#1 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:40

Posted Image

Official Site
Development Blog

Warsaw, 18 October 2012 – CD Projekt RED has officially announced the title of its in-development role-playing game. "Cyberpunk 2077" will be set in the world created by Mike Pondsmith, one of the fathers of the cyberpunk genre and the creator of the cult-classic pen-and-paper RPG, Cyberpunk.

"The Team has to love the material. The Team has to want to be faithful to the material. The Team has to have the skills to execute the material and see that vision through to the end. They have to be on fire with the desire to make an extraordinary game.

And that leads, at last, to why we hooked up with CD Projekt RED" – Mike Pondsmith commented, why he has chosen to work with the Polish game developer.

The cyberpunk atmosphere, well known from William Gibson's novels, the "Blade Runner" movie and the famous pen-and-paper game, "Cyberpunk 2020", will surround the player. The creators promise that "Cyberpunk 2077" will be true to the essence of the cyberpunk genre. Players will be thrown into the dark future of the year 2077 and into a world where advanced technologies have become both the salvation and the curse of humanity. A multi-thread, nonlinear story designed for mature players (a CD Projekt RED trademark) will take place in the sprawling metropolis of Night City and its surroundings. Players will have a chance to visit places well known from "Cyberpunk 2020", including a combat zone completely taken over by gangs, the legendary Afterlife joint and the nostalgic Forlorn Hope.

Freedom of action and diversity in gameplay will be delivered thanks to the sandbox nature of the game and mechanics inspired by the "Cyberpunk 2020" pen-and-paper system, fine tuned to meet the requirements of a modern RPG. Gameplay will pump adrenaline through players' veins and be consistent with the celebrated Cyberpunk spirit – rebellion, style, edge, uncertainty. And of course, a cyberpunk reality cannot be deprived of murderous steel – guns, rifles, implants, dozens of gadgets and other varied pieces of equipment needed to survive on the streets of Night City. The developers are focused on making the technology of 2077 credible and exciting.

For more info please visit the newly launched blog: cyberpunk.net and read some articles written by both the developers from CD Projekt RED and Mike Pondsmith himself.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• 1,027 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:24

Well, the thing about Mike Pondsmith is not right, he wasn't one of the fathers of the genre. The genre was originally created by Bruce Bethke in 1983, but if you really want to get technical then you can actually say it was created by Philip K. Dick ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"), Ridley Scott, Hampton Fancher and David Peoples with "Blade Runner".

#3 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

• 266 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:40

First person? Third Person?
sounds interesting as i love cyberpunk style games. Rise of the Dragon, Nightlong. I just never understood why the sun can never shine when it comes to anything "cyberpunk"

#4 UKDarkJedi

UKDarkJedi

Neowinian

• 1,141 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 13:41

Must admit I'm really looking forward to what this could become. CDPR have a lot of work on their hands.

#5 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,186 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 17:04

This looks the bomb!

Very Shadowrun :D

#6 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 21 October 2012 - 17:22

Sounds interesting, though I'm still waiting for the day another Syndicate Plus/Syndicate Wars comes along, and by that I mean a strategy game not some ****ty generic FPS that's got nothing to do with the franchise.

#7 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,712 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:26

I wish it was a real Shadowrun game instead of cyberpunk, but yeah, this will be nice to, at least until the shadowrun rights holders get around. We do have a real mechwarrior again so there is hope.

As for the origin of cyberpunk, you have to differentiate the "cyber" genre with the cyberpunk sub genre. The cyberpunk is more or less from the 80's

#8 Kryspy

Kryspy

Neowinian

• 35 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:51

Cyberpunk = William Gibson

#9 Dreamspell

Dreamspell

Neowinian

• 254 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:00

#10 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

• 4,928 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:10

Holy crap that trailer was bad ass.

#11 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,881 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:13

Good to see that the CP "mythos" may survive. Pondsmith was a really good RPG designer. I have all of the R. Talsorian games.

#12 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,133 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:17

Love it. I grew up on that genre and look forward to seeing this new project.

#13 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:29

I saw a screenshot a few days ago, glad a trailer-ish videos kinda out ! Doesn't look bad, not sure what it sounds like due to alsa going awol but I hope it does turn out good, not enough cyperpunk games.

#14 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,019 posts
  • Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:29

Didnt like the trailer. Original Cyberpunk (Phillip K Dick, William Gibson, Riddley Scott), is grittier, darker, relatively clunky. Its aesthetic is a modern form of retro futurism. Everything in that trailer, from the HORRIBLE music to the aesthetics and the technology seems sophisticated, relatively clean. That's not cyberpunk, it's sci-fi. Wouldn't have a problem with that but they choose to use the word Cyberpunk, a word that implies a very specific aesthetic and setting.

#15 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,764 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:36

While the teaser was good for a teaser....it didn't show any game play. I don't see very much to get excited about yet.