Photo

Where will smartphones be in five years time?

smartphones

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 p1p3

p1p3

Out of print

Posted 24 September 2012 - 00:56

I'm hoping for large improvement in speech recognition and natural language processing. Getting rid of the keyboard once and for all would increase productivity on the go. Coupled with discreet eye displays and more natural speech synthesis could change the way we interact with smart devices.
Add to this electronics that need less power and faster reliable internet connections and we can move a lot of data processing into the cloud to increase battery life.

#32 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:12

I'm hoping for large improvement in speech recognition and natural language processing.

Considering that Dragon NaturallySpeaking has been going for over 15yrs and progress has been slow-at-best I think that's overly optimistic. That's without even taking into account the awkwardness of talking to yourself in public, as well as the obvious lack of privacy such a system entails. I'm sure it will continue to improve but I'm not sure we'll see it become the primary input method for core functionality, not without massive breakthroughs in artificial intelligence.

#33 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:24

I'm hoping for a device that allow me to make calls, send texts and reply emails in a simple way... I think that's to ask too much.

#34 p1p3

p1p3

Out of print

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:29

Considering that Dragon NaturallySpeaking has been going for over 15yrs and progress has been slow-at-best I think that's overly optimistic. That's without even taking into account the awkwardness of talking to yourself in public, as well as the obvious lack of privacy such a system entails. I'm sure it will continue to improve but I'm not sure we'll see it become the primary input method for core functionality, not without massive breakthroughs in artificial intelligence.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking is primarily focused on dictating. I think the key here is natural language processing in the cloud utilizing large databases that are shared among all users. Just look at how far we have already gotten. Apple and Google both have working but somewhat crude systems available. Wolfram Alpha works most of the time and we recently had a computer from IBM compete in and win a game of Jeopardy.
The problem with speaking in public will disappear once the technology is working and people get used to it. Nobody thinks it awkward to hold a normal phone conversation in public, once the technology has matured enough the difference will hopefully be minimal.

Unfortunately I'm afraid you are right and we wont have this level of sophistication in five years... one can always dream.

#35 vetTHolman

THolman

Mystery Tramp

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:32

I agree about the plateau, I can't even really see how the next gen can improve, let alone in two or three gens time. I think we're a VERY long way off embedded devices (under skin, etc), looking at way over 10 years unless something radical happens with battery technology soon.

I know this is a bit off topic, but you know, I find it disturbing that we're even talking about 'embedded devices,' let alone like it's a bad thing that we don't all have them :wacko:

As far as 'glasses' technology goes, I think it's totally ridiculous. Maybe something will change my mind on that, and I'll sound silly for saying this, but I put that kind of tech on about the same level as '3D.'

#36 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:33

The super long iphone and huge android jokes are getting stale.

Now I do not see that big of changes lately. Little things like better batteries by then so phones will be a bit lighter. Better screens will be more common in even low end phones. I see the 3D phase is already gone (thankfully). In five years I see iOS and Android going through a big revision on each side. I think there will be a standard for wireless bill paying here in the USA. I know they have had it in other places for a while...HK has had this for over 10 years now on their phones.

What I like to know is what the CARRIERS will be doing in 5 years.!!

#37 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:47

I do wonder if flexible screen technology will be advanced enough for usage in 5 years. If so then I could see as theyarecomingforyou mentioned, some kind of flip/slide/fold phone that can double up as a tablet or something.

Yea, I've not heard anything else about it, I was looking forward to that

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

I have a feeling this is going to come to light sooner than later and that the recent abrupt killing of Moto's Webtop software is related. If Google release support for this in the next Android, that will potentially see a huge shake up. They may offer only ChromeOS officially (with Ubuntu as a 3rd party replacement) - considering the rumours that ChromeOS & Android are merging and ChromeOS is getting ARM support I wouldn't be too surprised.

#38 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:20

I'm hoping for a device that allow me to make calls, send texts and reply emails in a simple way... I think that's to ask too much.

All hope is lost for you.

#39 UKDarkJedi

UKDarkJedi

Neowinian

Posted 24 September 2012 - 23:26

I know this is a bit off topic, but you know, I find it disturbing that we're even talking about 'embedded devices,' let alone like it's a bad thing that we don't all have them :wacko:

As far as 'glasses' technology goes, I think it's totally ridiculous. Maybe something will change my mind on that, and I'll sound silly for saying this, but I put that kind of tech on about the same level as '3D.'

It might be off topic but it's a good discussion point. I can still remember the time before touchscreen with all too much blistered thumb clarity, and that was just over 5 years ago really. I think definitely in the next five years we'll be seeing more "wearable" devices, and maybe not embedded as such but it will be a much more personal experience. And then a few more years down the line true embedded, maybe in the early 2020's, think the EyePhone futurama episode lol.

#40 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:51

Posted Image

#41 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:58

Apple will be run to the ground in 5 years and if they aren't, their phones will be 3 years behind in technology.

Just got an iPhone 5 having used a Galaxy S3 since May, and before that, a Galaxy S2.

The iPhone 5 is a lot faster and smoother, and better for my needs. I still love Android but the iPhone experience is much smoother.

I used to say that the iPhone was behind as well, but having used one now, I have to say that's not true.

#42 Sulphy

Sulphy

Sulphurious

• Phone: Android - HTC ONE M8

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:19

Nokia Morph seems interesting! - http://research.nokia.com/morph

#43 iwod

iwod

Neowinian

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:12

I dont think there will be any significant difference. LTE Advance may be available. SoC performance ( CPU and GPU ) will basically be limited by transistor count and power usage. i.e pretty much limited by processing node. We should be 10nm by then. iPhone 5 screen according to technical analysis is already the best out there in terms of consumer devices. OLED will be great but unless they can get in cell OLED and life expectancy improved 5 year may be too early for it. Corning will properly have a even thinner, tougher, and more transparent glass by then. Camera will see improvement with 2nd Gen BSI, I am not sure what else can be done if we are still limited to such thin and small sensors. Most of it will come from a lot better and efficient DSP from software side. But in terms of optics i dont think there is much that can be done. Better Lens would have properly cost too much. A Bigger Sensor could easily solve some of the problems but it would be hard smart phone are getting thinner.

Most of these are major technical breakthrough for what it has improved and achieve within the power / space budget. But we properly just cross or close to the line of whether these are noticeable.

The biggest improvement in 5 years time would properly comes from battery tech.

#44 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:22

Posted Image

I was thinking along those lines too, but more like this Seiko from Final Fantasy: Spirits Within:

final_fantasy_wrist1.jpg

FFwristholo.jpg

I seriously doubt we'll see tech anywhere near that in 5 years...maybe 15 or 20 years from now (if ever). Can only hope :happy: and yes, that is technically a watch not a phone..but still cool and could be used as a phone anyway.

#45 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:28

If we weren't all such "spec monkeys" and wanting to show off our devices, I think we'd move towards an ubiquitous invisible computer device. Something that we wear akin to a watch or keep "nearby". Maybe use the device when we're out and about, but when we get home it detects our keyboard/display/etc and utilises that.