that today's technology allows the Half-Life universe to be even more immersive than it was back in 2004.

http://www.tomshardw...-NPC,17751.html

#2 Roadrunna

Roadrunna

Vodka Master - Black Belt

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:50

Sounds interesting but please don't use Rage as an inspiration. It wasn't bad but it wasn't really open-world.

#3 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:54

Sounds kind of dumb but I'm still optimistic. HL just doesn't seem like the questing type of game. :s

Oh, and Rage was a steaming pile of ****. I hope Valve has been paying attention.

#4 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:56

I hope nothing leaks before the game's release date.

#5 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:59

Meh, this doesn't sound too good. I was hoping for gameplay similar to the original Half-Life. :/

#6 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:01

Rumor from yesterday. Will never happen. Doesn't fit Valve's profile and the series. Please let this die.

#7 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:02

RPG elements? Come on stick to the games original path...

#8 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:03

Half-Life 3 is a lie.....(see what I did there? :laugh:)

#9 deactivated_

deactivated_

Deactivated_

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:05

Please don't make the Half-Life series into a MMORPG.

#10 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:09

Well considering the wild success of WOW, it's more likely to become a MMORPG since that is where the money is. I never got into the whole MMO[insert genre] fad in general but everything seems to be going down that path, even Elder Scrolls is (but thankfully seems to be more a spin off then actually sequel). Wait and see I guess. Been waiting for so long now, past the point of caring :p when we get concrete info on a possible release and details on what we are likely to get, concrete not rumours, I'll get excited for it again!

#11 deactivated_

deactivated_

Deactivated_

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:11

Well considering the wild success of WOW, it's more likely to become a MMORPG since that is where the money is. I never got into the whole MMO[insert genre] fad in general but everything seems to be going down that path, even Elder Scrolls is (but thankfully seems to be more a spin off then actually sequel). Wait and see I guess. Been waiting for so long now, past the point of caring :p when we get concrete info on a possible release and details on what we are likely to get, concrete not rumours, I'll get excited for it again!

Yeah, I'm sure that's where the money is, but I can guarantee *my* money won't be there if it's an MMO-type game.

#12 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:24

more like Half-Life 3 is rumored to exist.

#13 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:28

I quite like the quiet quest parts from Episode 2. (Searching for radars in stashes) Although these were entirely linear, it was a nice change of pace.

The pacing is the one thing that is perfect in HL. They understand that FPS fatigue sets in and maybe any RPG elements would now allow for these changes to be at the player's discresion. (Rather than the linear method at the moment).

#14 OP Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:36

Open world & RPG != MMORPG

For example:

Sacred 2 is an open world rpg, and is not an MMORPG!

#15 deactivated_

deactivated_

Deactivated_

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:41

Open world & RPG != MMORPG

For example:

Sacred 2 is an open world rpg, and is not an MMORPG!

Did I say Open World & RPG = MMORPG? No. I just said "Please don't make the Half-Life series into a MMORPG." It would be an injustice to the Half-Life series if it were to be made into a MMO game. That is all.