Photo

Sony reveals new PSN store

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:19

Remember that little snippet about the PlayStation Store getting a “new look”? It’s here, if you want to refresh your memory. Well, it was all (naturally) true, and at a special press reveal this morning in London – Sony are currently showing it off to us.

Many PlayStation owners have (rightly) voiced their opinions on the current PSN Store – it’s a little confusing, it’s hard to find what you’re looking for and it’s generally quite slow, with some icons and sections failing to load completely.

The new store, which is apparently coming very soon (there’s PSN maintenance on Monday, which might be pertinent…) takes lots of comments and feedback on board, and aims to create a massively improved experience for everyone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Source: http://www.thesixtha...ystation-store/

The pages themselves scroll from left to right, on what Sony describes as a carousel set-up, which puts more of the store’s content within easy reach as the user moves through scrolling pages.

It’s from a functional perspective that the store will undergo its biggest changes. The search function is now smart, so provides a reductive list of options as each letter of the search phrase is typed. Abbreviations and mis-spellings will also be covered, allowing users to search for MW3 or Mas Efect.

Search performance will be further refined over the coming months, “What will be refreshing to customers is that this will represent a new agile programme that will enable us to add new content every month or so, rather than dumping the new content and saying we’re done,” explained PS Store product development manager, Elliot Dumville.

Filtering has also been improved, filtering is now possible by content type, but also by price and even by peripheral support.
In a guided tour of the store, Dumville showed-off grouped content, which brings together all content for any given title in one place, with links to demos, full games, DLC and themes. Searching for Black Ops, for example, shows related screen shots, links to a demo and provides recommendations for other Call of Duty content.

http://www.vg247.com...rom-october-17/

#2 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:31

Looks nice. The current store is a bit meh, and the performace is downright woeful sometimes.

#3 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:20

It looks great but it reminds me of the Xbox Live interface (which isn't a bad thing).

#4 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:45

to me, it looks way too much like the xbox store. i never had a problem w/ the current PSN store. there were quirks, i guess, but i liked it.

#5 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:13

So how much is it like the 360 store? I don't think it's as simple to compare from pictures alone...

Anyway, looks great to me.

#6 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:19

Sony being original again. They even stole the font from Microsoft (Windows 8, Phone 7+, Zune, Store, etc.). lol

#7 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:21

Stole what, square pictures and thin text??????

#8 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:24

Stole what, square pictures and thin text??????

Of course, MS invented them :rofl:

The new search function looks great for a controller, much more user friendly for the masses.

#9 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:25

I'm really looking forward to this, ever since it was rumoured a few months ago, the current implementation is a joke.

I haven't seen the video but any ideas when its coming?

#10 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:27

I'm really looking forward to this, ever since it was rumoured a few months ago, the current implementation is a joke.

Rep in the video says the 21st for USA, hopefully worldwide, if not a day later like the EU store updates.

#11 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:29

Have to agree with it looking very xbox-y. And also have to agree with the mention of sonys lack of originality that was noted above.

#12 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:32

Do people actually watch videos to compare?

and

Besides some shapes and font, how are they identical?

#13 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:37

wow just watched some of the video, its NOTHING like Xbox Live. You actually see game content not a page full of ads for other companies.

I love the individual game view now, its not just a small icon and a wall of text and disclaimers like current PS Store, it has inline videos and such.

#14 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:29

Just found out it's apparently next week for EU, following week for US. We get something first for once :p

#15 red.

red.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:58

Of course, MS invented them :rofl:

The new search function looks great for a controller, much more user friendly for the masses.

I think it looks cool too however i think it could also become quite annoying if the letters are spaced quite far apart. Maybe if you're searching for something like 'haze'. (Although i don't know why you'd want to do that :p)

Overall though, i think the store looks much better than the current one.