Photo

The native Start menu is back, everyone rejoice!

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#16 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:53

Not sure if OP understands what 'native' means.

#17 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:59

PLEASE DON'T TELL CASUAL USERS ABOUT BETA VERSIONS. I ASKED EVERYONE - PLEASE DON'T LINK TO BETA 0 IT IS REALLY NOT MEANT FOR PUBLIC TESTING but i'm glad it works...

Amazing work, I think this is much better than Beta 0 :)

#18 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:26

The amount of code should be fairly minimal, I'd be surprised if they saved more than 10 megabytes by removing the start menu code out. Having choice hurts nobody but I am not going to pay for this solution until I see some assurance that it won't be borked by an update.

#19 Panda X

Panda X

Neowinian

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:05

Like the fact you can still customize it with the msstyles: http://i.cubeupload.com/I9H1cX.png

#20 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:22

Maybe they could make a version which patches the files in memory so it works with Windows Update instead of actually changing the files. I think that some custom themers for Windows XP used to do this instead of using a uxtheme.dll patch.

Windows 8 does have an advantage over Windows 7, is that it will have a longer support lifecycle, this is a reason that a business may wish to use a Windows 8 base if they like to extend time between major OS upgrades.

#21 Q9650

Q9650

{ Windows 8 Pro x64 User }

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:28

i use stardock start8 and it`s the best startmenu for 8 just paid $3.99 instead of $4.99 for it...final version will be on GA of windows 8.

#22 Panda X

Panda X

Neowinian

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:51

i use stardock start8 and it`s the best startmenu for 8 just paid $3.99 instead of $4.99 for it...final version will be on GA of windows 8.

I really don't see the need to pay for something like that. Even if it is cheap, it's silly to have to pay for it.

<snipped>

Edited by Calum, 12 October 2012 - 13:32. Reason: Snipped a quote from a removed post

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 October 2012 - 23:32

I'm glad there are excellent options for those who want the start menu back.

#24 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:19

Oh it's that man with his silly software again. You remember him from another thread, where he provides the software, but he does not provide the files, so it does not work. See here-http://www.neowin.ne...-for-windows-8/

I took a look at that link. And he said in his post on the other forum that the software will not be free he is going to charge for it. And he said that it won't withstand Windows updates.

So just stick with Classic Shell or Start Menu 7 they are free to use. And they work. So I have already got my start button and Windows 7 start menu on my Windows 8. With Classic shell.. Andrea Borman.

#25 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:52

Looks nice, however at the moment the creator states:

With that in mind i think Start8 appears to be the way to go at the moment, and you can still use Metro Apps if you wish (Can you with this, not had time to test). Great to see various solutions out there though, ill be interested to see how this develops (Y)

couldn't someone simply reinstall the app after an update to get it back?

#26 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:59

couldn't someone simply reinstall the app after an update to get it back?

If it isn't broken then yes, but since this is a payware, it should be polished enough not to need a re-install when Windows Update ****s it up.

#27 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:17

Why pay for this software when you can have Classic shell for free. Andrea Borman.

#28 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:23

Why pay for this software when you can have Classic shell for free. Andrea Borman.

everyone has what they like I'll venture to say.Some like me will like the freebie being on a disability income which is limited.

#29 DDStriker

DDStriker

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:18

snip

snip

Why do your posts end with your name? you already have it in your signature
Also i'm not sure what you mean he has provided the files everything seems to be there and so what if he wants to make money of it? perhaps stop complaining and work to releasing something as well that benefits users it's much better than complaining all the time :)

Also devs should be paid for their time if they wish to release things for free that's great as well but we shouldn't complain if they wish to charge for their time don't be greedy

<snipped>

Edited by Calum, 14 October 2012 - 15:39. Reason: Snipped out quotes of now removed posts

#30 Stup0t

Stup0t

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumina 520

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:23

Nice to see this, there are a few of these out. stardock have one, which I have been using and its withstood all the updates at the moment. But stardock are starting to ask for money, so a free version would be nicely received :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!