• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:34

Hey folks,

I'm upgrading my keyboard soon and I've decided to go mechanical. I've done a bit of searching and reviewing and as far as I can tell the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is one of the best available. However, before I shell-out the cash, I thought I'd just make a post here and see if anyone else has one, and if so, what they think of it.

Tech Specs:
  • Full mechanical keys with 50g actuation force
  • Individually backlit keys with 5 levels of lighting
  • 1000Hz Ultrapolling / 1ms response time
  • Programmable keys with on-the-fly macro recording
  • Gaming mode option for deactivation of the Windows key
  • 10 customizable software profiles with on-the-fly switching
  • 5 additional macro keys
  • Gaming optimized key matrix for minimized ghosting
  • Multi-Media Controls
  • Braided fibre cable
  • Audio-Out / Mic-In Jacks
  • USB-Passthrough
  • Approximate Size : 475 mm / 18.70” (Width) x 171 mm / 6.73” (Height) x 30 mm / 1.18” (Depth)
  • Approximate Weight: 1500 g / 3.31 lbs
Image - Warning: 4445 × 2963, 1.8MB

#2 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:40

I like the dragon age 2 one. It's pretty! http://www.amazon.co...1/dp/B008U5ZNIG

#3 mthibadeau

mthibadeau

Neowinian

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:43

I'd never buy a razer product again. Guess I'm a slow learner, but the three razer mice I've had all crapped out after about a year. :s

#4 +Cryton

Cryton

Neowinian

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:53

I'm leaning towards the http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=4179#kf Gigabyte Aivia Osmium. USB3 pass-through, fully back-lit, fully mechanical, wheels for volume and back-light control. The only thing I'm unsure about is how tall it physically is.

#5 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:55

I own a mechanical keyboard, Das Keyboard, and I eventually chose to stop using it. As awesome as it was, and it was plenty amazing as far as being tactile, the responsiveness, etc., it was just way, way, way to loud. Just wanted to share this fact. I actually woke my wife up once, and I was 2 rooms away, when using it.

#6 OP compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:24

I'm leaning towards the http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=4179#kf Gigabyte Aivia Osmium. USB3 pass-through, fully back-lit, fully mechanical, wheels for volume and back-light control. The only thing I'm unsure about is how tall it physically is.

That one looks interesting. Might need to do some more research into that one. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I own a mechanical keyboard, Das Keyboard, and I eventually chose to stop using it. As awesome as it was, and it was plenty amazing as far as being tactile, the responsiveness, etc., it was just way, way, way to loud. Just wanted to share this fact. I actually woke my wife up once, and I was 2 rooms away, when using it.

Das Keyboards are supposed to be pretty good "in-between" typing and gaming keyboards. I've read a lot of good things about them, but I was hoping for something with more gaming features.

The noise level shouldn't really be too much of an issue for me.

#7 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:28

I personally love the Das keyboard Model S, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that others have.

Honestly, as long as the keyboard uses Cherry MX Switches, then it doesn't matter. Get one that you like the features of. Also keep in mind Cherry Blues are the best tactile switches, with browns being next. Reds and black switches are non-tactile switches.

#8 killmaster84

killmaster84

Neowins n00b

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:36

I have the Steelseries G7 and love it.

#9 OP compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:42

Also keep in mind Cherry Blues are the best tactile switches, with browns being next. Reds and black switches are non-tactile switches.

Posted Image

#10 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:43

Not mechanical however, the Aluminum Apple Keyboard (full keyboard not the half keyboard) is amazing i have been using it for a few years now.

#11 Jaybonaut

Jaybonaut

Neowinian

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:47

I'd never buy a razer product again. Guess I'm a slow learner, but the three razer mice I've had all crapped out after about a year. :s

As a previous reviewer of mice, I can make an immediate recommendation. I know it doesn't look like much, but the Logitech G9 or G9x is probably the best mouse I have ever used. My G9 is still being used today, 5 1/2 years after I bought it, with daily heavy use. I have built a new machine two months ago and finally bought a G9x simply because of how impressive the G9 was, and my wife needed a machine.

#12 OP compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 October 2012 - 18:51

That Gigabyte one seems good, but it uses red keys. I was hoping to find a keyboard with the blues.

#13 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:01

http://blog.logitech...aming-keyboard/ it's supposed to be silent and mechanical

#14 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:33

Absolutely stay away from razer products. Especially their keyboards. The failure rate for razer keyboards is very high.

That being said razer mechanical keyboards are one of the few (only) mechanical keyboards that I've ever seen that have dedicated media controls on them. Which is very important to me and one of the reasons I haven't picked up a mechanical keyboard yet. Their older models, anyways.

#15 OP compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:03

Absolutely stay away from razer products. Especially their keyboards. The failure rate for razer keyboards is very high.

That being said razer mechanical keyboards are one of the few (only) mechanical keyboards that I've ever seen that have dedicated media controls on them. Which is very important to me and one of the reasons I haven't picked up a mechanical keyboard yet. Their older models, anyways.

I've seen a lot of people claiming to have had bad experiences with Razer products, but to be fair, you could find a lot of people claiming to have had bad experiences with almost any product.

If there is some actually statistics about Razer product failure rates I'd love to see them.