10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all.

My 1.0L Corsa is having major overheating problems, and I've been informed that it might be a broken thermostat not allowing the hot/cold water to circulate around the engine. I've also been informed that they are easily replacable, and can actually be removed (especially during winter). Is this possible? I don't want to risk chopping bits out of the engine without knowing that it's actually going to be ok.

Posted

Hi, they are easily replaced by anyone with a competent knowledge in motor mechanics, if in doubt you could always contact any garage to do the work for you, the thermostat is quite cheap, the only cost to you would really be their labour
This is only an example as the prices can vary

Vauxhall Corsa Thermostat, for arguement sake, lets call it

Posted

Don't simply remove it.

If you don't know what you're doing, get it done properly. I hope you're not driving the car while it's over heating!! You don't want to blow a head gasket or worse, crack the head.

Take it to a mechanic, it's one of the cheaper repairs available.

Posted

The car isn't being use at the moment, as it is just too faulty. I don't know what I'm doing, but my dad has a good idea. I can't afford to get it repaired though. :(

Posted

I did the thermostat myself on my golf, get a haynes manual and get to it
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Daedroth' timestamp='1348998461' post='595216401']
The car isn't being use at the moment, as it is just too faulty. I don't know what I'm doing, but my dad has a good idea. I can't afford to get it repaired though. :(
[/quote]

I doubt a thermostat and a Haynes manual would be more expensive than insuring and taxing a car that's sitting on your drive.

Posted

[quote name='what' timestamp='1349004275' post='595216467']
I doubt a thermostat and a Haynes manual would be more expensive than insuring and taxing a car that's sitting on your drive.
[/quote]
It isn't, but I'm still debating whether the trade the car in or not. So whether to still be throwing money at a car I may not have for much longer.

Posted

Thermostat is about

Posted

[quote name='Haggis' timestamp='1349078223' post='595218003']
Thermostat is about

Posted

Vauxhalls tend to have the thermostat in a housing and the whole unit is replaced as one, they are not terribly expensive and easy as hell to replace, Here from ebay [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CORSA-THERMOSTAT-KIT-1-0-06-10-OE-QUALITY-/300599672227#ht_2475wt_984"]http://www.ebay.co.u...7#ht_2475wt_984[/url]

Normally though if the thermostat is gone, they fail in the open postion and would result in over cooling rather than over heating, thats what happened twice on my vectra.