Photo

Can I Add a Hard Drive To The Xbox 360 4GB Model?

xbox hard drive

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 24 September 2012 - 17:36

I was thinking about getting an Xbox 360 but I didn't want to spend so much on it. I have a $50.00 gift certificate from CompUSA and they currently have the Xbox 360 for $199.00 ($148.00 once they apply the gift card)

I know that model doesn't come with a hard drive. The question is: Can I add a hard drive to it? If so, which brand or kind? And is it something I can do myself without having to open the Xbox up? (is there a slot for it?)

Thanks ahead for your help.

#2 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 24 September 2012 - 17:38

http://support.xbox....move-hard-drive

#3 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 24 September 2012 - 17:41

http://support.xbox....move-hard-drive

Thanks for that, but it doesn't tell me if I can use any hard drive or not. Does it have to be the Microsoft hard drive? Or can I purchase a hard drive and use it instead?

#4 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 September 2012 - 17:41

Yes, there's a slot for it.

You can either buy an official MS hard drive or flash a 2.5" Western Digital HDD using a tool such as HDDHackr.

#5 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 24 September 2012 - 17:43

Yes, you can. I have done the same to my Xbox 360 S 4GB. I added a Microsoft 360 250GB HDD. Just make sure you get the "right" hard drive (has to be compatible for Xbox 360 SLIM), as stores might sell hard drives for the older versions of the Xbox 360.

Incorrect model: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000OYKQBU
Correct model: http://www.amazon.co...50GB Hard drive

#6 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 24 September 2012 - 17:46

Yes, there's a slot for it.

You can either buy an official MS hard drive or flash a 2.5" Western Digital HDD using a tool such as HDDHackr.

It seems their official page is gone :blush:

http://i.imgbox.com/adegA9cx.jpg

#7 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:49

I also wouldn't recommend doing the modded hard drive route.

It's very much frowned upon since it violates the Terms of Use. If for some reason you ever need to send the console in for service it would also invalidate any existing service contract if noted that a non-MS hare drive is inside. It would also result in the console being returned un-repaired, along with that console being flagged to deny any future repair services.

Just a fair warning from someone who helped shape some of the policy documentation for this scenario...

Personally I hope the PS3 route is taken for hard drives next time around. I can understand the reasons why they haven't yet, but hope they do next time around.

#8 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:01

I have a 4gb slim. I bought a 20gig HDD from my local game store for like $15, a case off of amazon for like $2, and have a 20gig 360 now.

#9 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:12

OK so let me get this straight. I don't have to use the Microsoft internal HD?

I can just use an external USB HD and it will work?

#10 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:20

You can do it
But getting the official drive separately almost always ends up being more expensive,
and hacking it although possible I wouldn't recommend, as mentioned it will invalidate the warranty, and its not guaranteed to work....there is a small and specific list of compatible HDD's so make sure you get the right one, and even then depending on the Sata chipset on your motherboard it may or may not work.

details here, though for some reason I can't get onto the HDDhackr website...

#11 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:51

No but what I'm saying is, the Xbox has a USB port. If I use an external USB HDD, will it work without having to hack it? In other words, will the Xbox be able to use that external HDD just like the internal Microsoft original?

#12 instaGeorge

instaGeorge

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Note

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:52

Also, keep in mind the USB drives still aren't supported by some games (looking at you Dice).

Some games that have expansion packs with HD content will read USB drives as flash memory not a true HDD. Reason being is that they claim the system can't read HD content over USB fast enough.

#13 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:57

No but what I'm saying is, the Xbox has a USB port. If I use an external USB HDD, will it work without having to hack it? In other words, will the Xbox be able to use that external HDD just like the internal Microsoft original?

Sorry never saw that message, must have already been replying...No you can't do it with External USB HDD's
Well you kinda can but the max size the xbox supports is 16GB so you'd have to partition it into lots of 16GB Fat32 drives and store stuff separately.

also in answer to part of your original post yes there is a slot on the base and its very easy to open.....its just as my post said you either have to buy the official HDD one or hack one.

#14 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 24 September 2012 - 21:16

Personally I would hack a western digital hard drive to use in your Xbox 360. I did it three years ago with a 250gb SATA hard drive and its been a great upgrade from my 20gb drive. At the time it was £90 for a 120gb drive from Microsoft, i hacked a 250gb one for £30... go do the maths!

See: How to hack a 250gb or 320gb sata drive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

I also wouldn't recommend doing the modded hard drive route.

It's very much frowned upon since it violates the Terms of Use. If for some reason you ever need to send the console in for service it would also invalidate any existing service contract if noted that a non-MS hare drive is inside. It would also result in the console being returned un-repaired, along with that console being flagged to deny any future repair services.

Just a fair warning from someone who helped shape some of the policy documentation for this scenario...

Considering Microsoft ask you to remove the hard drive and memory units before sending the console back i fail to see how that will be an issue?

#15 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 September 2012 - 21:20

Personally I would hack a western digital hard drive to use in your Xbox 360. I did it three years ago with a 250gb SATA hard drive and its been a great upgrade from my 20gb drive. At the time it was £90 for a 120gb drive from Microsoft, i hacked a 250gb one for £30... go do the maths!

See: How to hack a 250gb or 320gb sata drive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Considering Microsoft ask you to remove the hard drive and memory units before sending the console back i fail to see how that will be an issue?

You would be surprised at how many people ignore that and send the drives in regardless. There are also sometimes issues where the customer is asked to ship the HDD with the console in order to perform testing on it (if it seems to be an issue related to storage).

The best way to avoid an issue? Don't put yourself into a situation where an issue can occur. :)