Photo

Is it possible to bring Windows XP x64 up to date?

winxp

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:06

Ok, I know that an SP3 was never made for the x64 edition of XP. But would it be possible to actually bring it up to date some how?

#2 azspeedbullet

azspeedbullet

Neowinian

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:07

if i remember correctly from the last time i used win xp x64, you will need to use the windows server 2003 service pack instead of the regular xp service pack

#3 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:16

if i remember correctly from the last time i used win xp x64, you will need to use the windows server 2003 service pack instead of the regular xp service pack

I really need to make sure before I install XP x64 on this older AMD. I could just give them the x86 edition, but then the 8 gigs of DDR2 ram would get lost so to speak. I might be able to install Vista x64, but a lot of their other hardware are not up to speed. Which would mean either running drivers in compatibility mode or upgrading their hardware. i am doing this as a favor to them because their kid needs a system for homework. So I cannot afford to upgrade it any further then I already have.

Edit:

According to MS, there is no SP3 for Server 2k3.

#4 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:23

I really need to make sure before I install XP x64 on this older AMD. I could just give them the x86 edition, but then the 8 gigs of DDR2 ram would get lost so to speak. I might be able to install Vista x64, but a lot of their other hardware are not up to speed. Which would mean either running drivers in compatibility mode or upgrading their hardware. i am doing this as a favor to them because their kid needs a system for homework. So I cannot afford to upgrade it any further then I already have.

Edit:

Win 7 should be then, if your hardware has 8gb of ram that's far more than enough, my father has a c-60 processor running happily win7 x64 bits no problem, and it's quite fast.

#5 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:23

true. i still have a copy somewhere @ home, although that version really never caught on.
Also remember that in that version of windows there's a bigger scarcity of drivers.

#6 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:24

Get Win7 on the cheap while it is on the cheap (found it as cheap as $80), or give them XP and for $40 they can have Win8 when it arrives.

#7 azspeedbullet

azspeedbullet

Neowinian

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:25

Edit:

i currently run windows 7 64bit on an old amd 64 x2 dual core processor 2.40ghz..,no problems and much much faster then regular xp

#8 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:31

I will see what can be done. I'll load my Win7 on it and see if it can recognize the hardware. If not, I will just slap WinXP x64 SP2 on it and update it as much as possible.

#9 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:38

I will see what can be done. I'll load my Win7 on it and see if it can recognize the hardware. If not, I will just slap WinXP x64 SP2 on it and update it as much as possible.

Windows 7 will see everything fine, so long as you install the drivers. The drivers are avalible right?

#10 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:39

What do you need XP x64 for, if I may ask? AFAIK, it's been abandoned.

#11 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:47

Windows 7 will see everything fine, so long as you install the drivers. The drivers are avalible right?

I cannot find any Win7 drivers for some of the hardware and I don't have any extra hardware that I can just pop into it.

I upgraded the ram in this system to 8gigs. XP x86 will not utilize all the ram and their kid is studying graphics/media stuff that I don't understand. So will need full utilization of the 8gigs DDR2.

#12 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:49

look at the higher posts, the whole point of 64bit was because the PC has 8gb of ram which would be wasted if he installed normal XP x86

I cannot find any Win7 drivers for some of the hardware and I don't have any extra hardware that I can just pop into it.

it's still possible that Windows 7 will have some generic drivers built in that will work out-of-the-box. so it's still worth a try. better to rule it out completely than to not try it at all IMO

#13 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:49

I upgraded the ram in this system to 8gigs. XP x86 will not utilize all the ram and their kid is studying graphics/media stuff that I don't understand. So will need full utilization of the 8gigs DDR2.

What can't you find? Give me the name and model no and I'll see what I can do. I got sources. :shiftyninja:

#14 azspeedbullet

azspeedbullet

Neowinian

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:52

you can install VISTA drivers within the windows 7 operating system with no problems. I recently had to install a geforce fx5200 card in a pc, windows 7 did not pick up the drivers by the vista drivers worked fine

#15 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:53

Vista would still be a much better option for security, stability, support and multicore reasons. But there may be alternate ways to get the drivers that we can help with and 7 would be a much better option (as said above, Vista drivers should work fine.)