Can I run Windows Server 2012 with MSE 4.0?

Question

Hi guys, I am wondering if I can run Windows Server 2012 with MSE 4.0? I used to install MSE with Server 2008 R2 and it was working even if it is not offically supported.

Note: I am open to any suggestions, but please not clamAV since I it does't have a real-time scanner.

Kindly advise me.

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Hi guys, I am wondering if I can run Windows Server 2012 with MSE 4.0? I used to install MSE with Server 2008 R2 and it was working even if it is not offically supported.

Note: I am open to any suggestions, but please not clamAV since I it does't have a real-time scanner.

Kindly advise me.

Thanks.

I have it working in a VM, so it's definitely possible.

just like windows 8 windows server 2012 runs Windows defender that is the new MSE and it is built in but can i ask why ya need Server OS and not just run windows 8 itself

I have it threw DreamSpark and I dont want to buy an AV for it.

I have it threw DreamSpark and I dont want to buy an AV for it.

you dont need to buy an AV for it as it is buiolt in and besides that ther is many good free AVs out there that do the job well

I registered only to say that I believe that what notuptome2004 said is not true. Although Windows 8 has Windows Defender with AV capabilities built in, Server 2012 does not have it!

You *must* insatll another AV or else you won't have any AV software at all.

There is another product from Microsoft which is very similar to MSE and can be installed on Server 2012. It's called System Center Endpoint Protection. You can download it from microsoft as a part of the whole System Center.

I wrote a blog post explaining how to download and install it separately. Didn't want to be like these spammers who register only to post their links so if you want me to post it just ask.