squirrel hunting shooting

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,529 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:12

Squirrel season is in here in Kentucky and I'm using my Harrington and Richardson 12 gauge to bag them. It will shoot 3" magnum shells but for squirrel I just use standard shells so there's still something left to eat after shooting them. Today I was surprised by how much knockdown a 12 gauge has at distance and recorded this video. There was no blood trail, the squirrel didn't crawl that far, he was knocked back about 15 feet from where I shot him. Just thought I'd share. For those of you concerned about animal rights, I do EAT the squirrels I kill.

#2 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,066 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:15

I didn't realise eating squirrel was a regular thing.

#3 OP Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,529 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:20

I like them, it tastes pretty good. They're pretty easy to hunt, especially in this area because not a lot of people hunt any more so they're absolutely everywhere. Some people use them to make a gravy, or make dumplings out of them, or you can even fry them. I like squirrel hunting because it gets me out in nature which I enjoy, and I get to eat what I kill which saves me money on meat at the grocery store. I guess it really depends on where you live though.

#4 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,679 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:49

Before the days of mass cattle drives and the wide availability of beef squirrel was a major source of meat in the US, which is why most every man owned a "squirrel rifle" like the Kentucky and Pennsylvania variants. Sadly for the English troops during the Revolutionary War these weapons were deadly accurate at ranges far longer than their muskets could shoot, making them excellent standoff or sniped rifle for the Colonials. I have 2, one a .32 and one a .36 and they're great fun to shoot.

We still hunt squirrel as theylre a tough shot and great eating (especially in stews, soups etc.) but I use use either a .410 or 28 guage shotgun or a tuned up Ruger 10/22 .22 rifle. Less shot to pick out with the shotguns and head shot accuracy with the Ruger.

#5 Ph1b3r0pt1c

Ph1b3r0pt1c

Neowinian

• 441 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 13:14

Yeah, I use my trusty 10/22 also. I've killed around 30 this year alone. Gerowen: Where are you in Kentucky? I am 2 miles south of Henderson, almost to a little town named Dixon.

#6 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,289 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 30 September 2012 - 13:15

Yup i'll testify, Squirrel is delicious!

Dunno if there is a major difference in the Squirrel between the UK and the US (I thought our greys came from the US in the first place?) but over here i normally dispatch of them with a decent air rifle, what you're packing seems a bit overkill (and pricey per unit) but if it works for ya meh.

#7 Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

• 1,058 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 13:24

Are squirrels considered pests in your part of the world?

#8 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 13:46

Youtube must be down. Can't watch the vid. A 12 gauge is a bit overkill in my opinion also. I also use my Ruger 10/22.

#9 OP Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,529 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 17:24

Yeah, I use my trusty 10/22 also. I've killed around 30 this year alone. Gerowen: Where are you in Kentucky? I am 2 miles south of Henderson, almost to a little town named Dixon.

I'm from Magoffin County, over in eastern KY. The nearest town to me is Salyersville. My wife is from that end of the state though. She grew up in Providence, and went to high school at Webster County High in Dixon.

12 gauge is what I got, I've thought about getting a smaller gauge, but I haven't had any huge issues with damage to the animal except for one that caught me by surprise that I shot from about 10 feet away, and the only other option was my backup sidearm which is .40 and would have probably blown it in half at that distance. Even that one was in perfectly edible condition, just a bit bloody. That's why I use #4 shot, to avoid peppering it to pieces with too much buckshot. Would be nice if 12 gauge shells were cheaper though, :p

#10 Kondrath

Kondrath

Neowinian Senior

• 1,942 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 17:32

#11 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 20:11

Ground squirrels are definitely, they eat everything and burrow everywhere.
Ranchers have damage to livestock all the time because those suckers leave holes all over the fields for the animals to step in and break legs.

#12 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,679 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:40

Michigan squirrels -

Chipmunks (2 types), Ground squirrel (13 lined), Tree squirrel (Grey, Red, and Eastern Fox), Flying (2 types) and Marmots (Woodchuck.) There is also a breeding population of black squirrels that are a melanistic variant of the Grey.

The trees and woodchucks are the most hunted, the latter usually both as vermin and as food because of their large size, up to 30 lb, and flavor when properly prepared. 'Chucks are tough though, often requiring anything from a .17 HMR to a .22 Mag or even a .223 Remington at longer ranges.

Mid-sized Michigan woodchuck with a Winchester Model 53 for scale -

Posted Image

#13 OP Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,529 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 20:18

We consider ground squirrels (chipmunks) a pest species here. They're too small to eat, dig holes, carry diseases and they will clean out $10 worth of birdseed from our bird-feeders in one day, so we keep a shotgun on the porch and shoot any of them that come into the yard. I don't go hunting for them though, just keep them out of the yard.

#14 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,679 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 22:39

We have a large population of red tailed hawks (up to 5' wingspan) that keep most small pests under control, and the reds have become quite used to hunting in human areas - not unusual at all to see one in your back yard making a kill. Not too good for smaller pets though.

What the reds don't get the rat snakes & rattlesnake go after.

#15 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,099 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:45

Squirrels are free spirits, but you can lure them with any food within their taste range.
Takes times, but squirrels can recognize you if you are try feeding'em regulary, and became less scared to you.

I have better luck with cats turn nicer to me than squirrels though.