Dark Souls is the worst console port

pc dark souls

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:32

When Dark Souls first came out on consoles, I played it, and loved every minute of it. It was a new experience for me, as I was not familiar with this genre and hadn't played much, or any game like it before.

Now, when it was out for PC, I was extremely happy, because I wanted to play more and if possible, finish it. (Not too many games in my system have the privilage to be finished :p )
So I went out a few days ago and bought it. Installed it, and then finished my assignment earlier so that I would be able to play it in the night.

So when I started it, the very first thing to notice was that it had those XBOX buttons, and not the keyboard ones, at the bottom, for page navigation thing. No worries. Somehow, I managed to get through and started the game

And there it was. After the initial promo video, I was struck by surprise that how bad it really was.
The controls are just plain awful. Even when I wanted to pause the game, I had to hit almost every single key on the keyboard to fing the one that pauses the game.

My thoughts exactly match this comment

You want the game for your platform? Oh ok, they say..but we really can't be bothered with much else, because we're inexperienced. Experienced enough though to charge full price for an ass-backwards menu system, useless mouse controls and woeful graphics options, with nothing really to support the best gaming platform. We seriously can't be bothered hiring someone with experience with PC games in all that time. Some modder who can satisfy the legion of steam users. Oh and heres Games for Windows slapped on to top it off. Here's your damn game, make of it what you will while we take your damn money

After five frustrating minutes, I quit it by Alt+F4 and un-installed it instantly.

Also, I would like to add that this is not the first time, I am playing a game that was ported to PC from consoles. I've, infact, played many, but this one, unfourtunately supersedes them

I'd rather want a game to stay console exclusive than turning it into a nightmare

#2 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:16

While the standard version is pretty terrible, still playable. Also this game should be played with a controller anyway.
You can mod the game quite easily which makes the game more playable.
DSfix is a must - http://blog.metaclas....com/?tag=dsfix
Then head over to Dark Souls Nexus to get other mods - http://darksouls.nexusmods.com
I believe there is even a mod the replaces the xbox button inputs with keyboard inputs.

#3 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:44

I am aware of the mods.
A friend of mine has a few of them running, and while he says that they have improved the overall gameplay, I still feel that it falls short of what I can call playable.

#4 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 18 October 2012 - 14:01

If I remember correctly, the developers stated that they didn't have any PC development experience. But they still delivered a playable game to the fans. I commend them for listening to the fans and giving them something which is certainly better than nothing. It falls well below my standards for a PC game but that doesn't mean other people won't enjoy it.

#5 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:31

Somewhere in the Steam description it states something along the lines of "Xbox 360 controller for Windows or equivalent gamepad is highly recommended."

#6 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:38

Gonna go with Prototype 1 as the worst pc port I've ever experienced. But I haven't played Dark Souls yet, so that may change. Disappointing that it's gotten a lack luster port as I was thinking I would get it soon.

#7 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:40

Dark Souls works perfectly fine? Not sure what people are complaining about. Plays exactly like the console version.

#8 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:52

If I remember correctly, the developers stated that they didn't have any PC development experience. But they still delivered a playable game to the fans. I commend them for listening to the fans and giving them something which is certainly better than nothing. It falls well below my standards for a PC game but that doesn't mean other people won't enjoy it.

If they were aware that it was going to be a such a ****ty port, it should have been free then.

#9 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:56

Dark Souls works perfectly fine? Not sure what people are complaining about. Plays exactly like the console version.

:|

I essentially agree with the OP. If you honestly can't offer a good, or even decent, quality PC port then you shouldn't bother with it at all. Accept console exclusivity. This is about knowing your limits and your capabilities. From Software over-reached and the shabby port is the proof.

It's a real shame a game like Dark Souls, which has had universal praise, now has this black-mark against them.

#10 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:13

Buy an Xbox360 controller for the PC. Many games just play better with a controller anyway. Problem solved.

#11 pupdawg21

pupdawg21

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:19

This is a game where the xbox 360 controller should be listed as a requirement on the box.

#12 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 October 2012 - 22:52

:|

I essentially agree with the OP. If you honestly can't offer a good, or even decent, quality PC port then you shouldn't bother with it at all. Accept console exclusivity. This is about knowing your limits and your capabilities. From Software over-reached and the shabby port is the proof.

It's a real shame a game like Dark Souls, which has had universal praise, now has this black-mark against them.

Except there is absolutely no difference between the PC and console versions of the game. They play EXACTLY THE SAME.

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 October 2012 - 23:05

How is that a bad thing? It's the same game. As has been said certain game types play better with a controller. This is one of them, and with a controller you have the best of both worlds.

#14 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:28

Except there is absolutely no difference between the PC and console versions of the game. They play EXACTLY THE SAME.

:rolleyes: People don't choose to game on their PCs to have the exact same experience as on a console.

In GameSpy's review of the PC version, the port was referred to as "shabby", citing the game's limit of 30 frames per second, poor mouse and keyboard controls, and nonadjustable resolution,

#15 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:16

How is that a bad thing? It's the same game. As has been said certain game types play better with a controller. This is one of them, and with a controller you have the best of both worlds.

Have you playes it yourself? I doubt it