Photo

Windows 8 Apps Nightmare

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
84 replies to this topic

#31 OP AngelGraves13

AngelGraves13

Neowinian

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:40

Well I've been too busy playing Dishonored to mess around with my system. Everything seems to be working again. Games in App Store still says I don't meet the requirements, though it's installed and working fine.

I'll do a clean format in the middle of November when Office 2013 hits Technet. Hopefully Creative will update their drivers by then, and that Diskeeper will be updated as well.

Only other thing I can think of that screwed something up is CCleaner. I'm just never going to use the registry cleaner again, though I do like to clean out old MUI references from time to time.

#32 Sinster

Sinster

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:21

I having huge issue with Apps. Some just shutdown or I can't even connect to the "Store" keeps telling me that my PC isn't connected to the internet. Mail, SkyDrive, Weather, and everything else that requires an internet connection have no issues. I ran the App diag and it found nothing. You should be allowed to adjust your APPS settings. How would I know what e-mail account the Store is trying to connect with. I have my gmail account for my XboxLive, Gaming For Windows, and I have a .hotmail account for my skydrive. I don't know which one is trying to connect.

MSCONFIG shows Windows 7 and Vista Ultimate which has never been installed on this computer under the O/S's and each time I reboot it "Selected Services" are ticked and this is after I choose "normal". I also delete Vista and that comes back saying it's found under my G drive. My G drive is empty.

#33 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:49

How would I know what e-mail account the Store is trying to connect with. I have my gmail account for my XboxLive, Gaming For Windows, and I have a .hotmail account for my skydrive. I don't know which one is trying to connect.

It uses the same email address you use to login to Windows...

#34 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:00

I noticed that you cannot update your metro apps without having Windows Firewall enabled.

What the hell does Windows Firewall have to do with software updates, I have no clue.
Why force users to use Windows Firewall, effectively barring other firewalls, I have no clue.

#35 carmatic

carmatic

oh cool i can change my member title

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:03

Only other thing I can think of that screwed something up is CCleaner. I'm just never going to use the registry cleaner again, though I do like to clean out old MUI references from time to time.

I fully agree with you there, a system cleaner for a yet to be released OS, where nobody really has any experience yet of the nuances and inner workings of, to safely tweak and optimize the OS....

#36 Sinster

Sinster

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2012 - 14:51

It uses the same email address you use to login to Windows...

I'm using local. I did try Microsoft account as well and got the same results.

I created another local account and that worked. That fixed the issue, but I don't like that fix. Everything is setup on this account. I just need to figure out what it holding back the "store" from connecting.

#37 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:11

I noticed that you cannot update your metro apps without having Windows Firewall enabled.

What the hell does Windows Firewall have to do with software updates, I have no clue.
Why force users to use Windows Firewall, effectively barring other firewalls, I have no clue.

I have no problems updating apps with the built-in firewall enabled :/

#38 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:13

I have no problems updating apps with the built-in firewall enabled :/

Re-read my post.

#39 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:24

Crap, maybe that's where my issues lie? I turned off the firewall a few days ago and have had occasional issues with the store (but it doesn't bother me that much as I rarely use the store as I find most of the apps in there rubbish)

#40 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:28

Re-read my post.

Arrgh, surfing the web in the middle of the night kind of gets to you sometimes. I apologize :)

Terrible if that's the case.

#41 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 15 October 2012 - 16:34

Just a guess, but it sounds like the other firewall software you were using doesn't properly manage ports on your actual firewall/router (i.e. via uPnP).

#42 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 15 October 2012 - 19:20

Just a guess, but it sounds like the other firewall software you were using doesn't properly manage ports on your actual firewall/router (i.e. via uPnP).

None here. Just eventually figured out that you need Windows Firewall Service running to update metro apps for some reason.
Turned it on and whola I can update my Metro apps.

#43 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 15 October 2012 - 19:50

None here. Just eventually figured out that you need Windows Firewall Service running to update metro apps for some reason.
Turned it on and whola I can update my Metro apps.

What do you mean? You're not behind a router?

#44 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:02

What do you mean? You're not behind a router?

Well I have this basic DSL modem box thing and it has a Firewall.
I disabled Windows Firewall service in services.msc and I was unable to update Metro Applications.
Turned it back on I was able to do so again. I am not sure what else I can say here.

I just checked, Windows Firewall is disabled and I cannot update things through the store.
0x80073d0a 0x80246007 0x80073cff

Normal updates work - those rely on other networking services.

You Windows dev guys really have WAAAAY too complicated update systems, just update using like port 80 https..

Edited by ArialBlue, 16 October 2012 - 01:05.

#45 zeke009

zeke009

yeap...

• Phone: Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:15

Also...I have 2 Updates to be installed...but where?

I had this occur as well and managed to clear it.

2 things came together when this went away for me, so I'm still not sure which one did it or if it was a combo.
  • Item #1: Run Windows update and install KB2756872.
  • Item #2: Sync licenses
  • Go in to the Windows Store
  • Go to Settings
  • Go to App Updates
  • Click Sync licenses
  • Click Check for Updates
  • It took a reboot for it to clear
Either way, my issues with the app store have been resolved and I'm a happy user at the moment. I had the one you mentioned originally and then the phantom updates.