Help with resetting Westell A90-750045-07 Rev A DSL modem & router

I have a Westell A90-750045-07 Rev A DSL modem and router. A few years ago when Verizon (now Frontier of course) sent it to me, they had me change the default username and password. Of course I have no record of what it changed to (though I recall we had some difficulty changing them), and now I need to forward some ports for uTorrent. However, I need a password to do this and I'm having trouble resetting it. (FWIW this is not the only reason I want access to my router - I'd like to change from WEP to WPA as well.)

The instructions I've found on the internet are to hold down the reset button for 45 seconds, but I've tried this 3 times (the last time, I held it for a full 60 seconds just in case) and the default username and password (which the net says are either admin and password or admin and admin) don't work.

Do I need to leave the modem plugged in to the wall while I hold the reset button, or unplug it? Should I unplug the phone and ethernet cables? Does the switch on the back need to be in the on or off position?

Try the 30/30/30 trick

With the router powered ON hold reset for 30 seconds, then while keeping reset held down, unplug the router from the power and keep reset pushed for another 30 seconds, and finally plug the power back in while still keeping reset held for a final 30 seconds

So basically press reset and hold it during the entire above process