single-player wow gaming

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#46 Breach

Breach

Neowinian

• 856 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:52

Completely disagree - the only game I *occasionally* play MP is Diablo III.

#47 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• 2,120 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:52

what i worry about is the new SimCity... if that game won't allow modding the series, is again, d.e.a.d. SimCity allready tried to return with Societies, and it flopped worse then Vista....

now they try to bring it back again once more and they need to go mod or go home.... sites like simtropolis are gonna tear SC2013 up if it won't have modding and that genre of game has very vocal, very demanding, but very passionate fans.... we are very dissapointed in the sim genre scene like how some people are dissapointed in the EDM scene or those in the hip-hop scene... we are often the ones that have got left behind while the FPS scene is the most catered too... the shock jocks that only have twitch and not finesse and patience... those numbers are increasing while the sim crowd is getting dumbed down in favor of facebook crap while us intelligent sim gamer crowd gets neglected and bored and we wear out simcity 4 or 2K....

angst... angst.... angst.... this is the lament of an old school hardcore gamer.... becoming less and less of one due to the lack of quality these days.... minecraft kinda fills it so far as creativity for me, however there's the emotional void....

skyrim and minecraft are the last two games I've gotten anything out of.... 2 games in 2 years.... pathetic.... back in the day I would find 5 or 6 at least...

oh well... more space on my HDD for cat videos!!!!

Im exactly the same die hard gamer since the age of 7 with my CBM64 and tapper, spy hunter, spy v spy etc etc etc, last few years has been pretty dry of original and captivating titles :( I thought it was just me "growing out of it" at the age of 40 :p

#48 Kirkburn

Kirkburn

Mmm, delicious sanity.

• 6,748 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:37

what i worry about is the new SimCity... if that game won't allow modding the series, is again, d.e.a.d. SimCity allready tried to return with Societies, and it flopped worse then Vista....

Since when did the SimCity games depend on modding to be popular?? As it is, I think you overestimate the number of people who actually care about modding games.

Then my list would lose very few of the games on it (as in only 3). So lets list a few single player only games that have come out in the last 10 years (2002-2012).

Going back to 2002 is a bit extreme. I mean, he's being asked about the current state, not the state 10 years ago. A fair bit has changed in 10 years (broadband connections, storage technology, economics, etc.).

Plus, while that's a long list, it's spread over 10 years. I mean, let's say there are 10 big budget single player games in a year - that's not actually that much. Plus, the actual metric of interest is whether the number per year is decreasing.

#49 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,711 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:23

Prove what wrong? Quote an entire sentence from Pardo's interview, and compare it to your Skyrim/ME/AC example, and explain how his quote is wrong.

Are you saying factors are NOT making it difficult to produce games like that? Are you saying games like Skyrim DON'T require extensive risk management before pouring tens of millions of dollars into production? I'm just curious, because the only way you use a game like Skyrim to prove him wrong is if you're reading him wrong to begin with.

They are in todays market less risky than MMO's, so I'm not sure what your point was supposed to be.

Keep in mind that the context of the interview was explicitly about single-player games that did not have any multiplayer functionality whatsoever: games that were designed and built from the ground-up to deliver a specifically single-player experience. The addition of multiplayer to "widen the appeal" of the game can be spun as a bonus, but in the context of this interview, it was looked at as the curse of building single-player games: it's just more fiscally viable to find a way to design it so it's multiplayer-capable.

So keep your list to games that were built for one player, 100% of the time. Remember, "single player mode" does not a "single player game" make.

I'd argue that while many or most of those games have a multiplayer element to them, the majority of players don't use them and just plays the single plaers and couldn't care less about the multiplayer element.

#50 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:30

Id say WoW's business model of an MMO that charges monthly will die well before Single-Player. WoW only charges because they can get away with it, it's an outdated practice from the 90's when Server bandwidth was expensive, nowadays hosting these servers is so cheap they don't even get their own category in the bill, it gets lumped in with "other".

#51 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 15:39

A lot of gamers just think everything needs to be co-cop. I have a friend who still think its was ridiculous that Skyrim wasn't MP.

#52 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,726 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 06 October 2012 - 15:41

I like big budget single player games. Multi player games are a mixed bag because you usually end up with sucky teammates.

#53 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• 2,768 posts
  • Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 06 October 2012 - 17:37

Since when did the SimCity games depend on modding to be popular?? As it is, I think you overestimate the number of people who actually care about modding games.

Going back to 2002 is a bit extreme. I mean, he's being asked about the current state, not the state 10 years ago. A fair bit has changed in 10 years (broadband connections, storage technology, economics, etc.).

Plus, while that's a long list, it's spread over 10 years. I mean, let's say there are 10 big budget single player games in a year - that's not actually that much. Plus, the actual metric of interest is whether the number per year is decreasing.

Well to be fair most of the list is spread out over the last 5-7 years (this generation of consoles, essentially).

#54 Scar

Scar

Neowinian

• 194 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:10

No it's not ********, now go make other games that douchebags get consumed by so I don't have to talk to the losers.

We have a winner here. I certainly don't consider myself a loser nor would I blindly label people based on a video game/hobby. I just hope(wishful at best), for that child's sake, you don't have your entire existence leased to the very core.

#55 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:06

simtropolis will tell you otherwise

also games that have a huge modding community:
the elder scrolls series, fallout series, minecraft SP, etc.....

#56 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,711 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:21

simtropolis will tell you otherwise

also games that have a huge modding community:
the elder scrolls series, fallout series, minecraft SP, etc.....

and simtropolis represent what sub percentage of the sim city players.

#57 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:42

and simtropolis represent what sub percentage of the sim city players.

a lot of them......

#58 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• 3,447 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 October 2012 - 21:20

They've been saying this for years. The problem here is that I'm sure there are many people (myself included) who prefer the SP experience, have crappy internet connections or don't even have broadband in their areas. This no talent a$$ clown doesn't have a clue.

#59 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 13:18

This no talent a$$ clown doesn't have a clue.

In regards to what, exactly? Please explain how using the context of the article content and not just in response to the click-grab, made-up headline title.

#60 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,711 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 13:22

In regards to what, exactly? Please explain how using the context of the article content and not just in response to the click-grab, made-up headline title.

It's been explained several times in the thread, in regards to the context of the article.