Photo

Is it possible to bring Windows XP x64 up to date?

winxp

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:55

Yea, I think after all this time now of putting into the Win7 driver issue and not finding anything to work, am just going to install XP and enable PAE. Too frustrating, plus it's slow on Win7.

#32 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:02

PAE only interferes with poorly written graphics drivers, it's a common myth that it causes system instability (Every server with > 3.5GB RAM in the 90s and 00s used PAE without any hicups)

I'm pretty sure a Microsoft employee said that PAE for x86 was bad if you use consumer drivers as they don't really get adapted for PAE. This is why you mentioned server as it's more of a server feature with proper drivers that fully support it.

#33 Argote

Argote

Formerly known as ArtOf_War

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:10

Are they using anything that requires Windows? In this case it might be easier to go the Ubuntu route, especially since PAE is not a very good solution (I believe you need specially written software to take advantage of it).

#34 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:14

Yea, I think after all this time now of putting into the Win7 driver issue and not finding anything to work, am just going to install XP and enable PAE. Too frustrating, plus it's slow on Win7.

how much ram is on the system what CPU is it cause windows 7 should run just fine .

#35 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:26

how much ram is on the system what CPU is it cause windows 7 should run just fine .

Well, it's slow on this old athlon 3000+. Also, 8gigs ddr2. Installing XP now, will enable PAE on it after.

#36 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:32

Well, it's slow on this old athlon 3000+. Also, 8gigs ddr2. Installing XP now, will enable PAE on it after.

then ther somthiong wrong because i had windows 7 on much older system then that far older and it ran butter smooth and No dont use PAE it can harm the system and hurt it more then it helps XP is a bad ide and PAE no way

#37 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:34

Let me know how it goes. I'll be really surprised if you can get everything to work properly with PAE enabled. Very surprised.

(Also, is there a reason why you really need 8GB of RAM on such an old machine? Specific software? My main computer that I'm using for pretty much everything including gaming, Java development and VM's runs Windows 7 x64 with 4GB of RAM and it's perfectly fine?)

#38 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:36

I upgraded the ram in this system to 8gigs. XP x86 will not utilize all the ram and their kid is studying graphics/media stuff that I don't understand. So will need full utilization of the 8gigs DDR2.

If the rest of the hardware isn't that great, then 8GB of RAM won't really make a difference. Win7 should run just fine on anything with that much RAM. We've got some Core2Duo machines that had XP on them and upgrade to Win7 they run much better. I don't see the slowdowns over time that I did with XP.

#39 Laslow

Laslow

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:45

Note: Windows XP 64bit shipped with SP1 built in, so SP2 is the same as SP3 for Xp code wise.

Yes.
Windows XP x86 is Windows NT 5.1, which has three service packs.
Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x64 is Windows NT 5.2, which has only two service packs.

So if you're running XP x64 SP2, you're already up to date, it's got everything XP x86 SP3 has.

#40 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:45

Windows 7 x64 using XP Mode seems like the way to go to me if there's a software incompatibility with Windows 7 - it can run through the XP VM.

#41 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:12

Ok. I understand what everyone is saying. Anyways, to the meat of this: WinXP SP3 installed. PAE enabled and zero issues. So far. I will keep it doggin for a few more days before I give this system to them and see what happens. But so far, so good. *knock on wood*

#42 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:26

if you are giving the system to someone then you dont want to enable PAE or anything liek that take some ram out then give to them or install windows 7 again on it cause i hardly believe ya when ya said it ran slow because i have windows 7 running on a AMd Athlon XP 1.6ghz chip with 1.5gb of ram and cheap PCI card to do Aero and thre sucker runs like a dream

#43 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:54

if you are giving the system to someone then you dont want to enable PAE or anything liek that take some ram out then give to them or install windows 7 again on it cause i hardly believe ya when ya said it ran slow because i have windows 7 running on a AMd Athlon XP 1.6ghz chip with 1.5gb of ram and cheap PCI card to do Aero and thre sucker runs like a dream

Don't care what you believe. Thanx for everyone's help.

#44 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:13

Don't care what you believe. Thanx for everyone's help.

Then don't ask for help. They were offering their opinion based on the fact that you're not the one that's going to be living with this machine around the clock.

Everyone has already told you that Service Pack 2 for the 64-bit XP is the same as SP3 for the x86 version which is true.

The information was there, but for some reason you're choosing the hard route, and then being rude to someone who is pointing something that is actually true.

#45 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:02

Then don't ask for help. They were offering their opinion based on the fact that you're not the one that's going to be living with this machine around the clock.

Everyone has already told you that Service Pack 2 for the 64-bit XP is the same as SP3 for the x86 version which is true.

The information was there, but for some reason you're choosing the hard route, and then being rude to someone who is pointing something that is actually true.

Being rude? He was being rude first by calling me a liar. So f*ck him. I understand what they were saying. He didn't have to go out his way to call me a liar.