Ubuntu doesn't see my NIC card

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 via wubi on my Win8 laptop, when I plug in my ethernet cable nothing happens, wifi works tho. Is it a driver issue? and if it is where can I get it?

I have a Lenovo Ideapad P580...and it has a Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

The driver is very new and isn't yet in the stable kernel. However, you can install the driver according to these instructions:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-headers-`uname -r`
wget -O- http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc.tar.bz2 | tar -xj
cd compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc
./scripts/driver-select alx
make
sudo make install

Then reboot or sudo modprobe alx.

I haven't tested them myself, so I'm not entirely sure if they'll work.

The driver is very new and isn't yet in the stable kernel. However, you can install the driver according to these instructions:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-headers-`uname -r`
wget -O- http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc.tar.bz2 | tar -xj
cd compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc
./scripts/driver-select alx
make
sudo make install

Then reboot or sudo modprobe alx.

I haven't tested them myself, so I'm not entirely sure if they'll work.

Oh thats why.... ok I'll try that and see what happens....and report back, thanks

Thanks it worked!! Now I need to get my skype to work, damn thing wont install.

Thanks it worked!! Now I need to get my skype to work, damn thing wont install.

Are you installing the package from the Ubuntu Software Centre or from the Skype website? The latter is usually more up-to-date.

I believe it can be installed from the partner repository:

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner"
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype

Are you installing the package from the Ubuntu Software Centre or from the Skype website? The latter is usually more up-to-date.

I believe it can be installed from the partner repository:

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner"
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype

This is what I got when I tried to install it..... The following packages have unmet dependencies:

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

and when i install from skype.com it tells me this" lib32stdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-21) but 4.7.2-2ubuntu1 is installed

Depends: ia32-libs but it is not installed

Depends: lib32gcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-21+ia32.libs.1.19) but 1:4.7.2-2ubuntu1 is installed"

most likely just need to wait for the next skype update

dependencies break like that every now and then with new versions of linux

when i install from skype.com it tells me this" lib32stdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-21) but 4.7.2-2ubuntu1 is installed Depends: ia32-libs but it is not installed Depends: lib32gcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-21+ia32.libs.1.19) but 1:4.7.2-2ubuntu1 is installed"

It sounds like you're using a 64bit Ubuntu install, but downloaded the 32bit version of skype. It's possible to install 32bit programs on 64bit Ubuntu, it's just that you'd have to install all the multilib stuff first. It's easier to just download the 64bit version of skype.

It might also be worth running a

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

to ensure you're running the latest software.

It sounds like you're using a 64bit Ubuntu install, but downloaded the 32bit version of skype. It's possible to install 32bit programs on 64bit Ubuntu, it's just that you'd have to install all the multilib stuff first. It's easier to just download the 64bit version of skype.

It might also be worth running a

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

to ensure you're running the latest software.

I'm running the latest software, but its still not working and I went to the link you posted and its still the same thing it takes me to the 64-bit version anyways. Doesn't work

that didn't help either, thanks though...it keeps telling me that I don't have "package ia-32libs" installed.