Windows 8 Apps Nightmare

They're obviously still working out some bugs, my Store app shows that I have Fruit Ninja installed but I don't. I had the trial app back during the beta but I never purchased it. It tried to "update" the game now but fails every time. Kind of annoying... hope this stuff gets fixed by Friday.

Fruit Ninja was updated into a paid app, which causes the problem on the update. Try uninstalling, go to the Store, go to Your Apps, and re-install it from there.

Huh...I haven't seen that usage scenario really come up. If anything I've generally seen one monitor dedicated to older style WinApps and one dedicated to Metro style stuff. I haven't really seen an issue with that usage scenario.

Any examples of where this would come in handy, with some specific usage scenarios? :)

By snap do you mean that almost useless in 80% of apps mode where you can make one app a quarter of the size?

One example I can think of it doing some research with IE10 and wanting to take notes with Onenote. I would have to constantly switch apps using alt-tab or the graphical app switcher hot corner.

I know I could use the desktop version of IE10 but usage case still stands.

By snap do you mean that almost useless in 80% of apps mode where you can make one app a quarter of the size?

One example I can think of it doing some research with IE10 and wanting to take notes with Onenote. I would have to constantly switch apps using alt-tab or the graphical app switcher hot corner.

I know I could use the desktop version of IE10 but usage case still stands.

How does the usage case still stand if there is a way to do what you are asking that is supported?

Oh, and I just did Snap with OneNoteMX and IE10 Metro...you can have either be the smaller snapped item, and both work...so mind trying with something else? :)

Uninstall the game, then go back into the store and look at games/apps you haven't installed.

Fruit Ninja was updated into a paid app, which causes the problem on the update. Try uninstalling, go to the Store, go to Your Apps, and re-install it from there.

Appreciate the suggestions, but I should have been a bit more detailed - I can't uninstall the App. It doesn't show up on the Start Screen, or in the Apps list so there's no way for me to uninstall it through the GUI. I checked in PowerShell and it shows installed twice, with the same "PackageFullName" value but it won't even let me uninstall it from there.

I was able to install the app on my Windows 8 desktop without issue though, so I'm pretty sure the problem is my tablet just thinking that it is installed when it really isn't. I might have to remove the app files manually :/, but that's a really bad experience, something I hope we don't have to get used to.

(Hey Shane, how's it going man? Been a long time since Winstock :))

Appreciate the suggestions, but I should have been a bit more detailed - I can't uninstall the App. It doesn't show up on the Start Screen, or in the Apps list so there's no way for me to uninstall it through the GUI. I checked in PowerShell and it shows installed twice, with the same "PackageFullName" value but it won't even let me uninstall it from there.

I was able to install the app on my Windows 8 desktop without issue though, so I'm pretty sure the problem is my tablet just thinking that it is installed when it really isn't. I might have to remove the app files manually :/, but that's a really bad experience, something I hope we don't have to get used to.

(Hey Shane, how's it going man? Been a long time since Winstock :))

Hmm that's odd... I've never seen that scenario crop up before.

(Hey Chris...man that has been a while. I remember you letting me crash while I was up there. Funnily enough I live close by now...didn't back then though.)

How does the usage case still stand if there is a way to do what you are asking that is supported?

Oh, and I just did Snap with OneNoteMX and IE10 Metro...you can have either be the smaller snapped item, and both work...so mind trying with something else? :)

I know the snap works but I have two 24 inch monitors, I shouldn't be forced to have two applications open on the same monitor (one using a third of the screen) in order to use them both quickly at the same time without using a keyboard or hot corner action.

Another one I just thought of, I couldn't have Netflix (or the video app) playing a tv show or movie on one monitor and use any other app at the same time, couldn't use the mail app to check my email, couldn't play a quick game of solitaire, couldn't tweet about the show using Metro tweet unless I snap something which isn't practical for playing solitaire in or checking email.

I just don't understand why I'm unable to have two apps open at the same time on both of my monitors, seems like a silly design to me.

Shane, I think you know what we think of your usage scenarios...guy simply asked why he can't run an two RT apps on two monitors at the same time.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know it was ok for me to ask questions here. Maybe I should ask your permission before each attempt, and you should ask for mine before posting anything as well.

I mean isn't that fair...or maybe we should both be allowed to post what we wish as long as it's within the rules and let the moderators decide when things aren't, ok?

unabatedshagie, I imagine that what you're asking for while come with time. This is an entirely new way of handling the UI for Windows. There are bound to be 'growing pains' for things...but that's why I pointed out what I did. There are still things that can be done.

I actually use Netflix and Hulu Plus and such snapped to the side all the time while I have other things open. Usually while I'm watching things on Netflix or Hulu I'll be carrying on conversations with people via the messaging hub, and even jump in and out of doing desktop stuff as well while still watching things.

I had to uninstall some apps and reinstall them. I guess they were removed from the store and added again.

Everything is working beautifully now.

I guess Microsoft worked out the kinks before launch.

• 1 year later...