Michael Pachter: "No one out there has a PC as powerful as a PS3"

http://www.dsogaming...erful-as-a-ps3/

It?s really a shame that there are analysts such Michael Pachter out there that can affect the gaming industry. It?s not because some might disagree with his opinions, but because this analyst is clueless and we are really puzzled with this whole thing. After countless of wrong assumptions for a huge number of topics, Pachter stated in his Pack Attack! shows that gamers won?t get any good games because they whined too much about ME3 and that no one out there has a PC as powerful as a PS3. Wait what?

That comment from Pachter?s twitter account ? about PC gaming ? was quite old (Pach Attack Episode 108 was the episode where Pachter addressed it, suggesting that ?most? PCs are not as powerful as PS3) but was brought to our attention by our reader Jean. Pachter explained that he meant ?most? and that he is aware that a few have a PC more powerful than a PS3. Pachter also said that PC gaming is ? more or less ? dying, as the money was and is on consoles. Guess that?s why we?ve seen a lot of successful Kickstarter campaigns in the last couple of months. Of course, this wouldn?t be an issue if Pachter made another statement to counter-attack that previous one. In other words, he still believes (otherwise we?d have seen a new statement about it) that PS3 is more powerful than ?most? PC systems.

Obviously, Pachter does not know what he?s talking about as every multi-platform title looked, looks and will look better on the PC (compared to current-gen consoles). Hell, even a single GTX275 (coupled with a quad-core) outperforms PS3 in every way. No, forget that. Even Crysis 1 looks better ? especially when modded ? than every PS3 game out there. But you already know that, unless of course you?re a fanboy which brings the question ? is Pachter a Sony fanboy? In fact, PS3 was outperformed by Nvidia?s 8800GTX the moment it got out, as all games looked and played better on the PC thanks to that card. Don?t believe us? Then go ahead and get that GPU, and run Oblivion modded or any other multiplatform title that was released back in those days.

What?s also hilarious is the fact that Pachter believes that gamers won?t get any good games because they whined about Mass Effect 3. Well Pachter, just a hint ? Project Eternity and Dishonored say hello.

Fans should express their thoughts because they are the ones who made an ?X? company what it is today. Those were the ones who bought their games, supported them, made their games well known by suggesting them to other gamers, etc. You cannot blame fans when a game has major issues. You cannot blame fans when a development team fails to deliver. And you cannot blame fans when the co-founder of BioWare, Ray Muzyka, has already backed them up.

Naturally, you can view Pachter?s latest show ? in which he bashes ME3 fans ? on GameTrailers. We?ll not embed the video, but we?ll simply link to it. Why? Because we don?t like having such videos embedded that are full of you_know_what.

Enjoy!

Alright guys, let's tear into him once again! ;)

Well the processor is something, yes. However you'd be hard pressed to find today's PC games with minimum requirements targeting a 7800 GTX and just 256 MB of RAM.

Though when you consider the trend these days is towards smaller and more efficient machines - tablets and laptops in particular - he does have a slight point. But that is of course assuming the old mindset that gaming is all about blockbuster $60+ titles and nothing else.

Also this dude must've missed the memo about PC games taking on new revenue models (i.e. freemium) or different distribution channels than brick and mortar in the last half-decade or so. If you're basing it simply on the amount of shelf space PC games get at stores then of course PC gaming is "dying." Probably because right to this day, there is no single first party promoting the platform.

Of course, this wouldn?t be an issue if Pachter made another statement to counter-attack that previous one. In other words, he still believes (otherwise we?d have seen a new statement about it) that PS3 is more powerful than ?most? PC systems.

Not to defend Pachter (I don't even know who that guy is) but I don't see how not releasing a counter-statement to a comparative you made long ago does imply that you still think the same thing.

Even if the statement had been true back then, it's obvious that PCs get faster all the time while the PS3 will be stuck with the same hardware until the next PS model is released.

Whoever wrote this article should be beaten over the head with a gigantic grammar book. Damn, that was painful to read.

More to the point of the article, this analyst sounds like a jabbering idiot. It's obvious he knows nothing about technology. He probably just likes the attention.

this analyst sounds like a jabbering idiot. It's obvious he knows nothing about technology. He probably just likes the attention.

That sums Pachter up pretty well. (Y) He essentially gets paid to take a stab at things. I wish I had that job. :p

That sums Pachter up pretty well. (Y) He essentially gets paid to take a stab at things. I wish I had that job. :p

If the statement was made last week, then yeah, it seems silly, but if it was made back out in 2006 to 2010, then yes, it is true.

Question, when was this statement made?

As it turns out, 2009. He apparently said it in a GameTrailers best of 2009 video.

Sorry guys! Should have researched this better before I posted it (same goes for that site). :pinch: I'll ask a mod to close the thread.

As it turns out, 2009. He apparently said it in a GameTrailers best of 2009 video.

Sorry guys! Should have researched this better before I posted it (same goes for that site). I'll ask a mod to close the thread.

It wasn't even true in 2009.

In a way I agree with that patcher fellow.

Consoles are easy to optimize for when compared to PC's and their broad range of hardware configurations. So in a way, console gaming makes more sense for the development industry than does trying to make a game be playable across a broad range of hardware specs.

However, the idea that PC's aren't as powerful as the PS3 is simple ignorance. My twin 8800GT's have played games with higher detail than anything the PS3 can hope to render in real time.

Can't view the video at the moment but is related to the one linked in this tweet?

Well that one is linked in the original article, but that's just highlighting the latest episode. It's actually this one. So slightly later (early 2010, not late 2009), but still quite old. (The comment is just before the 6-minute mark in the video.)

The guy was an idiot in 2009, and he still is.

I don't mind people playing on their consoles, but to think for even a second

that consoles are "more powerful" than PCs is just ridiculous. The XBOX has

never beaten a world champion Chess player. hehe

The Cell processor from a computational point of view is quite powerful, but it's general processing is pretty crap.

I'm pretty sure a Sandy Bridge-E processor with AVX would eat the cell processor alive.

• 1 month later...