Photo

Half-Life 3 Rumored to Have RPG, Open World Elements

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:51

Did I say Open World & RPG = MMORPG? No. I just said "Please don't make the Half-Life series into a MMORPG." It would be an injustice to the Half-Life series if it were to be made into a MMO game. That is all.

With that logic, I need to add, please don't make HL3 into a cartoon-kart based racing game.

#17 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:54

That sucks! I want a game that plays similar to HL2! Atleast BMS is really good...

Also, Rage did not suck. It was very good after all the graphics issues were fixed.

#18 devBrian

devBrian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 September 2012 - 13:01

Did I say Open World & RPG = MMORPG? No. I just said "Please don't make the Half-Life series into a MMORPG." It would be an injustice to the Half-Life series if it were to be made into a MMO game. That is all.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? Nobody said anything about making it into an MMO, ever, at any time. I hope they don't turn it into an arcade shoot-em-up, too... wtf?

#19 deactivated_

deactivated_

Deactivated_

Posted 21 September 2012 - 13:20

With that logic, I need to add, please don't make HL3 into a cartoon-kart based racing game.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? Nobody said anything about making it into an MMO, ever, at any time. I hope they don't turn it into an arcade shoot-em-up, too... wtf?

And I hope no one would berate you for having your opinion. However, it appears I am not allowed to express mine.

#20 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

Posted 21 September 2012 - 14:38

Please don't make the Half-Life series into a MMORPG.

Agreed.

#21 Kirkburn

Kirkburn

Mmm, delicious sanity.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 14:43

Sounds odd - Valve are well known for experimenting, but at the same time, those experiments have to work really well for them to release them. It's quite possible they are testing a huge range of concepts internally.

And I hope no one would berate you for having your opinion. However, it appears I am not allowed to express mine.

The issue was, it seemed to be a completely random insert into the topic. No-one had suggested HL2 might be an MMO.

#22 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 September 2012 - 14:48

Whilst I'm not going to jump to assumptions until I see some tangible evidence, in my mind Half-Life always has been an FPS series, and it should end as an FPS series.

#23 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 September 2012 - 15:08

This is quite disappointing. But one thing doesnt makes sense...if they are inspired by rage that means all the work valve did before will be put to waste? Or partly at least.

#24 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 21 September 2012 - 15:42

Reliable source? HAH.

Where did they get this "news" from, a random post on /v/?

I also have a reliable source that Valve are going to buy Microsoft and open-source Windows.

Honestly, is anyone really dumb enough to believe that Valve are going to take a series lauded for it's extremely high quality linear story-driven gameplay, and turn it into some sort of mutant crossbreed of Half-Life and RAGE, a game that failed?

#25 OP Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:20

Honestly, is anyone really dumb enough to believe that Valve are going to take a series lauded for it's extremely high quality linear story-driven gameplay, and turn it into some sort of mutant crossbreed of Half-Life and RAGE, a game that failed?

RAGE may have failed, but Borderlands didn't!

#26 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:33

This just in: Gordon Freeman slips through a time warp and lands in post-apocalyptic USA, with nothing but bandits, go-karts, headcrabs, and John Goodman. When looking upon a shoddy map tacked to the popped-in bulletin board of the nearest rundown shanty of a town, Gordon's hopelessness slowly turns to optimism. But alas, as soon as Mr. Freeman buggies up and begins to explore the new world, he is cut off by invisible walls and forced to remain on the same linear path. Disappointed but committed (as always), Gordon continues his mission and returns home. Back in "town", he sells his leftover junk (found by searching the corpses of the same bandits he has killed 347383784 times before) and speaks to Mr. Goodman, hoping he will provide him with at least one challenging quest to give his existence purpose. Will it be more bandits? Only time will tell...

#27 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:37

RAGE may have failed, but Borderlands didn't!

Social games have been quite popular too, maybe you'll have to poke 10 people on Facebook to get a kill in Social-Life 3!

Dota 2 has the largest cabal at Valve currently, maybe that means DotHL3 will be a ARTS/MOBA!!!

:rolleyes: