Photo

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 FightAndLive

FightAndLive

Neowinian

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:57

moving on to the next language

Why are you moving on to another language? Especially since half of those you mentioned aren't going to help you at all in Kernel development. Stick with ONE maybe two languages at most, become a pro in the syntax, than become a pro in logic. Once you accomplish those two things going to another language is extremely easy.

Listen it looks like your changing some of your points to match what you think we want to hear...we don't care what you do lol. Just take it from someone who's heard the "I'm an awesome guy I can pick up programming by reading all this random crap without applying it anything" over and over again. If your already preficiant in syntax now do something practical. Put down the books, get your ass off of google and download UDK. Now I personally dislike Unreal for a lot of reasons, but my dislikes are mostly on the licensee end doing stuff you won't care enough to do.

Why would I be telling you to make a game when you don't have any goals related to game development?

When teaching programming I find its easier to get someone going when they say can come up with a project, and set milestones/goals for how to get it done. When you start coding each goal you will realize you have no idea whats your doing. So than you do research and you learn how to teach yourself, and you can see on the screen each goal getting accomplished. This teaches logic because your teaching youself.

To whoever mentioned going to college for a computer science degree, if you do pursue this one route there is one reason why I and other employers won't hire new college graduates...they can't figure **** out for themselves. Colleges spoon feed everything to you, and you don't understand how to get your ass on google and search around to figure out whatever it is your doing. This is why I strongly recommend doing the above, once you complete two or three projects with this method I promise you, you will be decently profient in programming. From there you can apprieciate what you want to do now and if its worth it.

#32 OP Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:10

I have my reasons.

#33 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:56

So answer me these questions. What do you want to write for the Kernel? What are your outcome?

#34 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:31

Everyone when they first start programming usually ask ambisous questions like this

I didn't. I wrote a "hello world", then moved on, through books (as there was not web resource for me back then) to connecting to a local database, to distributing on floppy. I had no lofty goals - I knew what I wanted to do, set myself landmarks to achieve and did.

#35 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:03

Also, OP... You say you want to write a custom OS by programming with the kernel...

Then when you talk about a custom OS you mention Longhorn (in context of its look and feel).

Please detail what you believe you mean by "custom OS"...

#36 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 28 September 2012 - 18:59

As far as learning the language and some basic computer science goes, then K&R's The C Programming Language Second Edition is the bible. You don't have to read the entire book from front to back, but it's an excellent primer if you do. I use it as a reference regularly. In addition to linux man pages and web information of course.

If contributing to the Linux kernel project is your aspiration or desire, then it's easy enough to start submitting small patches to fix bugs, then build up to larger things. I'd recommend taking a look at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/ and see if there's anything you're interested in doing there.