Photo

Windows 8 Apps Nightmare

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
84 replies to this topic

#46 Chester0

Chester0

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:47

I have 11 updates it seams, well only on the tile, when i open the App store it dosent say updates anywhere...

#47 zeke009

zeke009

yeap...

• Phone: Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:49

I have 11 updates it seams, well only on the tile, when i open the App store it dosent say updates anywhere...

Not even in the top right corner? Did you try what I posted earlier?

I am really curious if it resolves this or if it was perfect timing on my end when the issue resolved itself.

#48 OP AngelGraves13

AngelGraves13

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:55

I had this occur as well and managed to clear it.

2 things came together when this went away for me, so I'm still not sure which one did it or if it was a combo.

• Item #1: Run Windows update and install KB2756872.
  • Item #2: Sync licenses
  • Go in to the Windows Store
  • Go to Settings
  • Go to App Updates
  • Click Sync licenses
  • Click Check for Updates
  • It took a reboot for it to clear
Either way, my issues with the app store have been resolved and I'm a happy user at the moment. I had the one you mentioned originally and then the phantom updates.

Already had that installed. It's working now, but it took some troubleshooting.

Everything is working now, so I'll just continue to enjoy Windows 8.

And is it just me, or do the Windows 8 Apps still suck? Haven't found one useful app yet. It's easier for me to go to eBay with Chrome rather than with the App.

#49 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:43

Already had that installed. It's working now, but it took some troubleshooting.

Everything is working now, so I'll just continue to enjoy Windows 8.

And is it just me, or do the Windows 8 Apps still suck? Haven't found one useful app yet. It's easier for me to go to eBay with Chrome rather than with the App.

I've un-installed every Windows 8 app except for Netflix and One Note. All the rest are next to useless IMO.

I keep on checking the app store every week or so for new additions but generally if I do install something it's gone within a few minutes.

#50 Sinster

Sinster

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 13:52

The only app that I found useful are 3rd party such as Evernote.

#51 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 16 October 2012 - 17:32

Well I have this basic DSL modem box thing and it has a Firewall.
I disabled Windows Firewall service in services.msc and I was unable to update Metro Applications.
Turned it back on I was able to do so again. I am not sure what else I can say here.

I just checked, Windows Firewall is disabled and I cannot update things through the store.
0x80073d0a 0x80246007 0x80073cff

Normal updates work - those rely on other networking services.

You Windows dev guys really have WAAAAY too complicated update systems, just update using like port 80 https..

Firewall software like Windows Firewall will open the corresponding ports on your hardware firewall. I don't know that this is needed for updates (I wouldn't think so, but it was an idea). The mechanism for installing apps and app updates is Windows Update, so if apps aren't able to update then it's likely Windows itself wouldn't be able to be updated.

#52 ndoggfromhell

ndoggfromhell

Master of the 6th Speed

Posted 16 October 2012 - 17:46

My system has been up for over a month straight and i've had no issues with any Metro Apps causing system stability issues. Firefox has been the only problem as of late. Everything else in Windows 8 has been great. Hoped that Media Center would get the metro makeover, but that hasn't happened yet.

I had the same app issue (says I have updates, but then doesn't show any update) and it eventually went away on it's own.

#53 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:19

Firewall software like Windows Firewall will open the corresponding ports on your hardware firewall. I don't know that this is needed for updates (I wouldn't think so, but it was an idea). The mechanism for installing apps and app updates is Windows Update, so if apps aren't able to update then it's likely Windows itself wouldn't be able to be updated.

This is the first time I ever heard anyone say that Windows Firewall messes with DSL router configurations. AFAIK FUD.
Also Windows Update works just fine, as I said before.

#54 zeke009

zeke009

yeap...

• Phone: Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Posted 16 October 2012 - 23:02

I got rid of a few defaults, but use messenger, email, videos, and music often. Aside from games, metrotwit and weatherbug are my most used 3rd party apps. I have some news apps, just don't launch them as often.

#55 ----------

----------

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:35

Since today I can't install the Amazon Kindle app anymore. If I search for it in the store and open the app description it keeps telling me "Sorry, this app isn't available for your PC".
It worked fine before until I tried to update the app. Then I uninstalled it, so I can reinstall, but it isn't possible anymore.

Anyone an idea?

#56 Zain Adeel

Zain Adeel

Zain

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:18

I can confirm these problems. The store isn't as robust as the WP7 store. Lots of bugs and misinformation.
They need to fix this ASAP!

#57 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 18 October 2012 - 17:30

This is the first time I ever heard anyone say that Windows Firewall messes with DSL router configurations.

I didn't say "messes with." I had thought the firewall API or service was part of how apps trigger UPnP-enabled routers to do this. But I may have been wrong about that (couldn't easily find confirmation either way). I'll have to look into that more later.

AFAIK FUD.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

#58 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 18 October 2012 - 19:20

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ditto.

#59 OP AngelGraves13

AngelGraves13

Neowinian

Posted 23 October 2012 - 18:06

So it seems Microsoft has now locked the Games app to ARM processors. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is, as you need to use it to play Games for Windows LIVE games.

Some comments in the app suggest it's only locked until Windows 8 is released, while others suggest that it's just locked to ARM processors now.

#60 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 October 2012 - 19:53

So it seems Microsoft has now locked the Games app to ARM processors. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is, as you need to use it to play Games for Windows LIVE games.

Some comments in the app suggest it's only locked until Windows 8 is released, while others suggest that it's just locked to ARM processors now.

I have the Games app on my x64 desktop. Where is this info coming from? Mind posting up hard data showing this?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!